Ask a Mormon, Part 4

Can one "sip" a hot drink? One will be burned if one drinks a hot drink. I think that luke warm is the Biblical "sin". I prefer my drink that way, since it will not burn me.

Was hot cocoa around then Plotinus?

Can one "sip" a hot drink? One will be burned if one drinks a hot drink. I think that luke warm is the Biblical "sin". I prefer my drink that way, since it will not burn me.

"Hot" doesn't refer to temperature.

Was hot cocoa around then Plotinus?

Around when? Chocolate is native to the New World and wouldn't be known to the authors of the Bible, but the Word of Wisdom is a modern revelation.

"Hot" doesn't refer to temperature.

Around when? Chocolate is native to the New World and wouldn't be known to the authors of the Bible, but the Word of Wisdom is a modern revelation.

No, tea and coffee were the only drinks of a certain temperature in those days. To be a great leader one should know what he was interpreting. Seems to me, alchohol and tobacco are self evident, but making a play on words "strong drink" and "hot drink" is just foolishness. Mr. Smith with all due respect should have used a little more wisdom in describing the "sins" of the day. In his usage it did mean temperature and I am pretty sure that is why he used it.

I am pretty sure that caffeine is found in most tea, coffee, and cocoa when they are both hot and cold. If caffeine was the ends, his means did not convey that, and why would it be ok to drink cold caffeine and not ok to drink hot caffeine other than one is palatable and the other will burn the heck out of your mouth and anything else it touches until it reaches an even temperature in one's body.

So you are right in that it does not refer to temperature, but Mr. Smith was wrong in using temperature to describe the "sin".

Edit: It does hurt less when sipped, and his intention was not to "over" do it. So sipping would also not be "over" doing it, but doing it in moderation. Drinking it cold should also be done in moderation, or not at all either. It is funny that now the term "cold" one may be used for a beer? "Neither a cold drink nor a hot drink are proper for one's body." in modern day translation?

If caffeine was the ends, his means did not convey that, and why would it be ok to drink cold caffeine and not ok to drink hot caffeine other than one is palatable and the other will burn the heck out of your mouth and anything else it touches until it reaches an even temperature in one's body.

It wasn't - and people who needed to know what he meant, knew what he meant.

That's actually exactly correct - which is a minor miracle, as almost every non-Mormon I know (including official sources like news stories and the like) just say "caffeine is prohibited".

Anyways, the Word of Wisdom - canonized scripture, which was given as a revelation to Joseph Smith - specifically forbids "hot drink" but doesn't define it. Later prophets have said that this means coffee (caffeinated or not) and leaf (ie, non-herbal) tea. This is partly for health reasons, and partly because learning to be obedient in the small things helps one to be obedient in the large things.

So, is it a sin to drink coffee or tea, or is it merely a regulation that you're kinda recommended to follow? And how big a deal is it? Is a Mormon soul going to be in big trouble if he decides to drink some coffee or tea?

Also, I know Mormons don't follow solely the Bible, but I do know Jesus said "Its not what goes into the mouth, but what goes out of it that matters" and Jesus also certainly drank wine (IIRC Alcohol is banned as well.) Do Mormons ignore those passages, merely claim they weren't translated correctly, or challenge the standard interpretation of those texts?

I don't really think not following the WoW is a "sin", per se, if you aren't LDS. It is required if you're an active mormon though...not observing LDS food law means you cannot hold a temple recommend, and you may not be able to hold a calling.

Chocolate was originally consumed as a hot drink very similar to coffee, with no sweeteners. I don't know that hot chocolate was particularly popular during the 19th century though.

I don't really think not following the WoW is a "sin", per se, if you aren't LDS. It is required if you're an active mormon though...not observing LDS food law means you cannot hold a temple recommend, and you may not be able to hold a calling.

Side Question: Do the LDS teach that being in the LDS church is best for everyone? Or do they think some people are better off in other churches during this life?

What is a temple recommend?

And do you have comments on that quote from the gospels that I provided above?

Side Question: Do the LDS teach that being in the LDS church is best for everyone? Or do they think some people are better off in other churches during this life?

What is a temple recommend?

And do you have comments on that quote from the gospels that I provided above?

Yes, we believe that the LDS church is the most correct church, and one will be brought closer to God, and be happiest, by being a part of it. We don't think that other churches are bad, just that we're right.

A Temple Recommend is a card you carry in your wallet that is required to gain entrance to the temple, and for certain LDS callings. it's basically a statement of worthiness...you interview a church authority every two years, and they make sure you're still a Mormon. One of the questions is about WoW compliance.

As for the quotes, I certainly believe that Christ drank wine. I don't think there is anything particularly evil about booze. I only know that God has asked us (Mormons) to not drink it, so I won't.

Yes, we believe that the LDS church is the most correct church, and one will be brought closer to God, and be happiest, by being a part of it. We don't think that other churches are bad, just that we're right.

Makes sense.

So do you think that people can grow close to God outside of the Mormon Church, even if less easily?

A Temple Recommend is a card you carry in your wallet that is required to gain entrance to the temple, and for certain LDS callings. it's basically a statement of worthiness...you interview a church authority every two years, and they make sure you're still a Mormon. One of the questions is about WoW compliance.

Cool, I never knew this.

Is there any difference between an LDS church and an LDS Temple?

Also, what happens if you lie on that question? What kind of penalties will be incurred, either in this life or the life to come? Also, if you decide to drink tea one day do you automatically lose your Mormon membership, or do you have to be unrepentant as well?

As for the quotes, I certainly believe that Christ drank wine. I don't think there is anything particularly evil about booze. I only know that God has asked us (Mormons) to not drink it, so I won't.

Why would God have no problem with his Son and closest disciples drinking something, but he has a problem with his church drinking?

Also, how do Mormons do communion, if at all?

So do you think that people can grow close to God outside of the Mormon Church, even if less easily?

Of course they can.

Is there any difference between an LDS church and an LDS Temple?

Churches, or meetinghouses, are where we hold our weekly services and other things - just churches. Anyone is welcome to be a part of anything we do there.

Temples are for particular rituals, and there are roughly 130 worldwide. You need to be a member in good standing to go to one.

Also, what happens if you lie on that question? What kind of penalties will be incurred, either in this life or the life to come?

Well, it's basically hypocrisy, and lying to God. You might get away with it in this life, but it's not exactly the sort of thing that would bring you closer to God.

Also, if you decide to drink tea one day do you automatically lose your Mormon membership, or do you have to be unrepentant as well?

Few sins lead to excommunication - but any sin, if you are unrepentant about it, can lead that way. Drinking tea would (for us) be like lying, or being rude, or something.

Why would God have no problem with his Son and closest disciples drinking something, but he has a problem with his church drinking?

God has given different rules to His people at different times. As we live in an era of municipal water treatment and understanding of the germ theory, we have access to many more beverages besides booze that we can drink without getting sick.

Also, how do Mormons do communion, if at all?

We call it "sacrament", and it is the key part of our weekly meetings. It is prepared and administered by Aaronic priesthood holders (young men, usually) and consists of two parts - bread, and water. These are put in small trays and passed out to the congregation after a prayer is said over them, first the bread, then the water.

I'm still waiting for a Mormon who is honest enough to publicly admit the supposedly mystical qualities and protections wearing their magic underpants are supposed to grant. These mystical magic underpants have been extremely well documented but members of the cult seem to not want to talk about them with noncult members.

Moderator Action: Trolling
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Is there actually such a thing as "Mormon conventions" out there?

Is there actually such a thing as "Mormon conventions" out there?

Out where?

We have lots of meetings, in lots of types and scales, from three people to the entire worldwide church, but they aren't really "conventions" in the typical sense.

I just put out there so I didn't need to end with quotation marks and a period. ;)

Anyway, my friend said something about going to a Mormon convention or something, but he might have just been joking.

How close to the truth comes the Southpark episode "All About Mormons" and how was it received among mormons?
I understand that the scientology episode was 100% accurate and outraged that so called church.

Top Bottom