Altered Maps X: Ten Time's a Altered Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't ever control Punt, Assyria, Crete, or any part of Greece or Turkey, did they? :confused:

With Punt, they just sent a few ships and traded some goods every now and then. The map is labeled to be in the 15th century B.C. so I have no idea why Assyria is on it, but Thutmose III campaigned into Mitanni territory, crossed the euphrates and pillaged some cities. But he didn't reach the Tigris. The Egyptians had some contact with the Minoan civilization of Crete, but definitely didn't control the island. No idea where they're gettin the Greece or Turkey lines.

Had no idea Cyprus was part of what, the Middle Kingdom? Fascinating albeit flawed map.

Is it possible that they've just taken the "borders" of the empire at the most liberal possible interpretation, and so included tributary states and/or zones of influence?

Is it possible that they've just taken the "borders" of the empire at the most liberal possible interpretation, and so included tributary states and/or zones of influence?

I think you're looking for "pulling a PRC"

Had no idea Cyprus was part of what, the Middle Kingdom? Fascinating albeit flawed map.

I think it is suppose to be New Kingdom Egypt. The King of Alshiya(Cyprus or at least part of it) sent massive amounts of copper to Egypt, but it's not known if this was tribute or just trade.

I think they've gone farther and included speculated areas of trading between Egypt and other states.

I love old maps.
Spoiler :
0 - At the centre of the map: Jerusalem, above it: the crucifix.
1 - The Paradise, surrounded by a wall and a ring of fire.
2 - The Ganges and its delta.
3 - The fabulous island of Taphana, sometimes interpreted as Sri Lanka or Sumatra.
4 - Rivers Indus and Tigris.
5 - The Caspian Sea, and the land of Gog and Magog
6 - Babylon and the Euphrates.
7 - The Persian Gulf.
8 - The Red Sea (painted in red).
9 - Noah's Ark.
10 - The Dead Sea, Sodom and Gomorrah, with the River Jordan, coming from the Sea of Galilee; above: Lot's wife.
11 - Egypt with the River Nile.
12 - The River Nile (?), or possibly an allusion to the equatorial ocean; far outside: a land of mutants, possibly the Antipodes.
13 - The Azov Sea with rivers Don and Dnjepr; above: the Golden Fleece.
14 - Constantinople; left of it the Danube's delta.
15 - The Aegean Sea.
16 - Oversized delta of the Nile with Alexandria's Lighthouse.
17 - The legendary Norwegian Gansmir, with his skis and ski pole.
18 - Greece with Mt. Olympus, Athens and Corinth
19 - Misplaced Crete with the Minotaur's circular labyrinth.
20 - The Adriatic Sea; Italy with Rome, honoured by a popular hexameter: Roma caput mundi tenet orbis frena rotundi (Rome, the head, holds the reins of the world).
21 - Sicily and Carthage, opposing Rome, right of it.
22 - Scotland.
23 - England.
24 - Ireland.
25 - The Balearic Islands.
26 - The Strait of Gibraltar (the Pillars of Hercules).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/progarmmes/p007hx25

Or another one:

EDIT: Just found this one:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom