April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Impossible to scout with scout units. I am using cavalry.
I'm using Sun Wukong... :mischief:

Anyone else finding that trebuchets don't last long? You get them with gunpowder, then the next tech is for musket, and after that it's the one for bombard, all priority techs for Dom based strategy, which is where you'd be using trebuchets. This is what I feared when they announced it - the unit may become obsolete almost as soon as you build it.
To me Trebs look good in the place they are. They tend to be upgraded from Catapults anyways (at least if you play militaristic) and as others stated: you usually use available niter on melee rather than on bombards, no?

I'm really digging the changes to Spain. They look like they'll make for a fun military/religion/colonialism mashup.

Thinking about the cultural domination changes, I really appreciate how this adds some synergy between clearly Domination-focused civs and improvements (and infrastructure) that give tourism. It adds more coherency to their kits and reduces the amount of victory-type segregation between them.

As a quick list...
  • Scythia now gets loyalty help if they've been building their Kurgans
  • Same with Mapuche and the Chemamull
  • A Domination game with Gorgo now gives your Acropolis a purpose beyond better governments and cards
  • Vietnamese Domination now strengthens your Thanh's bond between warfare and tourism
  • Grand Master's Chapel-abusing Georgia now loves the Tsikhe even more
  • And of course, who can forget the most important route to victory of all? THE MEME CANADA DOMINATION GAME!

Whenever I open the civilopedia, the game starts running much worse, and may crash a bit later. It runs perfectly fine if I never open it.

Edit - I was wrong. It is the latest geforce driver blowing up my comp.
Edit 2 - Seems it was the new launcher...

Last edited:
Who had "big changes" in the april balance update?

It doens't need to be a single answer. I'm just going through replaying civs that had substantial changes.

So far, I've done Spain, Canada, and I'm in a Khmer game. I know the Mapuche (and arguably Georgia) had some fairly large changes as well, and those two are next on the list. Unless I missed one, most of the other changes were fairly minor or moderate (such as a random +1 to a building like the Aztec's UB, changing a unique unit so it replaces a different generic one, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maya appears to be another civilization with considerable changes. Gaul indirectly got a large buff via the Man-at-Arms' existence. Aside from that, Gorgo's Hoplites are much more viable. Any game with Gorgo will likely have those Hoplites be the centerpiece of early warfare, which might change her playstyle a bit.

I don't know whereelse to ask this: I'm in medieval playing Australia and with each new city I found I receive a free builder regardless of continent. Did I forgot or miss any change here?
I don't run cards in that direction, neither do I have a believe for this or anything. I'm confused... :confused:

I don't know whereelse to ask this: I'm in medieval playing Australia and with each new city I found I receive a free builder regardless of continent. Did I forgot or miss any change here? I don't run cards in that direction, neither do I have a believe for this or anything. I'm confused... :confused:

Sounds like you have built Ancestral Hall.

I just started a new game as Poland and as part of Lithuanian Union the bonus to holy site adjacency has changed from the previous bonus for all districts to a major boost for encampments. This doesn't seem to be mentioned in the patch notes (or was it several patches ago and nobody on the internet has updated their references!), does anybody know the exact bonus you receive now?

I just started a new game as Poland and as part of Lithuanian Union the bonus to holy site adjacency has changed from the previous bonus for all districts to a major boost for encampments. This doesn't seem to be mentioned in the patch notes (or was it several patches ago and nobody on the internet has updated their references!), does anybody know the exact bonus you receive now?
The civ wiki mentions now that Holy Sites receive +1 adjacency from any district, when playing as Poland. I don't think that was spotted before.

Sounds like you have built Ancestral Hall.
*doh* - exactly! Thanks very much. I completely forgot. :crazyeye:

Btw, just had my first crash after the patch... Let's see if it was just a minor hiccup...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Poland was always that way?
I've actually never played Poland, so if it was always there I didn't know. :dunno:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Poland was always that way?
Yeah, I clawed that piece of information out of my brain's folders, and I can confirm this was always the case.

I checked and it says the same for me in the leader selection screen. In-game, however, it works exactly as it used to: Holy Sites receive full adjacency from districts. I suppose this might have been a change the developers were considering for Poland, before either changing it or forgetting to implement it in the final build. Can anyone confirm if any other leader or civilisation has information in the selection screen that does not match their actual abilities?

My cities now get loyalty problems, in a normal game, without eleanor. It happens due to nearby rival diplomat governers. There are no city states within 9 tiles of Faro. A lot of my cities in the border have this -22.

To me this is new. Does this happen because of the April patch? And why?

upload_2021-5-2_10-4-52.png

Top Bottom