decamatus

Chieftain
V1.0.5 Wild Essos has been released!

Hello everyone!

After a much longer than desired hiatus due to life getting in the way, I bring you the Wild Essos update!

Check it out on the Steam Workshop now and if you like the mod and can afford to throw me a bone, check out my Patreon! Patrons get access to early versions of the mod when I have time to get them together!

Check out the trailer:

V1.0.5 Patch Notes:

New Features:

- Two new leaders representing two new civilizations;
- Mance Rayder representing the Wildlings
- Khal Drogo representing the Dothraki

- New City-States:
- The Free Cities of Essos including Braavos, Lorath, Lys, Myr, Norvos, Pentos, Qohor, Tyrosh, and Volantis along with the greatest city that ever was or will be, Qarth.

- New Map:
- Westeros Essos (Huge): This is a huge sized TSL map that contains everything from the Wall to Qarth!

- New Art:
- A few leaders have new artwork

Balance Changes:

- The maintence cost of dragons has been doubled.

Bug Fixes:

- Completely removed archaeologists. No matter what I tried the AI refused to keep a reasonable number of these on the map and it always caused issues.

@Tirrikface, this should now be a select-able option for both of the map rulesets.
@Tobywan82 and any other looking for a direct download, I'll make sure one gets added to this page before the next update as I've had quite a few people asking for this.

V1.0.4 Patch Notes:

New Features:

• Added a new unit; the Scorpion. A late game siege unit capable of dealing massive damage to dragons and other cavalry units.
  • Updated the Civics tree to include some additonal civics that were previously removed from the base game including the civics which unlock critical game mechanics like Corps and Armies, and Archeology.
Bug Fixes:
  • Resolved an issue the was preventing units from upgrading into their level II counterparts
  • Removed the obnoxious new "Fear of Losing" agenda from the summer update from all leaders

V1.0.3 Patch Notes:

Features:

New Rulesets:

• ACoIaF Ruleset
    • Restricted Tech/Civics trees
    • Restricted Civilizations/City-States
    • Restricted Religions (New Beliefs coming soon!)
    • New Techs (More New Techs and New Civics coming soon!)
    • Upgraded Medieval Units for late game military
    • Alchemist unit that can be used by all players allowing everyone to use Wildfire eventually
  • ACoIaF Westeros Ruleset (TSL Westeros scenario that allows you to pick leaders and play on Westeros with the ACoIaF Ruleset)
Bugfixes:

- Resolved an issue that prevented unit portraits from showing up correctly
V1.0.2 Patch Notes:

Features:

New Leaders:

Jon Snow representing House Stark
Trait: White Wolf
Unique Unit: Wildling
Agenda: Wildling Lover

Cersei Lannister representing House Lannister
Trait: Mad Queen
Unique Unit: Alchemist
Agenda: Burn Them All

Euron Greyjoy representing House Greyjoy
Trait: The Storm
Unique Unit: Iron Reaver
Agenda: Sea Reavers

New WMDs:

Wildfire - Small, low range nuke unlocked with apprenticeship, leaves fallout for 4 turns and costs 10 gold in maintenance

New Projects

Burn Them All! - Unlocks the Build Wildfire Project
Build Wildfre - Adds 1 Wildfire to the player inventory

Changes:

- Corrected some spelling errors that have been pointed out to me

Bugfixes:

- Resolved an issue that prevented Robert Baratheon from spawning in the correct location on the TSL Westeros map
- Resolved an issue that preventing some units from upgrading correctly
V1.0.1 Patch Notes:

Changes:

• Updated leaders portraits
  • Made Robert and Stannis one Civ with separate leaders, this will mean that in game they will share an icon for the time being.
  • Stannis decided to give his priests some red dye.
  • Combined the Maps mod into the main mod, retiring the Maps mod.
  • Removed dependency from all DLCs
  • Changes: House Arryn unique unit Knight of the Vale has been redesigned to be more effective in and take no movement penalty from hills, nothing else has been changed.
  • Pay no mind to the extra leaders or projects in the Civlopedia... ;)

Bugfixes:

• Resolved an issue that prevented some players from founding pantheons and religions in- the Westeros TSL map.
  • Resolved an issue that prevented users from using the new maps in multiplayer games.

What's Coming:

• I plan to have a scenario a month released and I'm aiming for July 30 as the release date for the War of the Five Kings scenario. I have a small leader pack coming for Sunday though and plan to release updates like that through the months inbetween scenarios.

What I'd like to see in the suggestions thread or down below:

• War of the Five Kings Random Events: I plan to make some random events akin to the Outback scenario where events from the series have a chance of occuring, what kings of things do you want to see as random events? Burning leeches and gaining faith as Stannis? Walking through fire and gaining military units as Dany?
  • My next scenario after War of the Five Kings is going to be The Conquest of Daenarys, I want to know from you guys what you want to see from the Dothraki and the city-states!
V1.0.0 Release Notes:

My new Civilization VI mod, A Civ of Ice and Fire is out now on the Steam Workshop, it is a Game of Thrones themed mod for Civilization VI and includes new leaders, new city-states, new religions, new continents, and new maps!

Eventually I plan to add more leaders and civs, more maps, as well as scenarios so that you can relive your favorite moments from the series!

Before anyone asks, the dragon is not actually a dragon, but it will be eventually!

Last edited:
Thanks! Competition is a good thing, especially if it leads to cooperation! Your Balon mod is awesome and was some strong encouragement to get my mod finished in time for the show to return

A war of the five kings scenario is my first big project and I'm also already working on getting Essos done and will be following that up with a Conquest of Dany scenario, but I plan to loop back around and create as many scenarios as I can eventually!

Thanks! Competition is a good thing, especially if it leads to cooperation! Your Balon mod is awesome and was some strong encouragement to get my mod finished in time for the show to return

A war of the five kings scenario is my first big project and I'm also already working on getting Essos done and will be following that up with a Conquest of Dany scenario, but I plan to loop back around and create as many scenarios as I can eventually!
Scenario sounds crazy! Can't wait to see it coming.
And wish GRRM live long and prosper (more importantly, get the last 2 books done!)

Hello everyone!

Thank you all for your support so far, V1.0.1 has been released!

It cleans some things up on the backend and sees the retirement of the Maps mod. Having two separate mods for the "main mod" was confusing and I'm happy to see things consolidated. Please unsubscribe from the Maps mod and make sure that you ensure it was removed from your Workshop folder if you run into issues after your main mod updates. The Westeros - Scenario map has also been removed, however great progress has been made on the War of the Five Kings Scenario. If you're interested in playing it early check out my Patreon, a donation of just $1 a month gives you instant access to the beta version of the scenario, which is at the point where it is playable (but not balanced) and has a lot of the changes you've all been requesting, including a limited tech and civics tree, prestablished religions, no settlers, and many other changes. It is not polished or working perfectly, but I know many of you are clamoring to get your hands on a real GoT "scenario" instead of just new civs in the civ 6 world so I wanted to give anyone who wants to support the mod the chance to try it out now!

Check it out on the Steam Workshop now and if you like the mod and can afford to throw me a bone, check out my Patreon!

V1.0.1 Patch Notes:

Changes:

• Updated leaders portraits
  • Made Robert and Stannis one Civ with separate leaders, this will mean that in game they will share an icon for the time being.
  • Stannis decided to give his priests some red dye.
  • Combined the Maps mod into the main mod, retiring the Maps mod.
  • Removed dependency from all DLCs
  • Changes: House Arryn unique unit Knight of the Vale has been redesigned to be more effective in and take no movement penalty from hills, nothing else has been changed.
  • Pay no mind to the extra leaders or projects in the Civlopedia... ;)

Bugfixes:

• Resolved an issue that prevented some players from founding pantheons and religions in- the Westeros TSL map.
  • Resolved an issue that prevented users from using the new maps in multiplayer games.

What's Coming:

• I plan to have a scenario a month released and I'm aiming for July 30 as the release date for the War of the Five Kings scenario. I have a small leader pack coming for Sunday though and plan to release updates like that through the months inbetween scenarios.

What I'd like to see in the suggestions thread or down below:

• War of the Five Kings Random Events: I plan to make some random events akin to the Outback scenario where events from the series have a chance of occuring, what kings of things do you want to see as random events? Burning leeches and gaining faith as Stannis? Walking through fire and gaining military units as Dany?
  • My next scenario after War of the Five Kings is going to be The Conquest of Daenarys, I want to know from you guys what you want to see from the Dothraki and the city-states!

Last edited:
Thanks!

I don't forsee there being many issues with the dependency. I knew exactly what I used from the DLC (modifiers and what not) because I only added them as dependencies after my mod broke while I was building it. I have had a ton of people asking for a DLC free version of the mod and, frankly, I think it's a little silly to require someone to spend $5 on a DLC they don't want just so I don't have to write 5 lines of code to recreate a modifier so I decided to stop being lazy and actually fix those problems instead of just relying on the DLC and preventing some players from being able to use the mod for a really bad reason.

My biggest concern was Gold from the Austrailia DLC, but apparently the only part of the resource that's actually in the Australia DLC files is damn icon, so recreating it allowed me to go Australia DLC free, my mod even takes over the icon for Australia gold when both are active so as far as I can tell there's no conflict there. I hate it when companies hard code things like the effects that control certain modifiers in Civ inside of DLCs, makes it really obnoxious for modders, but hey, if they didn't we could pretty easily recreate a DLC free version of the DLC and I suppose they wouldn't want that. That's why I had to change the UU for House Arryn, because the knockback effect is hard coded into the Poland DLC :/

It was actually pretty easy to do and hopefully it will be less restrictive to players who don't want to buy the DLC to play the mod.

Thanks!

I don't forsee there being many issues with the dependency. I knew exactly what I used from the DLC (modifiers and what not) because I only added them as dependencies after my mod broke while I was building it. I have had a ton of people asking for a DLC free version of the mod and, frankly, I think it's a little silly to require someone to spend $5 on a DLC they don't want just so I don't have to write 5 lines of code to recreate a modifier so I decided to stop being lazy and actually fix those problems instead of just relying on the DLC and preventing some players from being able to use the mod for a really bad reason.

My biggest concern was Gold from the Austrailia DLC, but apparently the only part of the resource that's actually in the Australia DLC files is damn icon, so recreating it allowed me to go Australia DLC free, my mod even takes over the icon for Australia gold when both are active so as far as I can tell there's no conflict there. I hate it when companies hard code things like the effects that control certain modifiers in Civ inside of DLCs, makes it really obnoxious for modders, but hey, if they didn't we could pretty easily recreate a DLC free version of the DLC and I suppose they wouldn't want that. That's why I had to change the UU for House Arryn, because the knockback effect is hard coded into the Poland DLC :/

It was actually pretty easy to do and hopefully it will be less restrictive to players who don't want to buy the DLC to play the mod.
Yep I got the same request. But my concern is actually art stuff. As you said for modifiers you can write your own (But game effects you can't. Things like culture bombing you either use Poland DLC at least or you write you own LUA script). I have friends experiencing Teddy shows in loading and Cleo shows as fallback with Persia DLC loaded. My theory was the game loading your MOD first then DLC (I guess because DLCs are also MODs) if you don't log the DLCs as dependencies. And in that order some stuff you defined got overwritten. It shouldn't if you create your artdefs and xlps right, but for safety I'd rather add dependency. I hate buggy MOD out of my hands.
I've also included Persia MOD new Wonders as AI favored Wonders. They are pretty important to me. Balon not trying to compete Halicarnassus Mausoleum? No way... Anyway, with upcoming new DLC, I don't know if it's awesome enough for us the adopt new game effects, new... Who knows.

Haha, I'm not sure if there were others or not, but I remember you replying to the thread where I was having issues with the Persia DLC and Teddy showing up on the leader screen, but by the time you responded I had already figured out what it was.

It actually ended up being a requirement set and modifier that is used by Alexander. I recreated the requirement set and modifier and now I can disable Persia and *poof* no more Teddy loading screen problem. In my experience most compatibility problems that involve overwriting occur when specific files that can only exist once are overwritten such as UI elements (my adjustment to the top panel that allows Wildfire to be listed next to other WMDs will not work with other mods that adjust the top panel for instance), but good mods should have their own criteria sets which are designed to eliminate the possibility of letting something like two mods each using files named Units.xml from overwriting each other. This is how you can have multiple mods that add civs, leaders, units, etc, without overwriting each other (as long as you don't use the same name for the leaders and all that, two mods that add a leader with the ID of LEADER_BALON are not going to work with each other for instance), but there is only one top panel and it can only be overwritten and not added to.

My guess is that the error occurs when building the game files when the map is loaded and when it encounters one of those issues during the pre-check, it will stop trying to load the files that are causing issues where those issues occurred and proceed to the next file if it can allowing only the code in that file that came before the issue to be loaded into the game. Depending on how the mods are built this could cause all kinds of chaos, including not actually loading in the fallback information in the case of Alexander/Persia, causing ALL leaderfallbacks to break when it tries to build them and can't because Alexander's is missing. This might actually be why Firaxis likes to have separate files for EVERYTHING, so that if something is screwed up the rest of the code for the leader doesn't fail to load.

9 out of 10 Issues I've had have been when I've tried creating new modifiers that I didn't realize already exist in the game (like when I tried recreating the adjacent to rivers modifier only to find out it already existed and caused the game to crash because I gave it the same name that firaxis did), or when I try using ones that do not exist in the game (in the case of using one that's in a DLC that isn't active).

I haven't looked into too deeply into culture bombing yet, but a surface glance tells me it probably isn't tied into any of the DLCs. There's a culture bomb modifier type and as long as you know how to recreate it you should be able to set up a culture bomb with any trigger. After all, they already use it twice with Australia and Poland and they do not require eachother so it can't be tied to either of them.

Last edited:
Haha, I'm not sure if there were others or not, but I remember you replying to the thread where I was having issues with the Persia DLC and Teddy showing up on the leader screen, but by the time you responded I had already figured out what it was.

It actually ended up being a requirement set and modifier that is used by Alexander. I recreated the requirement set and modifier and now I can disable Persia and *poof* no more Teddy loading screen problem. In my experience most compatibility problems that involve overwriting occur when specific files that can only exist once are overwritten such as UI elements (my adjustment to the top panel that allows Wildfire to be listed next to other WMDs will not work with other mods that adjust the top panel for instance), but good mods should have their own criteria sets which are designed to eliminate the possibility of letting something like two mods each using files named Units.xml from overwriting each other. This is how you can have multiple mods that add civs, leaders, units, etc, without overwriting each other (as long as you don't use the same name for the leaders and all that, two mods that add a leader with the ID of LEADER_BALON are not going to work with each other for instance), but there is only one top panel and it can only be overwritten and not added to.

My guess is that the error occurs when building the game files when the map is loaded and when it encounters one of those issues during the pre-check, it will stop trying to load the files that are causing issues where those issues occurred and proceed to the next file if it can allowing only the code in that file that came before the issue to be loaded into the game. Depending on how the mods are built this could cause all kinds of chaos, including not actually loading in the fallback information in the case of Alexander/Persia, causing ALL leaderfallbacks to break when it tries to build them and can't because Alexander's is missing. This might actually be why Firaxis likes to have separate files for EVERYTHING, so that if something is screwed up the rest of the code for the leader doesn't fail to load.

9 out of 10 Issues I've had have been when I've tried creating new modifiers that I didn't realize already exist in the game (like when I tried recreating the adjacent to rivers modifier only to find out it already existed and caused the game to crash because I gave it the same name that firaxis did), or when I try using ones that do not exist in the game (in the case of using one that's in a DLC that isn't active).

I haven't looked into too deeply into culture bombing yet, but a surface glance tells me it probably isn't tied into any of the DLCs. There's a culture bomb modifier type and as long as you know how to recreate it you should be able to set up a culture bomb with any trigger. After all, they already use it twice with Australia and Poland and they do not require eachother so it can't be tied to either of them.
Hmmm, good observation of Poland and Australia. You might be right it's just as Aztecs a modinfo but everything else is in game core already. I'm not sure then about the AI favored items (and AI agenda like crazy Persian back-stab *****) anyway to go around it. I mean agenda is like modifiers I can create my own but DLC wonders are... if they don't exist, they don't.
And the Teddy thing wasn't only you. But might be the same reason.

Hello everyone!

V1.0.2: Burn Them All has been released!

I'm back with another update to the A Civ of Ice and Fire mod! Just in time for the premier tonight you can now play as Jon Snow with his Wildlings and Heathen Conversion, Cersei Lannister with her Wildfire, and Euron Greyjoy with his thousand ships!

V1.0.2 Patch Notes:

Features:

New Leaders:

New WMDs:

Wildfire - Small, low range nuke unlocked with apprenticeship, leaves fallout for 4 turns and costs 10 gold in maintenance

New Projects

Changes:

Bugfixes:

- Resolved an issue that prevented Robert Baratheon from spawning in the correct location on the TSL Westeros map

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

V1.0.2: Burn Them All has been released!

I'm back with another update to the A Civ of Ice and Fire mod! Just in time for the premier tonight you can now play as Jon Snow with his Wildlings and Heathen Conversion, Cersei Lannister with her Wildfire, and Euron Greyjoy with his thousand ships!

V1.0.2 Patch Notes:

Features:

New Leaders:

New WMDs:

New Projects

Changes:

Bugfixes:

Mad Queen hhhhhhh that's nice. That's exactly what I imagine traits for mad king... Well what should I do now...

Yet I don't like Jon being leader of house Stark. Lord Commander of Night's Watch will be nice, and don't forget there's 90% chance he's a direwolf/dragon. Wolf blood is from Lyanna Stark!
You should also still remember Jon refused Stannis's proposal for making him Stark and lord of Winterfell. He wanted to storm Bolton-occupied Winterfell because he thought his little sister Arya Stark was there held captive, not to claim his heir right. And wildling lover is not fair, you know what he saw at Fist of First Man. That's not loving free folks or not, that's saving them so that fewer wights will be resurrected. Meanwhile more man power can garrison the castles along the Wall for defense. Well he slept with Ygritte sure, he might only loved that one, or maybe plus Tormund...

It's not Jon Stark though, it's just Jon Snow representing House Stark! After all, Petyr isn't an Arryn, but he is representing House Arryn. Eventually my plan is to fold some of the city-states into full fledged civs, but just for the scenarios where that person was active. I think most of the smaller houses are so derivative of the major house next to them that I don't think they warrant a full fledged civ in the standard ruleset. Renly and Joffery fit into this mold for me, where Renly is a blend between Stannis and Robert, and Joff is just an amped up version of Robert for the War of the Five Kings scenario. Other leaders that I plan to use this way include anyone who would be a big part of a scenario, but potentially wouldn't be different enough from existing leaders, I'm talking people like Aegon Targaryen, Aerys Targaryen, Ellaria Sand, Mance Rayder, Lyanna Mormont, Ramsay/Roose Bolton, or Walder Frey. A full standard ruleset slot for EVERYONE would just bloat the leader count too much!

That being said, I do plan to have a ACoIaF Ruleset you can select that will include only the ACoIaF content and applies some of the changes in the scenarios, like the tech/civics tree restrictions. That way anyone who wants to play a battle of the Baratheons can do so, but the standard leader list doesn't have to be three times longer than it needs to be :p

Haha, "Wildling Lover" is just the name of the agenda, it's not a critical examination of his character or anything. Do you think Catherine would appreciate being called the Black Queen? Or that Cyrus would appreciate being labeled an Opportunist? Or that Alexander would like to have been told he'd have a Short Life of Glory? Or how about asking Teddy about his Big Stick Policy? The non-historical agendas are even worse, how would you like to be labeled a Money Grubber? Not all of the names of the agendas are flattering, and I don't think Jon would appreciate being called "Wildling Lover" either, but the people around him and historically would see Jon as the first northern leader to not only let wildlings inside of the wall, but to incorporate them into his ranks en mass after violating an oath to lose his virginity to one, so Wildling Lover feels pretty appropriate to me, even if the name that was selected for it is only intended to be a little jab at the character that a historian might make hundreds of years later like many of the other Agendas.

It's not Jon Stark though, it's just Jon Snow representing House Stark! After all, Petyr isn't an Arryn, but he is representing House Arryn. Eventually my plan is to fold some of the city-states into full fledged civs, but just for the scenarios where that person was active. I think most of the smaller houses are so derivative of the major house next to them that I don't think they warrant a full fledged civ in the standard ruleset. Renly and Joffery fit into this mold for me, where Renly is a blend between Stannis and Robert, and Joff is just an amped up version of Robert for the War of the Five Kings scenario. Other leaders that I plan to use this way include anyone who would be a big part of a scenario, but potentially wouldn't be different enough from existing leaders, I'm talking people like Aegon Targaryen, Aerys Targaryen, Ellaria Sand, Mance Rayder, Lyanna Mormont, Ramsay/Roose Bolton, or Walder Frey. A full standard ruleset slot for EVERYONE would just bloat the leader count too much!

That being said, I do plan to have a ACoIaF Ruleset you can select that will include only the ACoIaF content and applies some of the changes in the scenarios, like the tech/civics tree restrictions. That way anyone who wants to play a battle of the Baratheons can do so, but the standard leader list doesn't have to be three times longer than it needs to be :p

Haha, "Wildling Lover" is just the name of the agenda, it's not a critical examination of his character or anything. Do you think Catherine would appreciate being called the Black Queen? Or that Cyrus would appreciate being labeled an Opportunist? Or that Alexander would like to have been told he'd have a Short Life of Glory? Or how about asking Teddy about his Big Stick Policy? The non-historical agendas are even worse, how would you like to be labeled a Money Grubber? Not all of the names of the agendas are flattering, and I don't think Jon would appreciate being called "Wildling Lover" either, but the people around him and historically would see Jon as the first northern leader to not only let wildlings inside of the wall, but to incorporate them into his ranks en mass after violating an oath to lose his virginity to one, so Wildling Lover feels pretty appropriate to me, even if the name that was selected for it is only intended to be a little jab at the character that a historian might make hundreds of years later like many of the other Agendas.
That you are right, Alexander definitely doesn't like the sound of "Short Life" no matter it's glory or what else. So yeah, the other crows did call Jon wildling lover. I was just saying because we know what's going on in the story line, (and of course we like Jon) there could be a better name for it. Just saying.

Hello everyone!

V1.0.3: The Ruleset Update has been released!

Since I first released the mod, the one thing I've heard more than anything anything is the overwhelming requests for an updated tech and civics tree, for there to be more specific changes that make things that actually help make it feel like a strategy game set in the Song of Ice and Fire universe.

This is the first step in that direction!

Trust me, I've wanted this as much as you all have and I'm very happy to be able to share it with you all finally! There will be more changes to come and additional techs and civics and changes to the eras as things move forward.

V1.0.3 Patch Notes:

Features:

New Rulesets:

• ACoIaF Ruleset
    • Restricted Tech/Civics trees
    • Restricted Civilizations/City-States
    • Restricted Religions (New Beliefs coming soon!)
    • New Techs (More New Techs and New Civics coming soon!)
    • Upgraded Medieval Units for late game military
    • Alchemist unit that can be used by all players allowing everyone to use Wildfire eventually
  • ACoIaF Westeros Ruleset (TSL Westeros scenario that allows you to pick leaders and play on Westeros with the ACoIaF Ruleset)
Bugfixes:

- Resolved an issue that prevented unit portraits from showing up correctly

Played great game..kind of bogged down so tried to start a new game..no mods except this mod, tech and era limit..game says please wait at start then..black screen and start game..throws me back to menu..over and over again,please fix

Got game to start by removing era and tech limit mods,must have been a 1.03 update change..I had enabled them on first game,however T. Lannister isn't receiving the added red cloak when he trains one.

Top Bottom