1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1700AD Scenario Development Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Krugi

Krugi At heart

Here's why your proposal is impossible to implement: whether you start the game in 3000 BC, 600 AD or 1700 AD, the underlying calendar remains the same. Calendar, in this sense, means the interval of years that passes with each turn. All the aforementioned dates are on the calendar, whereas 1701 AD is not, because no game turn corresponds to 1701 AD.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

What is it with Gangnam style in this forum lately?

I thought that annoying fad had already died.

3. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

I understand now. While having the scenario begin in 1701 AD would be a nice Easter Egg, I now understand that it won't work. I am sorry to all the people whose time I wasted with this suggestion. I have a better idea for how to include 1701 as an Easter Egg (the amount of gold required for the first Pirate UHV - check the Pirate thread I made)

4. AtlantaMarty

What's annoying about Gangnam Style? I thought it was pretty funny.

5. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

It was awesome for me until ~March, then it was basically dead. I have a friend who still tells me to put Gangnam style on during Magic the Gathering games, and it isn't fun.

Apparently, there's a group of people that are trying to get it to 2 billion views, and it already has 1.5 billion views on YouTube.

6. Krugi

Krugi At heart

People thought that it was relevant and modern, but it is actually not relevant and modern. That is the joke.

7. yurisusuki

yurisusuki Hope, Faith and love

8. Leoreth

Like the first time you watch it. Not the 999 times after.

And this might sound hipsterish, but all the mainstream radio stations picking it up and airing it four months later were just making it worse.

9. UnholyMudcrab

UnholyMudcrab Chieftain

You keep throwing the Easter egg description out there, and I still don't understand why. What makes the year 1701 an Easter egg?

10. AtlantaMarty

It's a reference to this game: http://www.ign.com/games/1701-ad/pc-619892

11. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Just realized there is no Mongolia to be found in v.1.11. Began playing as Prussia and opened up the WB to see how the others were faring after the game told me that China had captured Rangoon (Yangon). So I look at Asia and see no Mongolia. Not even an Indie city to represent Ulaan Bator. Is this normal?

12. Locutus_Morti

Locutus_Morti Prince

No Mongolia in 1700AD, or Ulaan Bator. Perfectly fine.

13. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Went ahead and read a bit. I was surprised to find out that you were in fact, correct. No Mongolia, or Ulaan Bator. There wasn't even a permanent settlement there, they reverted to their nomadic ways. But they will show up later on, right? Or won't they? At least to autosettle them when the time comes :lol: The USSR must have Mongolia :D

14. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I don't think they can respawn if there are no cities in Mongolia. However, Korea does love Mongolia, so there is a chance it'll fill it up, though its love usually takes the form of conquering indies there, not settling it.

15. Hightower

Hightower Prince

Mongolia is the least densely populated country in the entire world today and has never been of any political, economic or military significance since the fall of the Yuan. I think it's okay if they're totally unrepresented for the entirety of the game on a 1700 start.

16. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Indeed it is, several people still live just like in the old days. Still, it's such an empty space... I guess I'll just place three (Independent-controlled of course) Mongolian cities there and watch what happens. Maybe if they respawn they'll become vassals to someone. Which would be fine, Mongolia can't do squat on the 1700 onwards, their UU and UB are both pretty much obsolete.

...Then again, while I'm at that, I might put a couple cities at Manchuria. Hopefully that'll make things interesting. Ditched Prussia (left then with a good head start) and went for the US, let's see what happens. :)

17. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Thanks for changing Spanish starting revealed map. Is it known who starts with circumnavigation in 1700 AD? On top of UU bonus, do Spanish get extra MP for ships? Even without extra +1 :move: Spanish ships should not be that fast in my opinion... There were Navies more impressive than in Espania...

One very personal and important request... That mountain 2 tiles south of Warsaw... Can we change it to hill pretty please? Krakow can fit there perfectly, Carpates and long before and even if they dont -- there is no rocky mountains that tall south of Masovia...

18. Leoreth

No one has the circumnavigation bonus in the 1700 AD scenario I think, and you cannot achieve it there.

19. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Spanish should have, if possible.

20. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Iyasu the Great was ruling in Ethiopia in 1700, why are they not present as a Civilization? :confused:

Also, wouldn't you expect to see thee Great Northern War and War of Spanish succession upon the start of the scenario, with corresponding defensive pact between countries? I know you dont like the idea of civs starting at war, but we cannot simply ignore 1700 reality.