April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Is the Malon Raider still a standalone unit? Is it the only one left, if so?
Pretty sure the Mountie is still a standalone unit. That one makes sense as it primarily is useful for national parks and the only one that doesn't upgrade into anything so they stay for the rest of the game.

Also glad that the Winged Hussars are early cuirassiers and you don't have to wait until the Industrial Era for them. :D

Scotland ignored... my least favorite Civ remains my least favorite Civ.
It's still definitely the worst leader ability, in my opinion, but at least all the other components of Scotland to me are fine.

So to play Scotland I have to use civ expanded mod... for me that Scotland is only true Scotland... OG Scotland is dead. Same with Netherlands.

Moderator Action: You don't like the patch, we get it - enough! --NZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't it suggested before that the naval AI would be improved? From these patch notes, one can't really tell. Notes themselves suggest only peripheral AI related to naval stuff is dealt with, but the overall strategic and tactical AI is not necessarily touched at all. Stuff like detecting what kind of fleet the enemy has, what kind of ships does the AI need to build to counter it, and how the AI should use its ships in battle, tactically.

Usually the patch notes haven't given out everything that has changed, for some reasons, like there has been threads on things people find that were not in the patch notes.
They definately told that AI is more active in using navies in the preview video so I guess they just forgot to type that stuff up

So TR gives Netherlands a free monument. I don't understand what's wrong with that considering that's not the main focus of the civ.

For me the most disappointing aspect is the Loyalty "buff" - +2 Loyalty to domestic trade routes is still pretty weak. I can't claim to have any creative or super interesting alternatives, but even if it was something like [+2 Loyalty to domestic trade routes, +4 Loyalty to domestic trade routes on a different continent] that would be more interesting/useful.

+2 Culture from International trade routes isn't nothing, but again this might be more interesting if it was boosted depending on your relationship with the Civ - so maybe a +2 base, rising to +3 if you're Allies, rising to +4 if you're Allies and have an Embassy in their Capital. I'm not an expert on Dutch history so I can't speak to how thematically these would fit with Radio Oranje, just my suggestions.

This is really disappointing. So many problems not fixed. Why boost some of the strongest civs and not the weaker ones?

Could someone please enlighten me as to what a "Tier 3 start bias" is. I get the start bias, but what is the difference between Tier 1, 2 etc?

There's a lot to like here, even if I wish they'd gone a bit further with some nerfs to the strongest civs and some buffs to those that needed it.

Spain replaces England as the colonizer civ, and those games are always fun to play. The new China effect is going to be super fun as well.

Also, do we know what the deal was with Atlantis? I don't see it is a toggle-option on the TSL Huge Earth map. I know there was a suggestion that Secret Societies would enable it, but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

[Gathering Storm] Tourism Updates
  • "Cultural Domination" term clarified in Culture victory sections of World Rankings and Civilopedia.
  • Cultural Domination provides ongoing effects:
International Trade Routes to foreign cities you culturally dominate provide +4 Gold.

Spy missions in foreign cities you culturally dominate are 50% faster to complete.

Your citizens exert 25% more Loyalty pressure on foreign cities you culturally dominate.

This cultural change is awesome. But I wish there's a tier system, when you are, say 50% dominate, or 75% dominate, you gain something but not the full bonus. Like what they did in Civ V.

Pet the dog on the Scout doesn't do anything on the PS4 unless it just there for the memes.

It's still definitely the worst leader ability, in my opinion, but at least all the other components of Scotland to me are fine.

Just a personal opinion of mine. I understand why people like them. Yes, it would have been nice to see them change the awfulness that is Bannockburn (which I had hope for when they removed Tamar’s CB ability).

Radio Oranje really needs to scale. Either based on alliances, or ages, or something. The ability itself isn't bad (just boring) but the old +1 loyalty and +1 culture were just ridiculous to the point of not even noticing them. Making them +2 almost feels like a troll effort.

And no changes to Scotland, a civ with a leader ability I've never even had a chance to use in my games playing them? It's like playing without an ability.

Lot of good things in this update (the tourism changes are a welcome and well-needed surprise! ), but the egregious ignoring of the most dire needs of changing really sours my view of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom