Altered Maps XVI: Gerardus Mercator Must Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

Supposedly protestant churches in Germany or something like that

A bit of Wiki-diving suggests they're probably the Regierungsbezirk, which are apparently an administrative division used by the federal government? An odd choice, given that they've used states or equivalents in other federal countries.

Well, judging by the borders that may be what whoever made the template for the map intended.
It doesn't make any sense because Districts are very close to not being a thing.
For one they are not actual polities (and there's nothing federal about them); they're just a way for states to go Roman Empire on their own bureaucracy. I.e. they're arbitrary, can be changed at a whim or abandoned alltogether and, obviously, have no independent agency.
And, well, only four states still have them at all, largely because they are an administrative tool from the age of snail mail and switchboard operators.

But anyway, good - and probably correct - guess on your part.
Supposedly protestant churches in Germany or something like that
Yeah. Technically these are the members of the EKD.
You know the way Scandinavian (no offense ;) ) countries have state churches.
Well, we - being weird - have two of those: The EKD and that heathen nonsense being run from Rome.
In any case the organisation is not "protestant" but Lutheran and/or Reformed (i.e. Calvinist).
If you're, say, a Babtist in Germany you have roughly as much state support as an African medicine woman.

I'd rather be Lutheran than Calvinist, I'd agree.

Practically halfway between the Library of the University of Buenos Aires and whatever the New Zealanders have. Trust the Rugby Championship to be involved in this.

I mean the coordinates are given in the short story
Oh.
Maybe the breakthrough is verification? ^^
Johansen’s voyage had begun just as he told it to the vice-admiralty. The Emma, in ballast, had cleared Auckland on February 20th, and had felt the full force of that earthquake-born tempest which must have heaved up from the sea-bottom the horrors that filled men’s dreams. Once more under control, the ship was making good progress when held up by the Alert on March 22nd, and I could feel the mate’s regret as he wrote of her bombardment and sinking. Of the swarthy cult-fiends on the Alert he speaks with significant horror. There was some peculiarly abominable quality about them which made their destruction seem almost a duty, and Johansen shews ingenuous wonder at the charge of ruthlessness brought against his party during the proceedings of the court of inquiry. Then, driven ahead by curiosity in their captured yacht under Johansen’s command, the men sight a great stone pillar sticking out of the sea, and in S. Latitude 47° 9′, W. Longitude 126° 43′ come upon a coast-line of mingled mud, ooze, and weedy Cyclopean masonry which can be nothing less than the tangible substance of earth’s supreme terror—the nightmare corpse-city of R’lyeh, that was built in measureless aeons behind history by the vast, loathsome shapes that seeped down from the dark stars. There lay great Cthulhu and his hordes, hidden in green slimy vaults and sending out at last, after cycles incalculable, the thoughts that spread fear to the dreams of the sensitive and called imperiously to the faithful to come on a pilgrimage of liberation and restoration. All this Johansen did not suspect, but God knows he soon saw enough!

Only guy who survived after seeing Cthulhu was a norwegian sailor lol

Must have had practice after all those krakens.

Not sure how correct this is, but:

That 300k in France looks high, but I saw somewhere an article that confirmed that and also stated that there were roughly 300k Frenchmen in UK.

And I wouldn't be surprised if none of them got to vote on whether the UK stays in the EU or not, because who cares about their opinions? :rolleyes:

Very surprisingly, at least some are entirely in favour of Brexit, for reasons unfathomable.

I am pretty sure it was often noted that the massive 4K strong colony of Gibraltar did vote :p

They don't live in "other EU countries", as Gibraltar is politically neither in Spain nor an independent territory. (But peculiarly, 3% of Gibraltans did want to leave the EU.)

That 300k in France looks high, but I saw somewhere an article that confirmed that and also stated that there were roughly 300k Frenchmen in UK.

In the i newspaper (stripped down version of the Independent) today they gave about 148,800 British in France and 155,000 French in UK. Only half the UK citizens were working. 67 of the French were working or studying. 2 in 3 of the French worked in "higher level proffessions"

I think the 300K figure is also correct but includes people on extended visits or working for a few months.

This also applies to other countries such as Spain where many people work in Bars etc for a few months then come back to the UK so do not show up in residence surveys.

Though I do think retired expats make up a disproportionate chunk of UK citizens living in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom