A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Feedback is no longer wanted or accepted then maybe
A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback
should be locked and a new thread AND Bug Reports opened instead.

@Aforress,
I don't have the Time or Inclination to learn XML so I guess I'll be turning to others for help.

@drHyde,
Spot on with your feedback, I agree with it, even if Aforress said it was wrong.

Ever since Killtech's influence became THE driving force behind Aforress' final iteration of AND, the "things" that had made AND a Major enhancement for RoM have been choked into lifelessness. The building upgrade chain became the building nerfing chain. Civics that once upon a time gave a boost to your Empire now have become the choice of using the "lesser" evil when you have to switch.

Also for example, All of Vincentz Modmods have dissappeared except for JC (and it's been gutted too, no hammers for being along a river).

All these are examples of "where did the fun go???" It got replaced by Reality. AND175A IS a challenging Mod, but not as "fun to play" mod as it used to be.

But of course None Of This Matters anymore, cause it's a Done Deal. Time to move on. Nothing to see here. :sad:

Thanks for the memories And the Help with RoM1.03 Afforess, Good Luck in your future endeavors.

I'm done.

JosEPh

Afforess, there's no need to be rude. If that's what you really want, just do it. Don't threaten people - either do it or don't.

I tend to agree though. If you don't want feedback for possible changes any more, don't have a feedback thread.

Arakhor, Afforess' prickly response to Joseph is justified from the way he worded his final statements. But oh well... All I can ask is that prominent posters just realize that we had a good run and leave each other in good dignity without any more criticisms since criticisms really are irrelevant now. Wait until Afforess set up a new AND modpack for Civ5, then join us with your ferocious criticisms because Afforess himself said he doesn't care if you are hard with them because he learn from them, more or less.

So, my suggestion: detente please?

Since Feedback is no longer wanted or accepted then maybe should be locked and a new thread AND Bug Reports opened instead.

There's a difference between "development is finished" and "feedback is no longer wanted or accepted", I'm sure you're aware of that. Afforess didn't tell you that you shouldn't give any feedback anymore, he simply pointed out that it would be futile to do so with the expectation that AND's game balance will be changed.

The point is, the balance "issues" that you're complaining about for several weeks now aren't mistakes or faults, they are matters of preference. There are players (like me) who enjoy the current balance and to whom it's a very positive characteristic of AND that it makes resources scarce, or that happiness and unhealthiness aren't easily dealt with. Supposed that Afforress did change AND to your liking, all it would achieve is that another group of users would become unhappy; there's no net gain of user satisfaction, and therefore continuously trying to rebalance a finished mod would be a waste of time.

If I want a mod tailormade for my preferences, then there's really no way around doing the changes myself. It's not rocket science, modders are usually very helpful if asked about technical help, and everyone who can write a coherent feedback post is definitely able to grasp the basics of Civ4 modding.

(As a side note, I'm sorry, but your complaints also seem inconsistent to me - in previous posts you complained that too much stuff had been added to AND and that the mod lost its focus, now you're complaining that some modmods have been taken out? If I'm on a project and get such inconsistent complaints from the same person, it usually makes me rather cautious with regard to fulfilling his wishes, because in my experience, this often just triggers to a new inconsistent complaint.)

To Afforess; I have to admit that I kind of hoped that you would be so disappointed by Civ5 that you returned to Civ4 AND, but I see it's not happening. ;) Still a pity imho, but good luck on your Civ5 endeavours. :)

Afforess, there's no need to be rude. If that's what you really want, just do it. Don't threaten people - either do it or don't.

I tend to agree though. If you don't want feedback for possible changes any more, don't have a feedback thread.

The brevity of my post was a kindness, I assure you. I understand others complaints, but I fundamentally disagree with most/all of them. Perhaps another skilled individual, willing to learn, not unlike myself over one year ago, will mod AND to his (or her) vision. The SVN repository explains how to use the existing set up, create installers, and modify the source code, as well as hosts previous AND versions. The resources are all there.

To Afforess; I have to admit that I kind of hoped that you would be so disappointed by Civ5 that you returned to Civ4 AND, but I see it's not happening. ;) Still a pity imho, but good luck on your Civ5 endeavours. :)

I am disappointed, but there is one key fact that will keep me away from Civ4, and modding Civ5. Civ5 has multicore support and DX11 support. This makes it future-proof, at least for the next 5-6 years. Civ4 is at the end of it's life. I may well end up removing all of Shafer's key changes, and make Civ5 more like Civ4, but that's fine with me. The only thing I wanted with Civ5 was source code access and multicore support. Everything else is a gift.

(...)

So, my suggestion: detente please?

I'll second that...

It would be a pity seeing the politeness and helpfull spirit i saw here for the last months would vanishe....

There's no need to push afforess into someway he clearly said he would not go, e.g. further develop AND beside from erasing bug's.

Beside from that, I've some bugs, I'd like them to be confirmed by others:

1. Even if i've not chosen "Blue Marble - Terrain" I get Blue Marble after Installation...
2. Due to Patch A, the Goodie Huts are back.... but has someone tried to place this improvements? At my Installations, somethings seems to be screwed.... I don't get what i want to place....

PS: Haven't had any such serious problems in any former AND Versions, so pls don't argue with "try clean - install" ... I'll mostly know what I'm doing ;-)

If you don't want feedback for possible changes any more, don't have a feedback thread.

One question: Is the only purpose of giving feedback, to make the designer tweak a project to my liking? If that's the case, then yes, feedback would be pointless and unwanted after a project is finished.

But what happened to the other purposes of feedback - giving someone something back because he did something well, or just reporting what parts of the product one enjoyed or didn't enjoy, or talking with others about their thoughts about these things? I can't speak for Afforess, but I can assure you that I'm usually happy when some feedback about a previous project of mine hits my inbox. I like reading how other people experienced my work.

If you see feedback solely as an instrument to make a designer do what you want, then I understand the notion that feedback threads should be closed after development has finished. But I really don't think that's the case. :)

TomCat, it appears the Blue Marble Artwork was inadvertantly merged into the AND fpk. To correct this, a (very) large patch would be required, since I would need to completely replace the fpk file, at least 100mb. Would others be willing to go for such a patch?

Afforess, speaking of me, there would be no need for such a large patch...
I just thought it was just a simple configuration/xml problem, so i can live with this terrain....

Any thoughts/suggestions on the (maybe) screwed up improvements?

You mean the cottage improvements? As I said before, coming in Patch B. I'm hesistant to release a patch to fix only one non-critical bug. (Critical = CTD).

Personally I would welcome the option to keep the original terrain. It might also enhance the mod's playability on lower-spec systems. I had to abandon my last game because at some point the game always crashed, telling me that I didn't have enough video memory. I thought I could buy me some space by switching to low-resolution terrain textures, but saw no change.

Actually I had installed AND specifically without Blue Marble, and wondered why the terrain looked different. I interpreted this as an "AND terrain" and the option in the installer just meant whether I wanted to play with Blue Marble or this "AND terrain". Apparently I was wrong? (This also means that the bug exists since at least AND 1.74.)

It's not that big a deal though - just something I'd use and appreciate, but I won't throw a fit if so few people want it that it isn't worth the effort. The fact that the bug probably existed for a while without anyone noticing, already indicates that "install without Blue Marble" isn't a very popular option.

Me too. I installed without Blue Marble. I didn't know it was already installed anyway.

So just tell me EXACT FILENAMES of BM files so I can see if I can figure out how to create two separate fpks. Or at least try... PM me info if you wanna.

You mean the cottage improvements? (

No, ALL Improvements seem to be screwed, at least here (so i'd like that someonelse could confirm this to report this as a Bug), e.g. if i place city ruins 1 in the worldbuilder, i get whaling boats instead, if placing city ruins 2, i get a mine, if placing a tribal village (thats what i called "Goodie huts ;-)), i get a shaft mine....

While I made the icons reappear from a SDK change, apparently, the needed code for what you want is in the EXE. You will need to disable the graphical only flag in the XML for them to work.

You mean the cottage improvements? As I said before, coming in Patch B. I'm hesistant to release a patch to fix only one non-critical bug. (Critical = CTD).
You could release a small hot-fix file.

TomCat, it appears the Blue Marble Artwork was inadvertantly merged into the AND fpk. To correct this, a (very) large patch would be required, since I would need to completely replace the fpk file, at least 100mb. Would others be willing to go for such a patch?
I'm fine with that.

Or you could just put what and how you fixed it and let the player do it themselves, "if" they wanted to, before you release any major patches, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom