1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Car Nut - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Formaldehyde, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Actually, it isn't inconsistent at all. One of the reasons why pickup trucks and SUVs are so popular in the US is because they are considered to be commercial vehicles and do not have to meet the safety standards for passenger cars. This makes them less expensive to produce.

Heh. A modern day El Camino with a covered bed. That might sell fairly well in the US.

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Only to the extent that few people want something like that here, so we don't bother building them. The Subaru Brat has some sales, but not that much. I thin VW used to market something like that as well.

I don't know how much that lowers price, but I'd have a hard time seeing it lowering it that much. Particularly since SUVs and most versions of pickups cost more than similar cars.

What changed the market to SUVs was extremely heavy advertising to convince people that they "needed" them and that they were "cool". A created belief that the SUVs were safer because they were bigger and had 4wd. But people pay through the nose to get them. Now for the automaker the high sale price is a major selling point because high end vehicles have a bigger profit.

3. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

Yeah, I always thought it would sell better than the shamefully detuned Holden Monaro rebadged into a Pontiac GTO for the American market. I think it would have been popular. The hard top by the way is optional and many of them have a torneaux cover instead. They are very popular with tradesmen.

Plus, you get the credibility of being to say you own this

@Cutlass.....Few people would want it?? From the home of the muscle car?? For shame Cutlass, for shame. I assure you that VW never released a pick up truck with 6.2 god damn liters of American muscle under the hood (we import the block from you fine people)

4. Cutlass

Well, I just looked at the picture, not read the size of the thing. My bad there. :p But as Formy mentioned, that's a lot like what the El Camino was. And that was a popular body for something like 30 years. But was eventually overtaken by the compact pickup trucks. They just lost too many sales eventually. And they were in fact available with muscle engines, 5.7l V8s being very common in them. And 7.4l V8s being available for a number of year.

Of course, this is America, so we rightfully say 350 and 454cid :p

5. Formaldehyde

It has made a radical difference in the cost of smaller pickups in particular. The first pickups weren't even crash tested until 2010.

Watch this 2008 video that shows how typically unsafe many pickup truck made in the US actually were. Fortunately this seems to now be changing with the new laws that require crash testing.

You can still buy a basic full-sized pickup truck with no options for less than $20K. Of course, most pickup trucks and SUVs have become much more upscale of late which has drastically increased their cost.

6. Cutlass

But people don't want a pickup with vinyl seats and no AC any more than they want a car that way, unless it's a utilitarian work vehicle. And if cost alone was the object, then a base subcompact is just as cheap.

7. Formaldehyde

I don't think there is a truck produced in the US with no AC, and I can't imagine that cloth seats cost all that much more. But now that pickup trucks and SUVs are being subjected to crash tests and must pass similar standards to passenger vehicles, it really isn't much of an issue anymore.

8. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Moderator

I read Lawrence Ulrich's review of the 2013 Porsche Baxter in yesterday's New York Times. It mentioned magnetic fluid filled transmission mounts.

That's so cool! I just wonder hoping until we start to see that stuff being incorporated in non-luxury goods...

9. Formaldehyde

There is no doubt that Porsche is extremely innovative. It usually doesn't take that long for other vendors to incorporate their ideas depending upon how much Porsche will want for the use of the patent, or how easy it is to come up with a similar design that doesn't violate it. At least now that likely means they will be appearing in performance-oriented VW cars in the near future.

The new Boxster is really cool. My next car will quite likely be a used one, but I can already see myself upgrading it to a 2013+ in the future.

Link to video.

10. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

LOL is it safe to drive with the steering wheel on the wrong side, or is that a trainer variant with a steering wheel on both sides?

About the Western Europeans surpassing Americans in "passenger vehicle" ownership, I'd really wonder how liberal they classified that term if Italy is number one. I'd be more impressed with the weight of those vehicles per capita than number owned per capita.

11. Formaldehyde

Are you referring to the Boxster video above? There is only one steering wheel.

12. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Is the Eagle E-type the prettiest car you ever saw?

13. Formaldehyde

I owned a 3.8L E-type coupe for a brief period, and I certainly wish I still did so. And Jeremy Clarkson agrees with your opinion regarding the Eagle Speedster:

Link to video.

But half a million pounds? I'd take a Ferrari F40 instead, or a number of other modern cars like the Ferrari 458 or the Porsche Carrera GT. But if money was no object and I had 10-12 cars, it would likely find a home in my garage.

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Hmm, I have been properly brainwashed by Top Gear on account of having seen every episode about 10 times, so that's why it pops up in my head as the prettiest car ever. ;)

But damn, it is good-looking.

15. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Moderator

Has anyone tried the thing where you dope your gasoline with touch of acetone?

16. Formaldehyde

According to Snopes, it does nothing to increase gas mileage. And it will eat the paint off the side of your car if you aren't extremely careful, as well as dissolve rubber fuel hoses.

If there was some reasonable way to drastically improve gas mileage, I'm sure someone would be selling it on national TV.

17. Cutlass

18. Formaldehyde

I haven't seen one yet, but there was a glowing article about it in Autoweek recently. Here's a good video driver review by them:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120501/CARREVIEWS/120509987

It reminds me of the Dodge Neon, which turned out to be a great car that did extremely well autocrossing and racing for many years.

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities:

Link to video.

Automobile: First Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart

But it is apparently quite a bit bigger than the Neon:

It sounds like a winner in the less than $20K sedan class, at least if you don't need a lot of trunk space.

19. Formaldehyde

Some 9-year-olds are more equal than others.

Link to video.

Indian man arrested for letting 9-year-old son drive his Ferrari

20. Formaldehyde

Sad news everyone. Two-thirds of all the McLaren P1s have already been sold, and they have 500 "hot prospects" for the remaining 125.

Top Gear: Inside the McLaren P1: part one

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.