Your opinion about Tibet?

What do you think Tibet belongs to

• It is its own country.

Votes: 77 49.7%
  • It is Chinese.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • I don't care! Not like it makes much of a difference.

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters
I think most Tibetans want some sort full or near-to-full autonomy, which China isn't agreeing to because of at least a few known sticking points (like how it hates the Dalai Lama). I think 'Tibetan independence' and "Free Tibet" is not always referring to complete separation.

Surprisingly, I agree with you. However, I'll like to make a point on that "Tibetan independence" and "Free Tibet" when used by our beloved Western radicals and Tibetans born overseas (out of touch with local conditions despite being Tibetan) are pushing for an independent Tibet, aka a complete separation.

That is why Tibet will never gain independence in the near future. To allow Tibet to secede would violate the majority of the natives wishes. It is horrible what China did, but to allow Tibet to go free would probably result in a genocide of the ethnic Hans.

And the genocide of Tibetans by massive mobs of Han Chinese moving into Tibet :( There are a lot of ah... extremely nationalistic people over there.

Free tibet, Free tibet, Free tibet, Free tibet, Free tibet,

Tibet

Quite the necropost.

Surprisingly, I agree with you. However, I'll like to make a point on that "Tibetan independence" and "Free Tibet" when used by our beloved Western radicals and Tibetans born overseas (out of touch with local conditions despite being Tibetan) are pushing for an independent Tibet, aka a complete separation.

And I don't see why full autonomy isn't possible. Perhaps the fact that so many Hans are settled there now is, but I think that is not right. This sort of deliberate settlement of your ethnic group has always spelled trouble historically. Look at Alsace-Lorraine, for one example. No solution in sight, I suppose. I do think, however, that the Chinese have to wake up and realise one day that they have not done right in Tibet and Xinjiang, even if they claim to bring economic development to these regions (I don't think economic development is worth any price).

That is why Tibet will never gain independence in the near future. To allow Tibet to secede would violate the majority of the natives wishes. It is horrible what China did, but to allow Tibet to go free would probably result in a genocide of the ethnic Hans.

They don't hate Han Chinese. Most of the Tibetans respect other people. They just hate the government putting Han Chinese over at Tibet. The problem is the Chinese gov't is affecting all of China, not just Tibet, and instead of Tibet going free, China has to change their government (like that's ever going to happen but...).

They don't hate Han Chinese. Most of the Tibetans respect other people. They just hate the government putting Han Chinese over at Tibet...
Some of them do. And most of the resentment and hatred isn't directed at the cadres and 'volunteers' which are sent there by the government, but at the ordinary civilians who go there on their own, attracted by economic potential. These mobile immigrants (usually coming from neighboring Szechuan and Yunnan), being by nature more economically savvy and possessing more enterpreneural spirit than the native Tibetans (a trademark of Han Chinese everywhere), soon can be seen reaping the results of their labors, while the natives have gained only very little to show, if there's any at all. Recipe for resentment and discontent right there. Add to that traditional Tibetan religious mumbo-jumbo and dislike for materialism and any conflict now doesn't come as a surprise anymore. Haven't anyone noticed how during the riots it was the trappings of modern society - motorcycle, cellphone and fashion shops that were targeted?

So a breakaway of Tibet not resulting in ethnic violence across both sides of the new border? Dream on...

Tibet should be indepedent (as with many ethno-linguistic areas), but its currently Chinese (this poll really doesn't make any sense). China, Tibet and East Turkestan (why does everyone call East Turkestan Xinjian but not call Tibet Xizing?) could become more of a confederation...

Sometimes it's reasonable. In this case, I don't think so.

I'm not asking "why". I can understand why you would want to necro a thread. I just don't understand "how", particularly when it's a random comment like in this thread.
Do people do a search, go to the last page of the results, pick a random thread there and post in it? That's an incredibly weird way to use an internet forum.

Top Bottom