Why Venezuela wants to annex two-thirds of the country next door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone is wrong on the Internet. They must be rectified.

guys, come on

read the date on the OP

read the content of the necro post

Should make a new thread on Venezuela since its economic problems have reached boiling point ?
Though really is there enough interest in rehashing yet another economic melt down.

Should make a new thread on Venezuela since its economic problems have reached boiling point ?
Though really is there enough interest in rehashing yet another economic melt down.

What I would be interested in is compiling a list of all public figures who have throughout the years praised Venezuela as a model for the rest of the developing world. These people should be held accountable for their idiocy.

I can start.

Imbecile #1: Noam Chomsky

What I would be interested in is compiling a list of all public figures who have throughout the years praised Venezuela as a model for the rest of the developing world. These people should be held accountable for their idiocy.

I can start.

Imbecile #1: Noam Chomsky

Come on. You know that cutthroat conspiracies and relentless economic aggression of US imperialists (and their Guyanan stooges!) are the only reasons behind certain... challenges the great state of Venezuela currently faces! :cool:

God, reading Pangur Bán idiotic posts again nearly triggered me. Not sure why I did that.

I almost wish I'd been around in 2015 to participate in the OG version of the thread, since the 1895 Venezuela boundary crisis is a scholarly specialty of mine.

...almost.

I thought you were a scholarly expert on more or less everything, Dachs.

Who would vote to be Anschluss by Venezuela given the state of the country ?
The amount of petrodollars per person is much lower then the wealthy gulf states, then there was nationalization which done poorly and run poorly. The final nail is the oil price collapse and drought bringing things close to critical.

Total misreading of US diplomacy, Seems that Venezuela main trading partner is the US and well the paranoia on display was pretty over the top.
Really though Venezuela could have avoided sanctions.

I wonder if the country will survive until 2018 elections ?

As floundering oil prices cause economic chaos in Venezuela, things have deteriorated to the point where many government offices are open barely two days a week to save electricity. Food shortages are spurring lengthy lines for basic necessities, and drought has made the situation worse as even water becomes scarce.

In times of oil booms, Venezuelan governments go on spending sprees that don’t really generate into productive domestic industrial sectors. That means the country has become dependent on imports. While oil money is flowing, you can buy whatever imports that you want, but when that oil money stops, you have much less resources to buy.

petrostate has been deepened considerably during the Chávez and Maduro years to expropriate large sectors of the productive economy. The idea was that a productive apparatus could emerge on the basis of state-owned and worker-operated enterprises. The trouble with that is that basically these companies, even though they were state-run, were competing against much better profit-oriented enterprises.

The third factor, which is probably the most significant at this stage to explain why the crisis is so deep, is the currency controls -- which were implemented in 2003 after an oil industry strike aimed at ousting Chávez. Currency controls are usually a measure that you take for a year or two at the most, because after that, it creates an incentive for corruption, and that’s exactly what has happened. It created disincentives for production, and incentives for purchasing, hoarding and then reselling the scarce goods that there are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/06/05/whats-behind-the-economic-chaos-in-venezuela/

God, reading Pangur Bán idiotic posts again nearly triggered me. Not sure why I did that.
If it helps, reading your response to him felt rather cathartic even as a bystander.

And I learned some more about Guyana, a country I previously did not give much of a thought, so I'm not even mad about the necro. Thanks for writing that up one year in the past.

I don't think I ever posted here either, but I read the thread when it was happening, and I really appreciated your posts Mise. Very interesting and informative. :)

Who would vote to be Anschluss by Venezuela given the state of the country ?
The amount of petrodollars per person is much lower then the wealthy gulf states, then there was nationalization which done poorly and run poorly. The final nail is the oil price collapse and drought bringing things close to critical.

Total misreading of US diplomacy, Seems that Venezuela main trading partner is the US and well the paranoia on display was pretty over the top.
Really though Venezuela could have avoided sanctions.

I wonder if the country will survive until 2018 elections ?

As a point of information, the United States has not placed sanctions on the country of Venezuela.

Here is the sanctions order:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/venezuela_eo.pdf

The United States had placed sanctions on seven (7) people who are citizens of Venezuela.

I don't see how placing sanctions on 7 people is supposed to be responsible for crippling an entire nation.

The entire "sanctions" arguement is a red herring presented by the incompetents that have been running the country into the ground. Maduro and others are blaming the US sanctions for the country's miserable circumstances because he must cast blame away from himself or the prior El Commandante.

The United States had placed sanctions on seven (7) people who are citizens of Venezuela.

I don't see how placing sanctions on 7 people is supposed to be responsible for crippling an entire nation.

The entire "sanctions" arguement is a red herring presented by the incompetents that have been running the country into the ground. Maduro and others are blaming the US sanctions for the country's miserable circumstances because he must cast blame away from himself or the prior El Commandante.

Huh, seems that the entire backlash from south American countries was more over the wording and timing. Though it seems the Chávez’s family and party members had acquired massive wealth which was moved to America other then that these sanctions are pretty much would be symbolic only and a blow to prestige and image that come with that.

And I had though it was actual sanctions. US remains the main trade partner accounting for 1/3rd of total trade.

Well, of course, Venezuela blasted the US and the free market while selling oil to US companies at ridiculous prices that you can only charge in a capitalistic free market.

This was news to me, hardly get anything from Latin-America over here. Now that was a stupid move Venezuela, going up against the largest oil company in the world... Seems like a US invasion is inevitable.

Moderator Action: Please don't post in old threads. --LM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom