Altered Maps XVI: Gerardus Mercator Must Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have to get patriotic about a drink, tea would be a far better idea!

If we have to get patriotic about a drink, tea would be a far better idea!
The history of tea in Britain is inextricably bound up with the history of the Empire. You're sipping on hot, refreshing colonialism!

Beer can be produced entirely with the native product of England, no terrorising of the Indies required. A good Commonwealthman's drink.

(It wouldn't work so well in Scotland, because our climate is too miserable for hops, so we have to import them from the Netherlands, and while that seems innocuous, any Scotch-Dutch connection has King Billy standing just outside of frame, and that's a whole murderous rabbit-hole of it's own. But we can get patriotic about whisky, instead, so that's fine.)

Why do all of your posts sound cultured and sophisticated even when you're trying to be crass?

I was in a Wetherspoon's at Christmas. It was quite possibly the first time I'd been in a pub all year.

Not really, I dont think. Germany's problem is that they went into the genocide business after it went out of fashion. Just a few decades earlier and nobody would even talk about it.

Which I think is a bit of a problem. Genocide ought to be acknowledge no matter when it happened. Especially imperialist countries have a lot of baggage to reckon with.

Somebody should retire the Almogavers banner from the Camp Nou stadium. ;)

I know, I know, precisely it is the point. That is not a genocide anyone remembers or cares about, and all in all it is relatively insignificant given the plethora of colonial genocides that go unacknowledged.

Eh. Germany is good, but there's only so much you can do with lager. England beats the Bundesrepublik hands down.

Now, Belgium, there's a rival to be wary of.

We're too busy engaging in colonial crimes or having a government in shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom