Ashoka (Dhammaraja), World Renouncer / World Conqueror - Leader Discussion

*Ashoka, World Conqueror leader persona is part of the Sid Meier's Civilization® VII: Founders Content Pack DLC. The Founders Content Pack is included in Sid Meier's Civilization® VII Founders Edition. It is not included in the Standard or Deluxe Editions, but is available for separate purchase until February 28, 2028 (base game required).
Would I be wrong in reading this last part as them planning to package the Founders Content Pack (possibly other DLC down the line) into the Standard and/or Deluxe editions, or some other collection, of the game in 2028? They've really planned ahead if so, down to a specific date even, but that might just be a standard in the industry that we're normally not privy to.

We don't know the official name yet, but I'd be disappointed if they called antiquity Persia just Persia, and not Achaemenid Persia. The Iranian Civilization is one of the few civs that works perfectly well for the age system, as there are representatives in each of the ages.
They did just call it Persia in the video though. They could change it later with updates to the game.

Would I be wrong in reading this last part as them planning to package the Founders Content Pack (possibly other DLC down the line) into the Standard and/or Deluxe editions, or some other collection, of the game in 2028? They've really planned ahead if so, down to a specific date even, but that might just be a standard in the industry that we're normally not privy to.
Other places like the steam page, when talking about the Founder pack listed it as February 28, 2025. So maybe that 2028 was a typo?

I wish they had revealed Ashoka's alternate persona earlier. His Renouncer look is just fine, but that Conqueror outfit is downright resplendent!

We don't know the official name yet, but I'd be disappointed if they called antiquity Persia just Persia, and not Achaemenid Persia. The Iranian Civilization is one of the few civs that works perfectly well for the age system, as there are representatives in each of the ages.
If future Persias are not at launch. They could simply keep Persia just Persia for now and when they they add, they could easily add a Persian DLC that expands them into the different ages, renaming the preexisting one and possibly splitting some of the assets/content across the three ages.

Between Shawnee being pre-order DLC (correct?), and the new Ashoka being DLC, I’m kind of confused why optional DLC features are being marketed before base game elements?

Maybe I’m missing something or confused?
The Shawnee are a preorder bonus so it makes sense to show people what they're preordering; the Founder's and Deluxe packs will also be available at launch. It makes sense to me to show personae alongside their base version where relevant. (Also worth noting that so far everything we've seen except the Shawnee are related to base game content; I wouldn't expect actual DLC civs/leaders to be shown until later.)

If future Persias are not at launch. They could simply keep Persia just Persia for now and when they they add, they could easily add a Persian DLC that expands them into the different ages, renaming the preexisting one and possibly splitting some of the assets/content across the three ages.
The renaming part doesn't even need to be part of the dlc. And update released at the same time could change the civ name for everyone, albeit you need to buy the dlc to get the other persias.

But yes, the name just means that, for now, they're not thinking of adding more versions of Persia.

The Persian and Assyrian look on the Indian units feels wrong, sigh. On a positive note, that +10 combat strength on the World Conqueror persona of Ashoka seems strong.
persianunitsciv7.png

Last edited:
I hope there will be more than one Civ representing Iranian/Persian history one day. So much they could do, like Parthians, Sassanids, Safavids, etc.
I picture that as the development will go on, the Persian civilisation might get renamed to Achaemenid, allowing us to progress to other Iranian dynasties.

I certainly hope it will be the case. With the amount of artistic effort that went into individual cultures' buildings and units, I would really love to see some Qajar architecture adorning the map in the modern era one day.

Yes, I'm aware that the Qajar rulers were weak and inept and that their reign marked a great decline of Iran's international power. Here comes an advantage of the leader system - we could have the artistically beautiful Qajar Iran without a Qajar shah leading it :p

I picture that as the development will go on, the Persian civilisation might get renamed to Achaemenid, allowing us to progress to other Iranian dynasties.

I certainly hope it will be the case. With the amount of artistic effort that went into individual cultures' buildings and units, I would really love to see some Qajar architecture adorning the map in the modern era one day.

Yes, I'm aware that the Qajar rulers were weak and inept and that their reign marked a great decline of Iran's international power. Here comes an advantage of the leader system - we could have the artistically beautiful Qajar Iran without a Qajar shah leading it :p
It could be called Safavid and still have some Qajar architecture, just like current Persia is chiefly Achaemenid but has Sassanian elements like the commander.

That persona looks nice. The leader models have really improved.

I wasn’t a big fan of the personas in VI as it was too obvious they were added on (what with the non-voiced lines), but if they’re planned from the beginning I may warm up to them.
Ashoka World Destroyer definitely looks much better-thought-out than Civ6's personae, which, as you said, felt tacked on.

The Persian flag bearers beside the Commander might have the same look as the Immortals. A Greek Hoplite accompanies the Greek Commander earlier in the same video, where the Indians fight the Egyptians.

Here the Indian Phalanx looks Assyrian and the Indian Archers look Persian or Scythian. If the Phalanxes had Pagris on their heads and the Archers wore the same clothes as the Indian mahout or the Indian archer that is inside the howdah, then the accuracy of the Indian units would have been just as good as that of the Persians', in my opinion.
indianunitsciv7.png

Last edited:
It could be called Safavid and still have some Qajar architecture, just like current Persia is chiefly Achaemenid but has Sassanian elements like the commander.
I've been picturing the Safavids as the exploration era Iranian civilisation, actually. With Qizilbash UU, perhaps (with the modern era Iranian civ having the Zamburaks). The Safavid palace could be inspired in its look by Ali Qapu, and speaking of Ali Qapu, I think Naqsh-e Jahan would make an exquisite Safavid wonder.

I've been picturing the Safavids as the exploration era Iranian civilisation, actually. With Qizilbash UU, perhaps (with the modern era Iranian civ having the Zamburaks). The Safavid palace could be inspired in its look by Ali Qapu, and speaking of Ali Qapu, I think Naqsh-e Jahan would make an exquisite Safavid wonder.
Safavids are on the line, but as one of the major gunpowder empires they'd fit nicely in the Modern roster alongside Mughals and presumably Ottomans. I could see Medieval "Persia" at this point being Seljuqs since I've been disappointed in my Sassanid prediction.

Top Bottom