1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

Ok, I'll have a look. :)

2. 45°38'N-13°47'E

While I agree on the Cannon --> Explosives move, I think Musketmen are coming a bit late and not Cannons coming too early; and I think that this way Cannons could be too close to artillery. But I'll try it anyway and I'll let you know.

3. c0dy

c0dy Chieftain

I'm pretty sure I couldn't stack more than 5 Early-destroyers on a tile. I'll check again to see. I also usually play 12 units/tile and it was ok. But I think a separate amount of units for cities makes more sense especially for lower numbers of units/tile. I like 5 as it makes war more of a challenge, except for taking cities. Bring 2 stacks with a couple siege weapons and done. Another issue I ran into is switching 5 unit stacks for another in an adjacent tile. Can't do it directly which would be really useful but that might be coded in the engine itself, not sure.

4. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Mmmm... I'm getting a debug report but it looks like something related to some python event or python function. I've not been able to solve it yet. :(

5. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I can wait. I'm doing some more autoplays to see how religions shake out with the changes to Monotheism.

6. 45°38'N-13°47'E

In the meantime I've fixed a couple more CTD and I've imported some more code from C2C to fix a bug that prevented AI to launch naval invasions. And I've added a "No nukes" option at the start of the game. Is it a problem for you if I update the dll and gameoption.xml and tbgametext.xml?

7. 45°38'N-13°47'E

About beelining to math, I think I've got it. I've tried changing tech costs and flavours but it didn't help. The problem is that Math enables 2 Wonders (Plato's Academy and Great Wall) and lets you advance to Classical Era. I've simply placed Alphabet instead of Math as a prereq for those WW and bang! AI research Alphabet instead of Math. So I've tried placing Math as prereq for GW and Alphabet for PA; problem is that I'm not 100% sure this can work. I've done some test and now AI seems to beeline to Alphabet; I'm not sure in some cases it will research Math instead. Both Math and Alphabet advances you to Classical Era, so once one is discovered there's no hurry to discover the other one for AI.
    It looks like Plato's Academy is the focus point of this problem because if I try to give Alphabet to GW and Math to PA, it will research Math. I could try to make PA requires both Alphabet AND Math but that requires Buildingschema mofication. Or we could change something else like prereq techs for PA and ability to advace to next era. I don't know, I need to experiment.

Edit: Ok, from some quick test it looks like giving Plato's Academy both Alphabet and Mathematics as prerequisites, AI doesn't beeline to Math anymore. (And it wasn't necessary to modify Buildingschema).

8. 45°38'N-13°47'E

And speaking about religions: what about making Theology a prereq for Feudalism instead of Code of Laws (or together with it)? That way Christianty can be founded earlier by AI, which usually skips Theology to move to Feudalism and founds Christianity in late Middle Age instead of early Middle Age as it's supposed to be by its tech tree placement; and Confucianism and Christianity relation to each other remains the same with this slight change.

9. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I'm not a big fan of that. I like Theology and Feudalism as the starter technologies for the Medieval Era. I think the bigger problem is that whatever chooses the next tech for the AI to research is way too narrow and that's giving us the repetitive effects and skipped techs that we're currently seeing. Is there a way to throw in a little more randomness?

10. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Possibly, but I need to find where in the code these decisions are made. It will take a bit, I think.

11. nionios

nionios Chieftain

Fist of all, hi to all of you and special thanks to the AND Ressurection Team. :clap:

Somewhere else in the forum I've read that the unit-per-tile limit is for units of the same era.For example: if you play with 5 Upt you can have 5 Macemen(Medieval) and 5 Musketmans(Renaissance) on the same tile because they are from different eras.

12. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I've got another repeating crash to desktop when I end the turn on the attached save game. I don't know if it's the same issue or not.

13. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

OK by me. The other thing I was thinking of was to add more stuff to the techs that aren't getting used and make them more attractive.

14. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Go ahead and do that. I can pull out the modified tech tree file and put it back in after updating.

15. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Another thing I've observed: Galleass come with Rudder but they display cannons... Now, I know we can't wait until Gunpowder to enable Galleass, but maybe requiring Alchemy or Alchemy+Rudder? Wouldn't it be a little bit more realistic? What do you think Vokarya?

16. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Looks to me it's the same problem, I get something related to python. I'll have to check python code also, although I've mainly worked on dll code until now. Do you get these crashes always when autoplaying? I mean, I know this save crashes even if you play manually, but were you always playing in autoplay when you got these saves?
    I'm asking because I remember in the past getting some odd crashes which were probably caused by some autoplay function or conflict.

17. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Both of these crashes were during autoplay games, but when I go back and reload from the last autosave (I have it set to autosave every 2 turns), it still repeatedly crashes without autoplaying. Are there any log files that would help?

18. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Chieftain

@Nionios - I agree with you, I've been able to break the limit per tile setting.

I think I did it with different era units.

On shipping, the units per tile applies to naval units only. So if you have a limit of 15 units and have 6 Destroyers (oil), 2 battleships (oil) and 7 Transports (oil), it won't let you add a carrier (oil), but you could add a flotilla of wooden shipping (but WHY WOULD YOU??) No submarines could be added either, as they would exceed the flotilla limits.

BUT each transport could have up to 7 units, with the right promotions, that's a total of 49 land units. Trouble is, when you disembark, they now strike the 15 units per tile limit and have to off loaded in 4 separate landing area's. (3*15<49, 4*15>45)

19. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I don't really want to change the prerequisites for the Galleass. I could try to take the cannons off. I know enough about model files to possibly be able to get away with that.

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I believe in the BUG options you can change the number of units in a stack. And -1 does not set a limit.

JosEPh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.