1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Car Nut - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Formaldehyde, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

According to this article, the reason the price is higher in Canada is due to the exchange rate.

The base price in Canada is $40K including freight. That works out to $30.8K US. So you are actually getting the car at a far better deal than the US.

And if you live in Ontaria, Quebec, or BC, you get a "strong incentive on top of that ($8.5K, $8K, $5K respectively).

It remains to be seen. But if the Volt is any indication, they should be getting better and better which shouldn't be a surprise. The technology continues to improve.

It is difficult to believe how much better GM has become since their resurrection from the dead. I thought they would succeed again if given the chance all along. But I didn't think they would be this much better than they were before.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, but doesn't make any real difference why to anyone in the country.

3. Samson

Samson Warlord

Has anyone ever worked out how to read engine management codes? It seems from a bit of a google you can buy a lead, and read them with a laptop and free software, or buy a dedicated device such as this. These plug into the OBD connector.

I have just bought a car (one of these, I quite like it) and every now and then the engine warning light starts flashing, about every 20 minutes for a few seconds. I think the only way to catch this is to have a device plugged in as I drive about.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Yeah they did. My school actually has an EV-1 in one of our buildings. They were sued by GM when GM recalled them all to scrap them but they worked out a deal wherein the school removed parts necessary to make the car operational in order to keep it.

I'm not going to watch any videos, but does the standard 2016 Volt come with amenities like a GPS and the ability to connect to a phone via blue tooth?

I'm really interested in electric cars but they cost too much and I don't have the ability to charge a pure-electric vehicle at my apartment with anything except a normal outlet.

5. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Most mechanics and some auto parts stores have the machines and the list of codes to determine what the error you're being given is.

6. Cutlass

:dunno: It must, with that in it.

7. Samson

Samson Warlord

There are 2 problems with this. One that a mechanic is likely to charge me more for one use of said machine than it cost to buy one myself, the other is that the problem is intermittent, the light only comes on for a few seconds sometimes when driving. I would have to drive about waiting for it to happen and because of Murphy's law you know it will refuse to do it when the mechanic is in the car.

I have gone for one of these. Only £7.55 delivered it is very cheap, and here someone said they have developed an app and it works on my particular car. I shall let you know how it works.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

what happened to Form?

9. Samson

Samson Warlord

So I was checking the oil level on my (female) friends '91 peugeot 307, and the bottom 2/3rds on the plastic bit (about 1 inch) of the dip stick fell off on the oil. This is what the whole thing looks like and it is bust at about the second notch.

Spoiler :

Is this serious? Should she deal with it or just live with the thing in the sump? The car is not worth very many hundred pounds.

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

it aint going nowhere, if you can measure the oil thats all you need...or a trip to a junkyard for a used dipstick

11. Cutlass

It's not going to do any harm. The oil pump can't suck it up to pump it to some place dangerous.