A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry about not being on topic, but I need help and i couldn't anywhere else in the forums to ask. My friend got all of the Civ4 upgrades, but can only run Civilization 4 Colonization, because he cant download the others.:sad: Can you help me with this problem?:help: :thanx:[offtopic]

My friend got all of the Civ4 upgrades, but can only run Civilization 4 Colonization, because he cant download the others.:sad: Can you help me with this problem?
That question should probably ask at the support forum of the download service he bought the game from. If he can only download Colonization, then my guess is that he either only purchased Colonization (and not the others), or the download service borked his order up. In any case, this thread is indeed the wrong place to ask.

Yeah i have had three of these SO far it started in the Modern Era and now into the Transhuman one, there is a way to get around these if you wanted to know? PM me, i'd rather not let some know, otherwise they'd call it cheating.:p And i hate cheating. But at least you can continue on. I hope you have it to save every turn.

Its not the civ you speak of cause i dont have that civ in my game i am playing.

I've experienced the same problem that was referenced here (and have seen the solution as stated in post #505), however this did not seem to solve the problem. I'm running AND 1.74 and not using fixed borders (which I've seen a number of issues with glancing through these bug reports).

Anyway, to reiterate, I have been getting 10-15s interturn calculation, however after turn 310 (950 AD), it gets stuck in "waiting for other civilizations". By this point, it has already updated my balance, scores, however not the date. Furthermore, pretty much everything is selectable (except that I cannot open cities directly (but I can via the city overview screen) and I cannot select units on the map).

I attempted strategyonly's fix of:
-enter WB
-make a save in WB
-go to main menu
-load the save that I had done while in WB
(it's possible that I misunderstood this process, so please let me know if that's the case)

I've attached my AND log and savegame

Log:
Spoiler :

Installed Components:
{Required Files} {Military Civics} Sports ANM {Better RoM} {Civic Diplomacy} {Building Upgrades}

Install Type:
Standard

Version:

Install Directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind

Windows Version:
Window

Thanks

<Update>
I saw a previous post that said a 1.74 patch B would fix the problem (not sure if I have that or vanilla 1.74). In any case, I tried to run 1.75, but i get "the version of this file is not compatible iwth the version of windows you are using...". UAC is not enabled on my x64 Win 7 OS. It looks like I can run 1.75patch A, but I would prefer to be able to continue this saved game if possible.

Attachments

• mclinkor AD-0950.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
I've experienced the same problem that was referenced here (and have seen the solution as stated in post #505), however this did not seem to solve the problem. I'm running AND 1.74 and not using fixed borders (which I've seen a number of issues with glancing through these bug reports).

Anyway, to reiterate, I have been getting 10-15s interturn calculation, however after turn 310 (950 AD), it gets stuck in "waiting for other civilizations". By this point, it has already updated my balance, scores, however not the date. Furthermore, pretty much everything is selectable (except that I cannot open cities directly (but I can via the city overview screen) and I cannot select units on the map).

I attempted strategyonly's fix of:
-enter WB
-make a save in WB
-go to main menu
-load the save that I had done while in WB
(it's possible that I misunderstood this process, so please let me know if that's the case)

I've attached my AND log and savegame

Log:
Spoiler :

Installed Components:
{Required Files} {Military Civics} Sports ANM {Better RoM} {Civic Diplomacy} {Building Upgrades}

Install Type:
Standard

Version:

Install Directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind

Windows Version:
Window

Thanks

Did you put the "save" in the PrivateMaps area first before trying to get back into it?

Did you put the "save" in the PrivateMaps area first before trying to get back into it?

I had saved it in the same "single" directory as the rest of the saves. I don't see a "privatemaps" dir (have attached a screenshot). what am I missing?

Attachments

• savegames.png
    savegames.png
    482.2 KB · Views: 73
I had saved it in the same "single" directory as the rest of the saves. I don't see a "privatemaps" dir (have attached a screenshot). what am I missing?

Wrong area, in the screenie go to World Builder, then take what you named the save and move it to the regular mod area, and next to the Assets is a folder called PrivateMaps, place it there, then see if it works, ok.:p

Wrong area, in the screenie go to World Builder, then take what you named the save and move it to the regular mod area, and next to the Assets is a folder called PrivateMaps, place it there, then see if it works, ok.:p

ok, that appears to have done the trick (I did the scenario reload and then advanced two turns without freeze); thanks for the additional guidance

a few notes though:
-in-between-turn time is notably longer (but still <1min, so acceptable, albeit annoying this early in the game)
-a number of things are different, though: scores are lower (although seem to be the same relative to each other); I seem to be making significantly more money (maybe it recalculated maitenance costs or something?); my GP birth was delayed 2 turns
-so...nothing significant (except the additional cash), but just strange: I'll have to compare the finance tab between the old save and new reload to see what's going on later

Here's the latest thing I've run into. I have the technology to build Fluyts, but they do not appear in my build list and my Galleys cannot upgrade to Fluyts either. I'm probably missing something, but I thought I'd list it here just in case. Does anyone know why I can't build Fluyts yet? I have discovered Astronomy and Gunpowder and can even build Bombards. (It's weird that I have been able to build Galleons for quite some time as well.)

Feedback on 175A;
Forge is now almost useless early game. The Unhealthy face outweighs the 1 hammer. It used to be that you would look forward and work towards getting forge for the production bonus. But it has been reduced too much imho to be of much use. So I put it off until I need it for a better production building/upgrade.

The Unhealthiness factors of the 1st 6000 years of BC time outweigh the Healthy options available. So you better get used to reduced production from all your cities due to having constant unhealthiness and Unhappiness.

I've tried multiple research paths and tech combos to try and overcome this but so far it has eluded me. So I am learning to have red and green faces over all my cities until later techs, wonder, and buildings begin to finally mitigate the runaway G/R faces of the early Eras.

Resources is another area of scarcity. Salt is almost nonexistent while stone is plentiful (as it should be). Iron and copper or lack of can seriously jeopardize you Empires chance of survival. While obsidian seems to be more plentiful than it needs to be. Apples and Lemons are restricted to narrow bands on the map and if your placement is elsewhere forget them. And Olives is even worse. I forgot the name of the modder who came up with the modmod that Aforress has now used for sometime to restrict resources but I sure wish he had never came around. :p

I Beg for an Option to have Normal(regular RoM) resources along with the 2 options now available when you set up your game/world map. And finally ocean resources, why are they mostly 2 and 3 tiles away from shore? I really dislike this, and it's been this way for a long time now.

Sorry if this is negative feedback but I feel that AND 175 went too far in restricting these areas of the game and the balance has swung to far to the left.

I Still prefer AND 175 over Vanilla BtS. I will continue to play AND 175A. BUt IMHO RoM 1.03, 2.0, 2.4, and 2.7 were More Fun. As were AND 1.4, 1.55 and 1.6 (even with their bugs).

JosEPh (old, tired, and grumpy RoM and AND fan)

Feedback on 175A;
Forge is now almost useless early game. The Unhealthy face outweighs the 1 hammer. It used to be that you would look forward and work towards getting forge for the production bonus. But it has been reduced too much imho to be of much use. So I put it off until I need it for a better production building/upgrade.

The Unhealthiness factors of the 1st 6000 years of BC time outweigh the Healthy options available. So you better get used to reduced production from all your cities due to having constant unhealthiness and Unhappiness.

I've tried multiple research paths and tech combos to try and overcome this but so far it has eluded me. So I am learning to have red and green faces over all my cities until later techs, wonder, and buildings begin to finally mitigate the runaway G/R faces of the early Eras.

Resources is another area of scarcity. Salt is almost nonexistent while stone is plentiful (as it should be). Iron and copper or lack of can seriously jeopardize you Empires chance of survival. While obsidian seems to be more plentiful than it needs to be. Apples and Lemons are restricted to narrow bands on the map and if your placement is elsewhere forget them. And Olives is even worse. I forgot the name of the modder who came up with the modmod that Aforress has now used for sometime to restrict resources but I sure wish he had never came around. :p

I Beg for an Option to have Normal(regular RoM) resources along with the 2 options now available when you set up your game/world map. And finally ocean resources, why are they mostly 2 and 3 tiles away from shore? I really dislike this, and it's been this way for a long time now.

Sorry if this is negative feedback but I feel that AND 175 went too far in restricting these areas of the game and the balance has swung to far to the left.

I Still prefer AND 175 over Vanilla BtS. I will continue to play AND 175A. BUt IMHO RoM 1.03, 2.0, 2.4, and 2.7 were More Fun. As were AND 1.4, 1.55 and 1.6 (even with their bugs).

JosEPh (old, tired, and grumpy RoM and AND fan)

Not sure what the point of your feedback is. The game is balanced, I like the balance, and development is over. Nothing will change. Future patches will only fix critical bugs. Feel free to make a modmod that corrects it and makes it work with your vision. If it helps, dig up the thread where I taught Hydro XML. ;)

Additional to the Forge, Cottage upgrades have been nerfed waaaay too much. I mean, they used to be the way to go in the older version of AND and they needed some attention to make other upgrades viable but now they are pretty much useless. This seems to be going from one extreme to the other. You now have to:
a) research tech if you even want to get those cottages upgraded
b) once they get upgraded you still don't get any visible benefits from upgrades - they apparently produce same amount of resources on first 2 levels. Later levels seem to add only 1 gold to the resources. This is just looking to civilopedia. As soon as I saw that hamlets don't give any more resources I replaced them with farms. And I'm not going back to them.
c) let's not forget that you need to WORK on that lame tile where cottage is for a good number of turns (quite long if you play on slow game speeds) to get them upgraded

I believe they need some attention again.

Also, in civics, way too many military civics give unhappy faces. I mean, civics seem to be way too happy to give you unhappy faces. Many of them either give you unhappy faces by default as soon as you chose them forcing you to stick with despotism as only means of keeping your cities from rebelling. There are some civics that give you unhappy faces from barracks and other military buildings while, catch this, there is a civic that actually gives you unhappy face for each military unit stationed in the city. So, I actually have to empty my cities and station units outside to have any army at all. Now, you may think that this could be a good civic to pick if you are playing peaceful nation and have no need for any significant standing army but the problem is that
a) everyone will look at you as a great target because you are weak,
b) there is little positive benefit from getting that civic at all (you get some reduced maintenance in cities and a +2 :) ) You also take a penalty to :hammers: by choosing that civic
c) it makes no sense for that specific civic. Why? It's democracy, that's why. If any nation that has adopted democracy in real life would react to any domestic military presence in such way almost no democratic countries would exist today. Starting with US who, as it happens, has largest and most advanced military in the world AND is largest producer and even exporter of military hardware in the world.
Seriously, this kind of penalty is fitting maybe for pacifism (provided you get sufficient bonuses in return from it) but it makes no sense in democracy. It also has waaaay too small benefits while you get draconic penalties in unhappines department.

Don't get me wrong, this is great mod and I can and do have a flourishing civilization but the means to get one are very very limited due to the fact that some buildings/upgrades and lots of civics have been made pretty much a bad choices that I would chose only if I intentionally want to cripple my nation. Civics in specifics seem to have gone from 'choose the best benefit for your nation' into 'chose the least penalty for your nation' as nearly all of them give small benefits while giving quite large and significant penalties.

Additional to the Forge, Cottage upgrades have been nerfed waaaay too much. I mean, they used to be the way to go in the older version of AND and they needed some attention to make other upgrades viable but now they are pretty much useless. This seems to be going from one extreme to the other. You now have to:
a) research tech if you even want to get those cottages upgraded
b) once they get upgraded you still don't get any visible benefits from upgrades - they apparently produce same amount of resources on first 2 levels. Later levels seem to add only 1 gold to the resources. This is just looking to civilopedia. As soon as I saw that hamlets don't give any more resources I replaced them with farms. And I'm not going back to them.
c) let's not forget that you need to WORK on that lame tile where cottage is for a good number of turns (quite long if you play on slow game speeds) to get them upgraded

Wrong. Hamlets, Villages, and Towns each provide more commerce than the previous improvement. I have no idea how you got this confused, just check the civilopedia for assurances. In fact, the yields are identical to RoM 2.92 yields.

Also, in civics, way too many military civics give unhappy faces. I mean, civics seem to be way too happy to give you unhappy faces. Many of them either give you unhappy faces by default as soon as you chose them forcing you to stick with despotism as only means of keeping your cities from rebelling. There are some civics that give you unhappy faces from barracks and other military buildings while, catch this, there is a civic that actually gives you unhappy face for each military unit stationed in the city. So, I actually have to empty my cities and station units outside to have any army at all. Now, you may think that this could be a good civic to pick if you are playing peaceful nation and have no need for any significant standing army but the problem is that
a) everyone will look at you as a great target because you are weak,
b) there is little positive benefit from getting that civic at all (you get some reduced maintenance in cities and a +2 :) ) You also take a penalty to :hammers: by choosing that civic
c) it makes no sense for that specific civic. Why? It's democracy, that's why. If any nation that has adopted democracy in real life would react to any domestic military presence in such way almost no democratic countries would exist today. Starting with US who, as it happens, has largest and most advanced military in the world AND is largest producer and even exporter of military hardware in the world.
Seriously, this kind of penalty is fitting maybe for pacifism (provided you get sufficient bonuses in return from it) but it makes no sense in democracy. It also has waaaay too small benefits while you get draconic penalties in unhappines department.

So, you see military troops regularly in your hometown? Really? Tanks driving by? Yeah, only in police states. Military troops are relegated to a few military bases in the country, but not large cities, the people wouldn't go for that. I think you are overreacting, and need to learn the strategy for the civics. It's actually pretty easy to control happiness. ;)

Feel free to disagree, but AND is not in development, and nothing will ever change. I simply don't mod Civ4 anymore.

Ok, this feedback isn't really to push you into changing or making a new version of the mod. I can do pretty much all the changes myself. Mostly it's to point out some of the faults as well.

For example the logic of democracy and stationing troops in city. Stationed troops in city are not same thing as police state. Heck, I live in a small city and it had 3 small bases located inside it and several others in the outskirts. And I almost never saw any soldiers or tanks from them for nearly 40 years now. Military has it's regulations and they don't interfere in civilian activities unless really necessary (and usually in their defense). You are confusing stationed troops with events when military goes out on the street in some dictatorship country. Garrisoned troops also don't have to be active personnel, they can be garaged vehicles/tanks/planes/whatever while most of the personnel being in reserves with some active staff to maintain a degree of alertness. Having a military base in city or very close to it really is a common thing and people are rarely even aware of their existence. Besides, seeing tanks on the streets would generate huge unhappines in ANY country democratic or not, it's an event (you don't keep them there for long, as it's too disruptive for city to function normally) not garrisoned troops ment to protect the city.

As far as the cottages go, I had them (gave 1 :food), they leveled up and they still only gave 1 :food. No commerce bonus from second level (and no, I don't have barter civic, I adopted slavery very early in game). Then I checked civilopedia. Both cottage and hamlet give same benefits. You only get bonus commerce with specific civics. That means first 2 levels of them you get +1 :food and that's it. Village gives +1 commerce while town gives +1 commerce and +1 :hammer. That is great improvement for something that you wait forever to happen and that ultimately is bested by pretty much any other improvement in game. The whole point is, that if you want to nerf or balance something out (and they really needed balancing in previous versions) you need to do it carefully, mildly, so you don't overdo it. ROM doesn't have other improvements and balance as AND so using their values may be part of the problem. Of course, I can change that for myself.

Btw, it's not the problem with not knowing what to do with civics, it's the fact that many are no-go like democracy example with draconian penalties and little benefits. There is no overrection here. I'm not mad or anything. I did mention that I HAVE flourishing nation. It's just that from so many options in this mod, it doesn't feel right that so many are actually bad options. Civics in specific should be the tool that makes player try different strategies in managing his nation. Like going for economy, or diplomacy, or military, or research. Many ways to go. With this setting most tactics orbit around unhappines management and unhappines management alone. So you either have to go 'police state' and keep large military to keep your people in check or go all peacefull with no military at all and at the mercy of other nations. They DO attack you when you have weak military, btw. Economy, research and diplomacy seems to be more tied to research now then to civics as civics simply don't provide as much boost to any to really matter. There are some (like slavery) that are good choices, but only few civics actually give you such benefits which brings us back to limited options issue. I'm not saying that you need to change it, just to think about it. After all, Civ 5 modding is just starting to bloom. ;)

Ok, this feedback isn't really to push you into changing or making a new version of the mod. I can do pretty much all the changes myself. Mostly it's to point out some of the faults as well.

For example the logic of democracy and stationing troops in city. Stationed troops in city are not same thing as police state. Heck, I live in a small city and it had 3 small bases located inside it and several others in the outskirts. And I almost never saw any soldiers or tanks from them for nearly 40 years now. Military has it's regulations and they don't interfere in civilian activities unless really necessary (and usually in their defense). You are confusing stationed troops with events when military goes out on the street in some dictatorship country. Garrisoned troops also don't have to be active personnel, they can be garaged vehicles/tanks/planes/whatever while most of the personnel being in reserves with some active staff to maintain a degree of alertness. Having a military base in city or very close to it really is a common thing and people are rarely even aware of their existence. Besides, seeing tanks on the streets would generate huge unhappines in ANY country democratic or not, it's an event (you don't keep them there for long, as it's too disruptive for city to function normally) not garrisoned troops ment to protect the city.

Having a minimal military presence, the Civ equivalent of 1 troop is still enough to cause trouble. There are always people willing to protest simple recruiting offices and other military related structures presence. This is reflected by the unhappiness from military troops. By the late game, you should have no troubles with happiness, and the civic gives enough happiness to allow several troops to be in each city.

As far as the cottages go, I had them (gave 1 :food), they leveled up and they still only gave 1 :food. No commerce bonus from second level (and no, I don't have barter civic, I adopted slavery very early in game). Then I checked civilopedia. Both cottage and hamlet give same benefits. You only get bonus commerce with specific civics. That means first 2 levels of them you get +1 :food and that's it. Village gives +1 commerce while town gives +1 commerce and +1 :hammer. That is great improvement for something that you wait forever to happen and that ultimately is bested by pretty much any other improvement in game. The whole point is, that if you want to nerf or balance something out (and they really needed balancing in previous versions) you need to do it carefully, mildly, so you don't overdo it. ROM doesn't have other improvements and balance as AND so using their values may be part of the problem. Of course, I can change that for myself.

Wow that's actually a bug. The XML got damaged some time in the transition process to AND 1.75, and no one ever mentioned it. It will be corrected in the next patch.

Btw, it's not the problem with not knowing what to do with civics, it's the fact that many are no-go like democracy example with draconian penalties and little benefits. There is no overrection here. I'm not mad or anything. I did mention that I HAVE flourishing nation. It's just that from so many options in this mod, it doesn't feel right that so many are actually bad options. Civics in specific should be the tool that makes player try different strategies in managing his nation. Like going for economy, or diplomacy, or military, or research. Many ways to go. With this setting most tactics orbit around unhappines management and unhappines management alone. So you either have to go 'police state' and keep large military to keep your people in check or go all peacefull with no military at all and at the mercy of other nations.

Did you not notice the difference between the maintenance costs between say, Despot and Democracy? It's something like 70% IIRC, which is several hundred gold per turn. Running a dictator like civic late game simply won't be viable because of your economy. But don't take my word, read our initial discussion and creation of the new government civics.

They DO attack you when you have weak military, btw. Economy, research and diplomacy seems to be more tied to research now then to civics as civics simply don't provide as much boost to any to really matter. There are some (like slavery) that are good choices, but only few civics actually give you such benefits which brings us back to limited options issue. I'm not saying that you need to change it, just to think about it.

Don't expect any changes. AND's 1.75 civics are a vast improvement over the old system. They are definitely a "shock" to new players unaccustomed to the mod and who don't understand the strategy behind them, but they should quickly make sense to you, so you can use and exploit them. I intended happiness and health to be hard to maintain early game, because, frankly, that's how it was historically.

Choose religion and Limited Religions aren`t working for me only? or can anyone be "not so lazy" :lol: to check and confirm this? PLEASE

Afforess,

Did you get a chance to look at the logs and save that I posted? Do you need anything else from me? It seems that every game has the same problem (can't decompress if we quit and then pick up again later), so we're pretty much unable to play Civ4 with AND. :(

Thanks!

A couple of suggestions :

Scout ignore terrain

Dye comes with Weaving

Corn, Wheat, Rice, Potatoes comes with Agriculture

Wheelwright gives +1 to movement promotion to all land units

Light House gives commerce instead of food

Switch unit graphic Galley-War Galley (but not icon)

Slave market switch Trade/Slavery req (so it shows under slavery)

### Fishing : ###
Reveal Pearls, Shrimp, Crab and Fish

Fish traps
Fishermans Hut (+1 food to watertiles)

Can work water tiles

### Sailing : ###
GALLEY
FISHING BOATS

Boat Yard

Reveal Whale

Enable Trade on rivers
Riverport