1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst pain of your life?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RedRalph, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Let me just say that one thing I never want to here again from a physician is:
    "We used to use local anesthesia before this procedure, but it never seemed to do any good."

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

That was right before the general anesthesia, right?

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Can't definitely say which was the worst.
    Appendix irritation, migraine in the youth, or the one time when i managed to cut once straight through the surface of the thumbs tip.
    Oh, getting formic acid directly on an open nerve during wart removal, that one probably.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Ear infection in high school.

It felt like somebody was screwing my ear with a very thin hot metal rod. When the pain started it was unbearable.. All I could do is sit in my bed and rock back and forth..

I wouldn't wish such pain upon the worst of my enemies

5. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Forcible injection of a sedative. That stuff moves like molasses in your veins.

6. Ai Shizuka

Ai Shizuka King

Exposed elbow dislocation with some microfractures and several cut ligaments.

Not the accident itself, but the first months of rehabilitation.

EDIT: birth (for the partorient), renal colitis and trigeminal neuralgia are usually considered the top 3 most severe "natural" pains.

7. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

For several years, I'd had constant sciatic pain that prevented me from sitting or walking normally. By this past summer, I was forced to limp everywhere, and was increasingly distracted by the pain. I recently underwent back surgery to remove the problem, and thus far it has been successful.

About a year and a half ago, I contracted a urinary tract infection, because I am a slut. For some time before the diagnosis, I was peeing blood and convinced that I had a kidney stone. As it was, my dick hurt like hell for about two weeks before I was able to acquire antibiotics.

In my senior year of high school, I had an extremely severe ear infection that ruptured my eardrum. Aside from the utterly disgusting feeling of exuding blood, pre-earwax gunk, and other bodily fluids from my ear, the pressure on my ear before the rupture was insanely painful. Last time we had a thread about this crap, that's what I posted.

8. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

How does one get a urinary tract infection? I got chlamydia last year and it burned when I peed but I've never heard of a urinary tract infection as an STD, is it?

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Oh yeah, I had that happen to me, I'd forgotten about it.

Actual rupture wasn't painful for me though, I'd finally managed to pass out from exhaustion and the eardrum ruptured in my sleep.

10. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

It's much less common - usually, in men, a UTI is a result of prostate or bladder problems - but definitely possible.
    Yeah, I wasn't that lucky. It ruptured in the middle of my computational architecture class. At least it was an afternoon class instead of a morning one.

11. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

So... your... ouch. I felt some of that pain just reading that.

I was once stabbed in the leg of all places with a ruddy screwdriver - that's the North for you I guess. That probably qualifies for 'worst pain ever' in my own book; I've not been incompetant enough to injure myself through DIY or anything like that, and apart from a few broken wotsits boxing and playing rugby I've generally avoided serious injury.

12. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

I once passed several spaghetti noodles from my mouth into and out my nose. I'm not sure this was the most painful, but it hurt pretty bad and it was sufficiently weird to post in this thread.

13. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

When I was a child I had liquid nitrogen applied to my foot to remove a skin condition. Not worth it at all. I'd take the wart over that anyday.

14. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton King, Warrior, Prophet, Magician, Lover

Spaghetti noodles are impressive. I only had chewed bread with butter and salami. Unpleasant feeling, the sole thought of having food pass through your nose makes it only worse. Which reminds of the time I had my appendix taken out and the doctor decided it was a good idea to empty my stomach by a tube.
    So there was this doctor bend over me and holding the tube and before I even knew what was going on he rammed this tube into my noise and pushed, and pushed, and pushed... The weirdest feeling I ever experienced.

15. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

I am this.

I am also this.

Sorry for the lame answer, but all of the things I have really felt pain over were psychological things.

16. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Dachs has had enough pain for me...

17. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Worst pain I ever experienced was a speedskating crash in 2006 at Kenai, Alaska in the Arctic Winter Games. During the early stages of the 1500 meter race, an Alaskan skater tried a dangerous inside pass on me and lost control, taking both of us out. When we hit the boards at top speed, one of my competitor's skates got kicked through my knee. It shattered the lateral condyle of my right femur, and the tip of his blade broke off inside the flesh. I extricated myself from the crash, not realizing the damage at first, and tried to get up, and my leg collapsed. There was a huge trail of blood behind me, and then I fell down on the ice with the other guy looking at me, terrified. The pain hit around then- I later told the paramedics that it was about an 8/10, on a scale of no pain to having burning needles impaling my body. They eventually got me immobilized and off the ice, and apparently it took them a while to scrape the frozen blood off the ice before they could resume races.

My knee, when the doctors took a look at it, closely resembled lasagna. A few hundred stitches, one titanium screw and a large pump draining the wound later, and everything was back together, although it would take me about two months for me to even be able to bend my knee, and four months to get the ability to walk back.

The feeling of the pump's tube getting pulled out of my leg was also exceedingly uncomfortable, but honestly the feeling was so alien that I don't even think I could describe it as pain. Maybe that can go under 'weirdest sensation'.

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

19. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Poor Iggy.

I've never really had any serious physical pain. Only emotional pain.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I should note that I've made a near-full recovery, returned to speedskating about 6 months after the crash, made qualifying times 8 months afterwards, and participated in the 2007 Canada Winter Games in my hometown of Whitehorse only 12 months afterwards. :D