1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1700AD Scenario Development Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

How horrible.

2. The Southerner

The Southerner Warlord

Can I add to this and suggest that New Orleans be moved one tile SE (the peninsula with the cows on it) to be in its correct geographical location on the Mississippi - the cows should be moved to where the city was. I make this change using WB in all of my games - it makes them more interesting, aggravated and realistic IMHO.

Also the ocean needs to be brought to Quebec (maybe by changing a tile E or NE of the city to sea/coast? This would represent the St Lawrence being navigable and it's status as a port IRL (similiar geographically to Hamburg if you know what I mean), etc?

DISCLAIMER: Sorry - I posted this before reading about version 1.11 being finalised.

3. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

I think since it's not released yet it's still be okay to post some suggestions about that...

I hope we can still post some 1700AD dev suggestion though in the middle of v1.12 dev.

4. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

5. therox

therox Hydralisk

what's the difference ? you only like games with 1701 on it ?

6. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

1700 AD because the other scenarios is 3000 BC and 600 AD, not 2999 BC and 601 AD, respectively ;)

7. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

It's an approximation of the actual historical date anyways.

8. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

To reinforce your point even further: last time I played Japan, I killed Prussia's starting stack with trebuchets and samurais with my elite troops having 50% odds in the first rounds.

9. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Few remarks about starting situation on 1700 AD map:

Panama was one of the first European cities on Pacific Ocean, starting point of Pissaro's expedition, early Spanish colonization center, it was Royal Audiencia sit more than once and the only place where ships can actually cross Americas now. But with our map structure we have at lease 2 Mexican/Mayan cities capable of doing it, while one cannot even settle Panama before Biology. If nothing can be added to prevent Mexican/Mayan cities to act as a Chanel can we at least make Panama's tile more prominent that it is now? Allow to settle there -- will represent the Colombian core's boundary in Central America, for example...

Also some minor things:

• Port Royal was destroyed by famous earthquake few years before 1700, so we better call city on Haiti .. Port au Prince...
    • Guyanas are given disproportionally big importance, in terms of size, number of cities and useful land. Out of 5 existed Guyanas perhaps only British Guyana will better reflect reality given the scale of the map. More jungles, less resources.
    • Jamaica would represent British presence in Caribbean better than Barbados, part of Kingston's culture could touch Central American coast alluding to existence of Belize.
    • Visible map for Spanish 1970 start should represent Western route to Philippines via Pacific, not the Eastern one along the African coast. Famous Manila Galleons would travel Manila-Acapulco-Veracruz-Havana-Cadiz route for centuries.
    • Map has all the capitals of future Latin American countries except for Asuncion, but Portugal manages to found it before Argentina's start anyway. Instead, perhaps Spanish city would be a better idea there for 1700 start.
    • As I said before, Montevideo should have less food resources than Buenos Aries.

10. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

Did you play as Japan on a 3000 BC start and let some your enemies survive till as late as 1700 AD? :D j/k.

11. AtlantaMarty

I understand your point, but having the scenario start in 1701 AD would be a nice little easter egg.

12. Hippo8085

Hippo8085 Shaken, not stirred

Easter Egg = Hidden

Scenarios start at turn 0, not 1. 1700 AD as 0 or 1701 as 0, be the judge.

13. therox

therox Hydralisk

Yeah... no

14. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

I still support a 10,000 BC map.

15. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

Agreed. Maybe there should be a scenario even earlier where you try to get the Homo Sapiens to migrate out of Africa and into the rest of the world.

16. AtlantaMarty

Why not?

PS: I think having Joe Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army spawn as barbarians in Uganda in 1987 would also be a cool easter egg. A nice reference to a viral video.

17. Hippo8085

Hippo8085 Shaken, not stirred

Did you read this?

Your Easter Eggs would be fairly game-breaking, and not really very much fun. You could revive the completely dumb ideas thread if you want.

18. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Or even earlier, where you just spend 50 turns researching the tech "sentience"

19. Krugi

Krugi At heart

If the game started in 1701, all the following calendar dates would be off as well, which conflicts with the UHV conditions tied to specific years.

The Kony »viral video« — misguided at best, misleading at worst — shouldn't be represented in the mod for the same reasons that Korean workers don't suddenly begin to dance the Gangnam Style when Fiber Optics is researched (the sunglasses, geddit).

20. AtlantaMarty

what's wrong with having korean workers dance gangnam style. gangnam style is cool and makes south korea look good. It's a source of national pride? what possibly could be wrong with including it?

And yes I agree the Kony viral video was misleading, but all the parodies and Kony jokes were pretty hilarious. Jason Russell's public breakdown made it all the funnier.

And what would be wrong with pushing each UHV back a year