A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't official languages simply be like another type of religion?

Diplo aspect of civ is weird already so no need to complicate things further :).

If flexible difficulty shows up in custom game options, you're using an old version and buggy beta. Update to the newest from the main download page and install patch C.

As for increased difficulty -- that's another option which will increase the difficulty even if you're doing badly.

OK, I got the newest version. There is an increased difficulty option, but I don't use it. However, it seems that flexible difficulty is a game feature now. Is it possible to turn it off?

Probably wrong thread, though :)

Think it's Ctrl+Shift+O to bring up the BUG(?) options menu, click on the ROM tab and the options to turn flexable difficulty off/on is there.

Think it's Ctrl+Shift+O to bring up the BUG(?) options menu, click on the ROM tab and the options to turn flexable difficulty off/on is there.

Thank you very much

Newly found bug/exploit:

The claim territory command in fixed borders doesn't check if the land has become occupied by a city. So when I claimed a stone tile on the turn right before Gandhi tried to settle his pioneer there, guess who got the city - right after being evicted from the territory.

No buildings, though. That was a disappointment. Then again, I did get a free cavalry.

After thinking about it, I rather exploits like this stay in, just that the player will see appropriately negative consequences for their actions, making the exploit a choice with pros and cons.

So an alternative to simply getting rid of this might be to allow the changeover to happen, then hit relations with that AI with a -2 modifier (-1 to all that AI's allies), or with a very long memory. Perhaps it could be treated similar to capturing an AI city.

I've noticed that Personalised maps does not show the event signs (but does give bonuses) on the larger maps. Tried it on Giant and had this result. But on standard I can see the event signs perfectly.
I'll try out all the sizes and see what happens.

Afforess is there a way to reduce how many landmarks are generated? I would like to see around 10% of what is currently appearing on my maps.

Scribler & Retrospect, both bugs are confirmed. I'll fix them in Patch D.

Afforess is there a way to reduce how many landmarks are generated? I would like to see around 10% of what is currently appearing on my maps.

I would agree with that. Theres often cities that have the same name since theres a landmark every 5-10 spaces

I don't know if you've already caught this for a future patch or release, but a lot of buildings to build tell me that it gives NEGATIVE stuff...

Example, a Tailor's Shop says it will give -4 coin if I build it. A Madrassa says it will give me -8 research and +3 culture. Even Markets are advertising negative gold with positive happiness

I don't know if you've already caught this for a future patch or release, but a lot of buildings to build tell me that it gives NEGATIVE stuff...

Example, a Tailor's Shop says it will give -4 coin if I build it. A Madrassa says it will give me -8 research and +3 culture. Even Markets are advertising negative gold with positive happiness

Make sure you're running 1.73 updated to Patch C (or wait until Patch D comes out). What you're describing is a known issue that should have been fixed (possibly with patch B). It's only an issue if you're having these problems with patch C.

Taking this out of the main download thread cause it would be off topic there.

It's been a rather quiet few days. Anyway, I'm done with Exams, and have more free time (but a slower internet connection; only 2MP/s)

You hitting the sauce early there, old soldier? :lol: Sorry, but that's pretty much the first thing that I thought of reading that.

Patch D's bug fixes are primarily done. I need to look at Fixed Borders, and the bug Scribbler reported; but other than that, I've fixed everything.

Awesome, I did something useful! Hmm, fifth, no, fourth time in my life :crazyeye: No chance you'd let us keep it but with a popup that allows you to declare war over it? Suppose that would be too complicated.

Patch D will also include a little bit of new content. A welcome surprise, yes?

Anyway, with Fixed Borders, forts will exert a 1 tile Zone of Control, but only if there is a unit in it, defending. If there is enemy units will be allowed to approach, but not go past or around forts, so players could use forts to build a strong border.

Well, not at all surprised about you adding new features (you probably think I like writing in bugs...and you would be right :mischief:), and I have to admit that it sounds good.

I am worried that we'll end up not being able to move up to the forts in certain circumstances, though. Or that because we're on a square grid, we'll end up with too many holes. Plus, does the AI know how to do this stuff? Lots of stuff for us to test here.

So how are you doing it? Checking to see if a unit that is on a tile beside an enemy occupied fort tries to pass onto another tile beside an enemy occupied fort? Does land ownership matter? Or the strength of the most powerful occupying unit?

My take is that the following rules should be used, or the ZoC is gonna be too powerful for the human player (although just about everything about this feature seems like a knuckle-punch to the AI ):
  • Fort occupant must be capable of attacking for ZoC to be active, so sticking a Machine Gun or Recon unit in a fort would not activate ZoC (but would give the Cavalry that is running the ZoC lots of defense).
  • If the ZoC unit has >60% chance to win (without withdraw) in attacking the incoming unit, ZoC is fully enforced: trespassing fails.
  • If the ZoC unit has <40% chance to win+withdraw, ZoC is not enforced: trespassing succeeds.
  • However, if ZoC unit has >40% chance to win+withdraw but <60% chance to win (only), ZoC is disputed: trespassing unit is attacked by ZoC unit. This way it should be possible to whittle down the the defenders without investing the fort itself, a tactic which has many historical parallels.
  • The trespassing unit's withdraw is factored and allows it to retreat.
  • If possible, the AI should be aware of these possibilities.

Of course I don't insist or anything, and realize that this might not be technically possible. But what worries me is that anything like ZoC will create a far too powerful tool for the human player versus the AI.

I've also re-written Defender Withdraw, so that it actually works. KillMePlease's version had bugs in it, so that the defender would never actually withdraw, and units would continue fighting.

Defenders will be able to withdraw, if they have a high enough withdraw chance, and will lose the battle. They will only withdraw if there is a "safe" plot to withdraw to. A player can stop defenders from withdrawing by simply ensuring that there are no "safe" plots to go to.

I defined a "safe" plot as one the unit can move into, and has NO enemy units within 1 radius of it.

Patch D will might be out late tonight, but more likely tomorrow evening.

Sounds interesting. Only problem I have with this is what I mentioned just before -- the AI doesn't know how to use this stuff. Well, not unless it has tons of units (like the Portuguese did in my most recent game -- but only because I used them to train up some units with 100% withdraw. And when I say some, I mean 20, and when I say train up, I mean 2000xp. And yeah, that's probably an exploit, but it's cut back rather strongly, if not elegantly, by the upgrade XP limit.)

Damn. Which version of AND were you playing before? It wasn't one of the 1.73 betas? None of the 1.73 betas are compatible with the final version. Then again, all of the betas had far too many show-stopping problems :(

I hate losing a fun game myself, restarting from scratch, but that's the nature of playing with betas.

... oy..

it was 1.73beta3.

Does that mean 1.73 has been fully released?

Uh, yes. Patch C is already out.

Lettered patches are only for full versions - beta patches only increase in number. 1.73C is already out.

Scribbler, I don't think I can make zone of control optional; either it is enforced, or not, nothing in between.

The way it works is that you can move anywhere you want, until you enter the 1 tile radius of an occupied fort. Once inside the Fort's ZoC, you can only move OUT or Attack the fort. I did testing beforehand, I'm just deathly afraid I've added new bugs.

The other big vector for new bugs is that I modularized BattleField Promotions & Dynamic XP, so I could get Defender Withdraw to work. My tests seem fine.. but who knows. Most players won't notice a huge change with patch D, but there has been a lot of changes behind the scenes.

Scribbler, I don't think I can make zone of control optional; either it is enforced, or not, nothing in between.

The way it works is that you can move anywhere you want, until you enter the 1 tile radius of an occupied fort. Once inside the Fort's ZoC, you can only move OUT or Attack the fort. I did testing beforehand, I'm just deathly afraid I've added new bugs.

The other big vector for new bugs is that I modularized BattleField Promotions & Dynamic XP, so I could get Defender Withdraw to work. My tests seem fine.. but who knows. Most players won't notice a huge change with patch D, but there has been a lot of changes behind the scenes.

I figured it might be something like that. Glad you're giving it a go with what you're doing already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom