0.19.1: Unofficial Update to the Unofficial Patch

Cool. So, to paraphrase - Bhruics implementation of Solvers fix for the forest spam bug is included as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears your zip includes the map generator "Full of resources". It is not something I had encountered previously when playing 3.17 with 0.19 solvers patch, but I could be wrong.
While I am not averse to trying out additional content, the thing that bugs me is that it comes up as the default map whenever I generate a custom game. Is there any way to make it not the default map type when generating a custom game? (obviously I could just remove it, but I might take a look into its features at a later date)

Sorry if this is a naive question. If i install the patch will i no longer be able to play BOTMXX?
Is it a mod that i can choose to use or is it a change to the software?
regards

I'm pretty sure BOTMXX is played under its own MOD. As long as BOTM's MOD is compatible with the Official 3.17, then the Unofficial Patches won't affect it.

unfortunately not quite true. the BOTM and GOTM and WOTM use the HOF-Mod which in order to prevent cheating makes sure that none of the core files are modified (it uses a checksum generated by the game and AFAIK this does include the dll in this generation). So the unofficial patch will trigger a message about altered game files in the HOF-Mod and most likely lead to the exclusion of the game. In order to make sure that it works in this case you need to install the unofficial patch as a mod (most likely grumbler's installer will allow you to do so) :)
However the HOF-Mod usually includes most if not all fixes in these unofficial patches up to the date of its most recent release.

As for this release :goodjob: on improving the unofficial patch :)

Thanks for the clarification ori. Seems silly to me that a change in a file that isn't used (the dll) would cause the flags to go up, but to be safe, installing the unofficial patch as a Mod sounds like the way to go.

Thanks guys that's very helpful.

Thanks much for this!!

Question: What's the deal with making "Barrage promotion for armor" units a toggle? Some people find that risque?

@GoodGame: The short answer is that Official 3.17 rendered Barrage promos for units that don't have inherent collateral damage (like tanks) useless. The choice when Solver released the first versions of the Unofficial Patch was to remove the promo from them in order to keep consistent with the behavior of the official patch but to fix the internal calculations so that if you chose to mod them back in, they'd actually work. The long answer is read through the first several pages of the original sticky topic.

Is it correct that the only file I actually NEED to change for this to take effect is the gamecore.dll?

I thought I had read that about solvers patch and I assume this is the same?

Yes, the DLL is the only thing absolutely necessary. The only changes in the XML are the removal of barrage from armor and a couple of text display entries for the civilopedia and unit hovers. The only changes in the Python are reenabling the Glance Screen and hiding the favorite civic info when playing under Random Personalities, and showing the demographics when playing under No Espionage.

Dresden, thanks a ton for releasing this! I have delayed starting my next game since this post from July 31st, expecting a new release any day. Unfortunately, Solver hasn't logged in since August 8th. :( I hope he's well. But at least I can start my game now without the frustration of seeing a crucial new release some days later (I'm playing huge games which may take weeks to finish, so I take care to start with the latest patch). So, thanks again for taking action. :thumbsup:

Yup! I just have to echo these thanks, Dresden, especially for having (almost all ;)) collateral damage issues fixed now!!!
:thumbsup::goodjob::hatsoff:

Edit: I'm just a bit confused--didn't Solver also fix the self-closeness bug in CvPlayerAI::AI_playerCloseness so that it also got into your 0.19.1 or were that only the BetterAI guys? If not maybe put that into 0.19.2? :)

Dresden, thanks a ton for releasing this! I have delayed starting my next game since this post from July 31st, expecting a new release any day. Unfortunately, Solver hasn't logged in since August 8th. :( I hope he's well.

<shrug> Likely just summer holidays. In any case, I'm sure Solver offers a money-back guarantee if you're not happy with his patch.

I see your point, though. I didn't install Solver's patch because it is too early in the release cycle.

But at least I can start my game now without the frustration of seeing a crucial new release some days later (I'm playing huge games which may take weeks to finish, so I take care to start with the latest patch). So, thanks again for taking action. :thumbsup:

If you install it in CustomAssets, you can upgrade it whenever you want. You don't need to restart a [single player] game just because a new release comes out.

Yup! I just have to echo these thanks, Dresden, especially for having (almost all ;)) collateral damage issues fixed now!!!
:thumbsup::goodjob::hatsoff:
Heh. I figured I might miss something but didn't think it'd be something that was a separate topic in this forum. :blush: Certainly something to consider for future releases, especially since the behavior doesn't match the help text.

Edit: I'm just a bit confused--didn't Solver also fix the self-closeness bug in CvPlayerAI::AI_playerCloseness so that it also got into your 0.19.1 or were that only the BetterAI guys? If not maybe put that into 0.19.2? :)
Solver decided to leave that one to BetterAI because of all the potential unforeseen consequences of fixing that. (Reference) I share the view that it only be included in an Unofficial Patch release after the BetterAI users have hammered on it for awhile and found it working okay. It's something to keep in mind though.

If you have the zip/rar version, look in the CvGameCoreDLL directory of the archive; only those files which have changed from the Official 3.17 are included.

If you use grumbler's installer, I'm not sure but I *think* the CvGameCoreDLL directory in the BTS install folder gets updated with the new files and the old ones get backed up to a subfolder there. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong ;)

Top Bottom