1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would alien life eat us?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Snoopy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Since when has that stopped people eating junkfood? Or tacbobell.

2. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

You may as well ask - would we eat alien life? If we felt it to be save, I am sure we would!

3. Silurian

Silurian Deity

I have never seen a tacbobell are they eaten in Roswell

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I would eat aliens if they were tasty, healthy and not too intelligent.

5. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

If they could, they might. Humans are also biologically suited to creating fat, which is a proven fuel source. The question is, are aliens eating humans currently?

6. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I agree that they it probably wouldn't, deliberately, because it'd be more inefficient than eating other stuff.

But beware, they might come after our horns! :eek:

7. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

I think the relevant question is probably why would they?

I mean, inventing interstellar travel and sending off a bold party of noble space travellers in a hugely-expensive spacecraft at the very pinnacle of technology at an enormous cost of energy and time, on a legendary odyssey across the very stars themselves, just to chow down on a bit of meat that will probably give you really bad indigestion anyway?
    I'm not a physicist, so I can't work out the whole energy in/energy out equation on that, but I reckon it would leave you significantly in the negative.

That said, if it was on my plate, I would totally eat an alien cow steak.

8. really

really Deity

If aliens came here they would probably keep us as pets.

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Prince

wow, I remember a time when people actually read the thread instead of jumping to post their reply and hoping it was relevant.

And also, where have all the smart people gone? Perfection, i'm a little disappointed in your response. :)

10. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

Assuming life everywhere is the same, DNA and sugar based, I think I heard there is a 1 in 4 chance we (earth) would fit into their diet. It has something to do with "spin direction" that are possible with these chemicals. However if we were compatible I don't see why they would not enslave us and eat our cows.

11. Silurian

Silurian Deity

There is a thing with left and right handed molecules but that would not stop them wanting to eat us if they were the other hand.

12. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Russel's Teapot.

Invisible Pink Unicorns will eat us first.

13. klar_heiland

klar_heiland Chieftain

Well, it depends

;)

14. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

There's no particular reason to assume that we would be biologically un/suitable for their nutrition, so it's more of an ethical question of whether humans should be used for sustenance (if possible) and labor, or left to their own devices. If human history can be a sufficient guideline, they would not be anti-speciesist as a whole, so the answer is probably yes (at least for labor).

15. say1988

say1988 Deity

Assuming biological compatibility, it would likely be more effort than it is worth to consume humans on a large scale. Any alien with interstellar travel would be in a far better position to eat the meat that we do. Cows, pigs, goats, sheep, etc are far more docile and easy to maintain and slaughter large populations of. Though if humans taste good, being a delicacy is not out of the question.

I also have doubts about such an advanced species using extensive slave labour. Simply because their technology would povide much greater efficiency using a few of well educated and motivated individuals than masses of slaves doing manual labour. Of course, being exploited without actual slavery is another option.

16. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Not so true: Bread and Circuses (and humans may be more nutritious than cows/etc).

17. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

They would make scarfs or stuffed hummies of us, and I think that's the most deserved way to deal with humanity. :devil:

18. NetGear

NetGear King

If they did want to eat us, they'd probably pick the tastiest man and breed him like we do with our food anyway.

That guy would be the unluckiest or luckiest. imagine all the forced breedings! He better hope hot chicks tastes good and alien prefer their meat lean.

19. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

What if Slavery is part of their equivalent of a Caste System?

20. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Why do aliens always have to be enemies? Why can't they be friends?