Altered Maps XVI: Gerardus Mercator Must Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the i newspaper (stripped down version of the Independent) today they gave about 148,800 British in France and 155,000 French in UK. Only half the UK citizens were working. 67 of the French were working or studying. 2 in 3 of the French worked in "higher level proffessions"

I think the 300K figure is also correct but includes people on extended visits or working for a few months.

This also applies to other countries such as Spain where many people work in Bars etc for a few months then come back to the UK so do not show up in residence surveys.

Figures are as valuable as knowing the definitions behind them :)

All in all the figures were higher than my gut feeling. I could not resist digging a bit further in Spain, that 1 Mio of the graph. I thought a big portion would be pensioners, which was not the case.
From the Guardian this expats overview:
Top 10 destinations for UK expats*
Australia 1,062,000 (251,000)

USA 829,000 (140,000)

Spain 808,000 (104,000)

Canada 608,000 (157,000)

Ireland 289,000 (126,000

France 253,000 (57,000)

New Zealand 248,000 (54,000)

South Africa 219,000 (38,000)

Germany 97,000 (39,000)

UAE 65,000 (680)

*Table shows numbers of expats in each country, and in brackets the number of pensioners

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/nov/26/where-do-uk-expats-live

I wouldn't describe Australia as having 1m "expats". That's UK-born people, but a lot of those won't ever be coming back and won't even regard themselves as British. By year of arrival that's about 140k since 2010, and 700k arrived before 1995.

Kaisermania! Nietscheburg! :lol:

I wouldn't describe Australia as having 1m "expats". That's UK-born people, but a lot of those won't ever be coming back and won't even regard themselves as British. By year of arrival that's about 140k since 2010, and 700k arrived before 1995.
Indeed, I've heard of this phenomenon.
Fear the Kaisermaniacs!:scared:
Yeah, those divinely-appointed monarchs are creepy.

Hey, you take any metric on which Australia does well at running a decent societ compared to the rest of the Anglosphere and you can usually trace it back to Greek, Italian and German immigration.
So, you of all peoploe shouldn't be mocking that. :p

Also Irish. Also I'm not sure about German, they mostly just hung out in Adelaide as far as I know.

Spoiler Somewhat inappropriate for work :

Moderator Action: Added spoiler due to content of the image. ~ Arakhor

Last edited by a moderator:
No mention of war elephants?

Αχ Ελλάδα σαγαπώ! Great ideas come to fruition.

I guess this is after a nuclear war, when they wiped part of the UK and south east asia from the map ...
EDIT: And part of Africa. And Southern America. And Denmark. And one of the islands of NZ.
Seriously, did someone hand draw this...?

At first I thought that it was meant to also represent a sea level rise that made many parts of the world disappear. But Southeast Asia is just weird, with Vietnam completely mislocated. So it's probably just crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom