A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of error? Do you have enough free space in Drive C to extract all files??

Edit: Anyone knows a fix to the missing texts in Civilopedia I'm having?
Thread

:confused: Waaaaay more than enough space. Its a Terabyte, only about 1/4 full. It's an error message that just pops up during file extraction, saying it has failed to extract the files.

In that case I'd assume either a corrupt download (and then use the "test archive" function of 7zip to check that) - or, if extraction doesn't even start, a problem with writing permissions at the destination folder.

I downloaded the installer twice, but if it's the only thing that could be wrong, I'll try it again.
Should I make sure to delete anything before I start? Should I restart my computer, or does it not matter?

And yes it starts. It gets to about 2/3rds of the way through, but both times the extraction process failed.

I downloaded the installer twice, but if it's the only thing that could be wrong, I'll try it again.
Should I make sure to delete anything before I start? Should I restart my computer, or does it not matter?

And yes it starts. It gets to about 2/3rds of the way through, but both times the extraction process failed.

If you have 7zip installed, you can open the archive with 7zip and then choose "test archive". This will simulate an extraction without actually trying to write the files anywhere, so it's a good method to test whether the archive is corrupt or whether something else is amiss. Other archiving programs probably have a similar feature.

Apart from a corrupted download, the only other thing I can think of is that you relocated your TEMP folder to another drive with less space, and the archiver tries to extract all the data to this folder before it starts moving them to their final destination. But since you already said that your C drive has lots of space, this is very unlikely, so my money is on a corrupt download.

I wouldn't expect a computer restart to matter but you never know. Deleting or at least renaming the previous download might be a good idea. If you're continuously getting corrupt downloads from the same source that others can use without problems, then you could also try to clear the browser cache, on the off chance that your machine actually just copies the already corrupted archive from its cache instead of actually downloading the file again.

Ok, here's what I got:

I remembered what happened the first time, because I downloaded the installer 4 more times and got the same result: The installer works fine, but once the installer finished, a error message pops up, saying "an error occurred with the installation." I click "Ok," the installer says It has successfully installed RoM: AND , I press Finish, and the installer stops responding. This happened the first time, not the second time, and the subsequent 3 times I downloaded the installer. I eventually stopped the unresponsive installer, but never got RoM: AND to show up in the list of Mods.

The second time when it got to 2/3rds of the way may have been a corrupt download, but there has to be more to it. I think I'm gonna try Deleting Civ entirely and re-downloading it again, since I have a lot of mods I'd like to get rid of anyway. I don't think my 1st and 3rd-5th copies of the installer are corrupted, so I'll run the 7zip program as well and see what I get.

EDIT:
Psyringe said:
If you have 7zip installed, you can open the archive with 7zip and then choose "test archive". This will simulate an extraction without actually trying to write the files anywhere, so it's a good method to test whether the archive is corrupt or whether something else is amiss.
I downloaded 7zip, and the program cant interact with the archive at all. I copied it to my desktop, attempted to "test archive" and a report box pops up saying 7zip cannot test the archive, with a similar result for the "open archive" and extract archive" commands. This would indicate that the archive is corrupt, but I downloaded the file 5 times! and I know I didn't just copy the file, I'm running Google Chrome, and it took a substantial amount of time to download each one.

After it nearly finished installing, have you tried just running the mod? It likely failed to write the installation log, because of windows permission issues, but should have successfully finished the install.

Yes. Flood Plains give +2 food, -1 health (for a net total of 1 food, unless you have a super healthy city, in which case, 2 food). You should still be able to grow very quickly on flood plains.

The problem is that you get -1 health for every flood plain within the city's radius, but +2 food only on worked tiles. Cities built after some infrastructure and civics are in place to help out do quite well on FP, but a city that starts there is pretty much doomed.

I'm 250ish turns into a Marathon speed game, and my nearest neighbor is Athens, founded on flood plains. They're still 1 pop with no food in reserve.

After it nearly finished installing, have you tried just running the mod? It likely failed to write the installation log, because of windows permission issues, but should have successfully finished the install.

3 times out of four nothing showed up in my /Mods folder, and 2 of those times I checked by running the game and Rise of Mankind was not in the list of mods to load. It (RAND Content) did appear in my mods folder once (after installation, with the same error message I think), so I ran BTS and loaded it, but once I did, I got the standard unmodified BTS Screen, so I deleted the RoM:AND material from the Mods folder and downloaded another installer.

They would have to have at least 7 flood plains around the city to cause stagnation in the early game. Maybe more, depending on civic combo's. Considering that once you get a bit of health, the city will be a super power, I don't see how it's unbalanced. Difficult at first, sure, but not an impossible situation.

3 times out of four nothing showed up in my /Mods folder, and 2 of those times I checked by running the game and Rise of Mankind was not in the list of mods to load. It did appear in my mods folder once, so I ran BTS and loaded it, but once I did, I got the standard unmodified BTS Screen, so I deleted the RoM:AND material from the Mods folder and downloaded another installer.

You're 100% sure you are installing it the right folder?

You're 100% sure you are installing it the right folder?

No, thats another thing. The installer chooses the folder for you, and it isn't entirely clear where the content is being loaded to. And it doesn't let you chose which folder to download to, either, so I suppose all the content might be in some other group of folders.

However, I am running the game on Steam, and there is no Firaxis Folder, and my windows Games folder has no BTS or Mod content. If it's anywhere else, where do you think it might be?

No, thats another thing. The installer chooses the folder for you, and it isn't entirely clear where the content is being loaded to. And it doesn't let you chose which folder to download to, either, so I suppose all the content might be in some other group of folders.

The installer should let you redirect the installation directory, and should list where the steam mods folder is. Make sure you redirect it, since the automatic directory detection does not always work.

The installer should let you redirect the installation directory, and should list where the steam mods folder is. Make sure you redirect it, since the automatic directory detection does not always work.
That's strange, because for me the Installer automatically selected the folder, and there was no field to select the folder for the content to install to. This was on ALL of my downloaded copies for the installer, as well.
The AND 1.73 & 1.74 installers has a working field for the file destination, but the installer for 1.75 does not, that's what I'm saying.

That's strange, because for me the Installer automatically selected the folder, and there was no field to select the folder for the content to install to. This was on ALL of my downloaded copies for the installer, as well.
The AND 1.73 & 1.74 installers has a working field for the file destination, but the installer for 1.75 does not, that's what I'm saying.

So you don't see this screen?
Spoiler :

Honestly, I don't know how to make it any clearer.

No, the installer has no field for selecting the destination folder. That screen has no browse button. The file path is not on my installer, and the grey box around the file path is all I get.

The file path and browse button are there on my old 1.73 and 1.74 installers, but the 1.75 installers all just have a grey box and no filepath or browse button. The text above is the same as your screenshot, though.

For comparison's sake, I'm downloading the SF copy of my installer, to see if it has the problem you describe. I doubt it, seeing how it as 2k downloads and this is the first complaint, but we shall see...

Skyler: Argh, I assumed that the archive format would be readable for 7zip, but apparently it isn't. Sorry for sending you on the wrong track. :(

Afforess: Could the problem be aggressive firewall / system protection settings? As in, the installer trying to read the directory structure, and not getting permission?

Alternatively, could it be a corrupted registry, or the installer trying to search the registry for the Civ4 filepaths, but crashing due to coming across something unexpected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom