• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Alternate History Thread IV: The Sequel

If Greece hadn't gone on to conquer the known world, I would imagine they themselves would tend to be even more disunited than in OTL, which might spur military innovation.
But they were extremely disunited...in Hellas itself. Which spurred an enormous amount of military innovation.
North King said:
While the Greek phalanx is essentially inferior to the Roman legion no matter what the era, I do wonder if resistance would be prolonged...
I feel tension rising. Well, at least I hope it is.
Well, the claim of "every era" is probably a bit over the top, to be honest, but as time goes on, the Romans are certainly superior to the Greeks in military matters. The Roman legion is simply more flexible tactically speaking than a Greek phalanx, in more than one sense of the word.
Problem is, it isn't more flexible than the full spectrum of Successor units, if properly used (as they were in, say, most of the third century BC). Hellenistic cavalry is automatically superior to anything the Romans can field, right off the bat. Italian cavalry just stinks and isn't worth the mnai you pay for it. That lends itself to an envelopment already. Then, too, Roman missile troops haven't got the variation and flexibility that the Hellenes do. Where the Romans have their velites (with the rorarii and ascensii being largely abandoned by the time they've got any reason to face the Hellenes at all), there are the various arms of the psiloi (giving Hellenic missile troops much better range than the Romans already, along with the akontistai being essentially the same unit as the velites), as well as the famed peltastai that can outdo any Roman missile units in both a skirmishing duel and a hand-to-hand battle. Then, of course, there are the main bodies of infantry themselves. It is true that, on rough ground or in pursuit, a Makedonian phalanx is inferior to a Roman legion, which has the ability to infiltrate between the pikes and carve up the phalanx from the inside. (Which is why, after the Battle of Kynoskephalai, the Makedonians developed their hysteroi pezhetairoi, which were much better armed for hand-to-hand combat, and would have lasted much longer against the Roman legionary.) But on flat ground, the Romans would have been cut to pieces. In addition, the Hellenistic system has several types of infantry (later derided as 'copies' of the legionary by silly games like Rome: Total War, which is basically useless unless heavily modded) which could easily go toe-to-toe with the legionary and were just as flexible: the thureophoroi, thorakitai, and theraspidai. The Makedonians also have their previously mentioned Agrianikoi pelekuphoroi, which have excellent AP axes in addition to armament and armor similar to that of the Romans.

Yes, the obvious response is, 'If the Greeks were so pwnage then why didn't they beat the Romans?' When one looks at the clash between the Hellenistic and Roman states, one immediately notes that there's a short window of time when it was actually something resembling a conflict as opposed to a steamroll: the decades of the 200s and the 190s BC, with perhaps an extension in the case of Makedonia to the Third Makedonian War, which saw an amazing performance by Perseus' military against several Roman armies before the defeat of Pydna. In any event, that leaves us with two specific events in which the Roman tactical system and the Hellenistic tactical system clashed: the battles of Kynoskephalai and Magnesia. At Kynoskephalai, the Roman system was allowed to play to its strengths: fighting on uneven ground against the phalangial units of Philippos V (who in some cases were stupidly forced to fight with their swords, which was not something they were prepared to do very well). It kinda helped that the Romans were using elephants for the one time they make a significant appearance in the Roman military, and that they also beat the Makedonian left wing before it could form up, and then outnumbered the Makedonians two to one and had a dandy flanking position. If somebody competent had been leading the Makedonian army instead of Philippos V - Antigonos Gonatas and Antigonos Doson, his predecessors, come to mind, and his son Perseus was fairly skilled as well - then the tactical error of the left wing's slow formation would have been rectified and the battle likely to have an alternate outcome. The defeat of Magnesia is less obvious to diagnose because of the paucity of sources that agree, but it is generally agreed that again, an uncharacteristic tactical error was made by Antiokhos Megas in sending his cavalry off the field after defeating the allied Roman/Pergamene left-wing cavalry (just like the error of Demetrios Poliorketes at Ipsos), which allowed the Pergamenes to charge into the gap the cavalry left and thus outflank the Seleukid army.

As for the original Hellenic phalanx, it actually might do better than the Makedonian syntagma did in OTL at Kynoskephalai, since it wasn't nearly so rigid. Incorporating Iphikratid hoplitai into the equation, they might actually prove superior to the legion on uneven ground.
Actually, in the long term Greece just might emerge united out of the wars of the 4th century (though I agree that they would be more bitter, intense and many-sided than in OTL if Macedonia is unable to dominate as easily as in OTL), though I suppose that even then any unity is going to be shaky. Still, some kind of synthesis between monarchy and symmachy might work if given good circumstances.
If the Makedonians aren't busy trying to fight against the Ptolemaioi in the Aigion (who on several occasions were the only ones sustaining their enemies in Hellas itself), they should have a much better opportunity to exert dominance over the cities themselves. Alexandros and Antipatros proved that so long as it's a one-on-one contest, the Makedonians can come out victorious. A similar comparison can be made with the Thessalians; if they don't have to deal with so many external threats - which, given the relatively lower importance to intervening in Hellas to this timeline's Egypt, they probably won't - then they ought to be able to be supreme in Hellas itself.
das said:
I'm not sure if there is any point to translating most Greek "unit" names. They are usually left untranslated anyway, so it's easier to look them up this way.
Pretty much; 'pezhetairoi', for example, is a lot simpler than 'feudal Makedonian phalangial infantry'.
I suppose if the Egyptians managed to build on the Ptolemaic navy and combine it with a better-trained land force, they could emerge as a major player. Sans that, though, I can't see it.
Would the naval arms race even start in this era without the initial spur of the wars of the Diadochi?
North King said:
How would it end up united if it didn't even in OTL?
No Ptolemaioi.
North King said:
By translate, I mean, give an explanation of what they are. Honestly I don't like having to go through Wikipedia every time I encounter a word; it's a lot more comprehensible if explained in text, or even with footnotes.
Time for a quick cheat sheet then. If I mention anything else, I'll edit the post here to show you.

Pezhetairoi = feudal Makedonian phalangial infantry.
Hypaspistai = Makedonian 'royal guard', armed with the same armor as the hoplitai. Serves as a 'link' between cavalry and pezhetairoi.
Hippeis Thessalikoi = Thessalian cavalry, some of the best heavy cavalry in the world, armed with lance.
Prodromoi = Makedonian medium cavalry, better in a melee than the hippeis Thessalikoi and also armed with a lance.
Agrianikoi pelekuphoroi = Assault infantry from Makedonia, armed with axe, sword, and javelins.
Thureophoroi = Medium infantry armed with a spear, some javelins, sword, and thureos shield.
Thorakitai = Heavy infantry version of the thureophoroi.
Theraspidai = Heavy Makedonian elite peltastai.
Peltastai = Skirmishers that fall between light and medium infantry.
Akontistai = Javelinmen.
Toxotai = Archers.
Sphendonetai = Slingers.
Argyraspides = 'Silver Shield' pikemen, elite phalangial infantry of Makedonia (and later Arche Seleukeia).
Rhomphaiaphoroi = Insanely awesome Thraikian heavy infantry, armed with wicked long curved swords and javelins.
Iphikratid hoplitai = Lighter-armed version of hoplitai, fighting with longer spears, with less armor, and less densely packed, and so better able to fight on uneven ground. They have taken the place of regular, 'classical' hoplitai in most of Hellas by the third century BC.

EDIT: As to das' most recent post, I don't think that the Molossians really had the oomph to unite Hellas (Pyrrhos notwithstanding). It's notable that most of the time Pyrrhos had to borrow his troops from the Makedonians or the Seleukids (that's how he invaded Italy after all) and that his only really successful period, the 272 victory in Makedonia, was mostly due to the fact that the main Antigonid armies were away.

@das: Yes you are correct but for all our sakes I hope what I am writing is in fact Alt-Hist lol

Technically it will have been if changes were to occur in the past, which would seem to be a rather inevitable precondition regardless.

With regards to Greeks vs. Romans, I would just like to add that the Romans had the numerical advantage that comes from controlling all/most of Italy; their army was naturally more unified than any Greek armies. Perhaps another advantage of the Romans was that the social processes that had already gnawed at the heart of the Greek polis had not yet gone as far in the res publica, again allowing the Romans to raise a larger and more disciplined force.

Would the naval arms race even start in this era without the initial spur of the wars of the Diadochi?

There are other things to fight over. Perhaps in this world the epicenter of conflicts will be shifted westwards, i.e. without the fighting over Alexander's empire there would be more fighting over the Mediterranean trade routes?

Rhomphaiaphoroi = Insanely awesome Thraikian heavy infantry, armed with wicked long curved swords and javelins.

But what does that word even mean, literally?

With regards to Greeks vs. Romans, I would just like to add that the Romans had the numerical advantage that comes from controlling all/most of Italy; their army was naturally more unified than any Greek armies.
Yeah, having the alae to fight a lot of battles for you helps out quite a bit. :p
das said:
There are other things to fight over. Perhaps in this world the epicenter of conflicts will be shifted westwards, i.e. without the fighting over Alexander's empire there would be more fighting over the Mediterranean trade routes?
So with naval combat ability as opposed to prestige being a relative premium, would that ridiculous 'polireme' contest not occur? 'Eights' were plenty and IMHO even a bit too big and expensive, but of course they had to go bigger.
das said:
But what does that word even mean, literally?
Means that the warrior bears a rhomphaia, which is a long-handled, slightly curved long (2 meters) sword. Sometimes they were used as spears, too, which doesn't seem to have been hugely effective. Rhomphaiaphoroi did, of course, have the key disadvantages of: being elite troops and thus not plentiful, and not bearing shields.

Okay, PoD idea for the day. Starting with Otto I not losing that skirmish with the Saracens in Calabria in the late 10th century, continued consolidation allows Otto's heirs gain secure hereditary control of the Kingdom of Sicily, as opposed to OTL when it was shaky at best, and eventually ripped apart by the papacy enlisting Charles of Anjou, who subsequently got Sicilian Vespered.

In the long term, the stronger Southern Italian position allows the Ghibellines to triumph when the Investiture Controversy or the ATL great confrontation between papacy and emperor occurs.

Of course, the Hohenstaufens could never keep Germany AND Sicily/Italy, with German nobility being what they were, so their eventual post-Barbarossa loss of power could still occur, except in Italy, the north of which by now has become subordinated to Hohenstaufen overlordship, perhaps by some compromise with the urban communes.

So, what can then happen in the 14th century is a Hundred Years War event, except in Germany, of the Lombard Empire/Italianized Hohenstaufen cadet branch forcing itself back into Germany to (re)claim the German portions of the Empire...and with papal support, no less. That would be a VERY protracted conflict.

Since the Hohenstaufens would have the papacy thoroughly subdued by now, it would ironically be the 'imposter' German antipopes (appointed by whichever German dynasty seized the election from the Hohenstaufens) that oppose them.

In other news - I'll comment on your TL soon, Thlayli, as soon as I reread what I've got on medieval Italy :p - I have discovered that apparently the rhomphaia is also called a falx, and in fact that is what it goes by in Rome: Total War and in some Western literature on Thracian warfare. Sadly, the RTW depiction of 'falxmen' doesn't come close to matching reality, but then again, neither do many of their non-Roman units, so I suppose one can't really blame them.

As for the wider world in Hohenland, I see better organized crusades in the offing as well, since Sicily is prime territory for launching said expeditions by sea, no Byzantine Emperors have to get PO'ed, and the HRE, being in control of the papacy, will be more integrated into the crusading armies than OTL.

(As a minor side note, I'm a direct father-son descendent of Otto the Great by his marriage with St. Adelaide, so look for a restored Holy Roman Empire coming soon to a theatre near you)

I can't remember if it has been done or not, but if both War Plan Red (US invading Maritimes and strategic Canadian cities like Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal, Quebec City, Sudbury, Victoria, Prince Rupert, and Toronto) and Defence Scheme No. 1 (Canada preemptively invading Seattle, Great Falls Montana, Minneapolis, and Albany) were both implemented, in the mid-20s or late 30s (not during the depression, obviously), what would the effect be? I'm thinking specifically Europe, but the world as a whole would be interesting to see.

Would a Germany-US-Italy axis be plausible in this case?

Yeah. If Canada hit the northern US without tacit British approval (which I can't imagine being given at the time), Canada would cease to exist. If it was the late 30s, Britain would probably immediately disavow Canada and allow it to be gobbled up to try and preserve friendship with the US. If it was the mid 20s, it would probably result in the US walking out on the Washington Naval Treaty, giving the Japanese a good excuse to do so earlier. With America no longer having Britain's back in the Pacific and both it and the Japanese feeling scorned by them, there is the possibility you might see the odd rise of a three-way WWII (US-Japan, UK-USSR-France, Germany-Italy).

I support the US-Japan alliance. :p How would the USSR's relations with Japan work out, do you think?

I can't imagine it going over all that well. For that matter, I can't see the UK or USSR holding out against Nazi Germany without some form of lend-lease. I mean, the British military fought admirably, but they nearly starved to death with all of the merchant shipping that was sunk -- imagine if most of it didn't even sail at all.

Oh I forgot to mention:

War Plan Crimson was only Canada, War Plan Red was Britain too, but the plan was to take out Canada first, separating Britain from the colonies (by taking control of the atlantic). so the use of War Plan Red would be to invade Canada as part of a war with Britain.

Shrug. Britain makes a few gains at first until American industrial might completely and utterly crushes its fleet. America was pissed off enough about Japan bombing a military base. If Canada invaded the north and Britain started raiding the coast then both would eventually cease to exist. In that instance I would not be at all surprised to see the American flag consisting of 67 stars--13 for Canada and 4 for the British Isles.

If Britain gets in on it (and is subsequently destroyed), the Germans wind up with Europe basically, and Japan conquers most of East Asia, Southeast Asia, and probably North Asia too.

Shrug. Britain makes a few gains at first until American industrial might completely and utterly crushes its fleet. America was pissed off enough about Japan bombing a military base. If Canada invaded the north and Britain started raiding the coast then both would eventually cease to exist. In that instance I would not be at all surprised to see the American flag consisting of 67 stars--13 for Canada and 4 for the British Isles.

4 states for the British Isles would result in ridiculously large populations for those 4 compared to the other 63.

Just as in any theoretical invasion of Mexico, you can bet they'd be kept territories quite a good deal beyond when they made the minimum requirements for statehood. Really, only England would have a big population of them anyway. Wales, Scotland, and Ireland aren't very populated in comparison.

Yeah, I'm just thinking of the far future. In 2008, a theoretical England-as-an-American-state has fifty million people.

I support the US-Japan alliance. :p How would the USSR's relations with Japan work out, do you think?

I second support for a U.S-Japanese Alliance as well. With Chiang being completely worthless a friendly Japanese controlled China would sound better to the U.S then say a hostile communist China under Mao :D

If Britain gets in on it (and is subsequently destroyed), the Germans wind up with Europe basically, and Japan conquers most of East Asia, Southeast Asia, and probably North Asia too.

We were always at war with the Third Reich. ;)

More or less. The difference is the three actually are radically different from each other, despite some token surface similarities. What's most likely is the Reich and the Empire mellow out eventually under nearly-tidal social stresses and undergo lots of reforms and probably some peripheral Balkanization.

Meanwhile, in Siberia, Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and South America, trouble brews...

looking to finally write an alt history that i may or may-not base a NES off of. Looking to have the all-knowning NESers for your feedback and more-knowledge-than-me

Naploen dies in his campaign into Damascus after contracting ze bubonic plague, that or he gets shot, i have thoughts on how this would play out but i have yet to put them down so they are rather rough

The USSR collapses a few years before the current time-line. This causes significant changes in the balance of power including the re-emergence of a "Democratic" Russia and "legitemately" reforge its legacy.

Top Bottom