2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you'll look back, I haven't actually make the explicit claim that Trump is no threat to the- well, you're now saying "the bureaucracy", but I believe the original phrase was "unelected creeps"- I asked you why we should accept your claim that he is. I asked you what Trump has done to threaten "the bureaucracy", and so far you haven't given a clear answer. Your position is not simply assumed to be true until somebody else proves the inverse; that's just not how discussion works.
Okay, I looked back.

I admit that I did not realize your initial question, "What has Trump actually done to threaten these entrenched interests, beyond general mis-management of the federal apparatus?" was a non-sequitur. I had constructed a picture of events where an outsider came into the town rattling his saber, and the "unelected creeps" fought back, leaning on the media to sell their accusation that he was a Russian agent and promote their investigation.

So you were asking me for evidence of what Trump has done that would cause these entrenched interests to view him as a threat, and you did it by ignoring the content of the post, which described how they leapt into action against him.

Okay, I looked back.

I admit that I did not realize your initial question, "What has Trump actually done to threaten these entrenched interests, beyond general mis-management of the federal apparatus?" was a non-sequitur. I had constructed a picture of events where an outsider came into the town rattling his saber, and the "unelected creeps" fought back, leaning on the media to sell their accusation that he was a Russian agent and promote their investigation.

So you were asking me for evidence of what Trump has done that would cause these entrenched interests to view him as a threat, and you did it by ignoring the content of the post, which described how they leapt into action against him.
You still haven't answered the question. What has Trump done to threaten entrenched interests in Washington? Do you have an answer?

I could answer it by doing you the same courtesy you did me, which is to ignore the content of your post. Would that suffice?

I could answer it by doing you the same courtesy you did me, which is to ignore the content of your post. Would that suffice?
You could answer the question. Again, do you have an answer? You surely can't think this ridiculous sparring is somehow establishing your prestige on this forum.

Well I was hoping for one citation if anything Berzerker or Tristan are claiming here. I mean an occasional FBI agent leaking to the press does not a deep state conspiracy make. Nor does a claim that industry is returning to America make it a reality.

I mean if I can just say whatever here and ignore the replies I guess that’s um something. I don’t even know a word for that, we need a better vocabulary for the post fact world these types have created.

I'll almost be relieved if Bernie doesn't end up running, don't tell anyone though.

If you feel compelled to mention it again, just attribute it to your friend Tim from CFC. I'm not the least bit shy about it.

Well I was hoping for one citation if anything Berzerker or Tristan are claiming here. I mean an occasional FBI agent leaking to the press does not a deep state conspiracy make. Nor does a claim that industry is returning to America make it a reality.

I mean if I can just say whatever here and ignore the replies I guess that’s um something. I don’t even know a word for that, we need a better vocabulary for the post fact world these types have created.
How about this?

How about this?

The problem is just by having the word truth in it it gives to much credit to these specious arguments. Since this tactic is very likely to dominate the 2020 election I think we need something harsher to address this problem. Maybe "empty lies" or something, It needs to be short and sweet.

The problem is just by having the word truth in it it gives to much credit to these specious arguments. Since this tactic is very likely to dominate the 2020 election I think we need something harsher to address this problem. Maybe "empty lies" or something, It needs to be short and sweet.

I'm pretty convinced that the days of "well, respect for the campaign process precludes use of 'liar' for describing your opponent" need to be left firmly behind.

HE'S LYING TO YOU!

(that needed to be said. Probably the Donald's made some more tweets or other statements today)

btw ‘truthiness’ just sounds like a Germanic calque of ‘verosimilitude’.

I'll almost be relieved if Bernie doesn't end up running, don't tell anyone though.
Of course it would be a terrible idea for him to run.

I refer you to my earlier comments about Senator Warren's age.

The climate for this election is being shaped by several non-candidates, notably AOC.
J

Do you have any idea how laughable this talking point is, or did you just regurgitate it in turn when it came up on your list without even pausing to think?

As someone who lives very close to AOC's district, I find it hilarious how wrong right-wing commentary is about her policies, her constituents, her level of support, her experience - pretty much everything.

It would be easier to list the things they get right rather than correct everything they get wrong about her.

He would know better than most.

The climate for this election is being shaped by several non-candidates, notably AOC. Daily Beast thinks it's playing right into the Republican's hands. Personally, i think they are over-reacting to scare up support, but it's telling that this is not a rightwing source.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/alexa...r-democrats-hits-bullseye-for-mitch-mcconnell

J

So far AOC has been a pleasant surprise. She has already shifted the conversation back to making America work for its people instead of corporations and their stock owners. I think underestimating how much people are sick of the corportocracy is to miss the point of why Trump won. Liberals just need to point out the Trump is the epitome of the swamp not a cure to it.

As someone who lives very close to AOC's district, I find it hilarious how wrong right-wing commentary is about her policies, her constituents, her level of support, her experience - pretty much everything.

It would be easier to list the things they get right rather than correct everything they get wrong about her.

They even think a charming video of her dancing is a liability.

the Fox opinion-shapers are terrified of her. They wouldn't be hanging on her every action like they do if they didn't see her as a threat.

That said, she is still very new, and I fear she is being saddled with unrealistic expectations. I'm part of that - I want her to do really well. But she's a freshman congressperson. The learning curve is steep.

Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom