1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Young Earth Creationist.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by classical_hero, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Why does God try to trick us by creating rocks that are millions of years old when we are only 6,000 yrs. old?

Would you mind playing a trick back on God and pretend you actually follow him even though you've never heard, seen, touched, tasted, nor smelled him?

2. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I'm kind of disappointed that this has turned into such a one-sided gangbang. I was really hoping for an answer. :sad:

3. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Its because you guys are unfairly interrogating for his beliefs.

If you wanted a real answer you people shouldnt of asked questions in such a harsh manner.

4. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Sometimes, a belief is so ridiculous, you can't pose questions with a straight face.

5. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

Yeah, is he ever going to look at his own thread? I mean we can keep going without him, but it wouldn't really be fair...

6. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

Well, to be fair the thread title is "ask a YEC". Nowhere in there did it say that he must reply, especially when the evidence mounts against him.

7. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Assuming that "Ma" above means mega-annum, this is wrong for multiple reasons, one of which I will outline.

Wikipedia:
    "Potassium-argon or K-Ar dating is a geochronological method used in many geoscience disciplines. It is based on measuring the products of the radioactive decay of potassium (K), which is a common element found in materials such as micas, clay minerals, tephra and evaporites.

Potassium (K) exists in 3 isotopes - 39K (93.2581%), 40K (0.0117%), 41K (6.7302%).

The radioactive isotope 40K decays to 40Ar and 40Ca with a half-life of 1.26x109 years. 40Ca is the most common form of Ca, however, so the increase in abundance due to K decay results in a negligible increase in total abundance making it less useful as a geochronometer. The 40Ar isotope is much less abundant however, and is therefore a more useful isotope."

The short version: The half-life is on the 10^9 scale. The error above is on the 10^6 scale. Invoking "basalts, xenoliths and xenocrysts" is irrelevent to the fact that the above quote (again, if Ma means mega-annum) is analogous to measuring a person's height by driving a car across his length and looking at the odometer.

8. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

In which case you should stay silent. I thought the moderator made that clear.

How do you explain the flood? I gather that it was a catastrophic event, from conditions that no longer pertain, but could you be more specific?

J

9. Ball Lightning

Ball Lightning www.sporedum.net

10. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Ginormous tsunami. Back in the day after the ice age, glaciers were breaking off and moving, and those create the mega-tsunamis, large enough to cause the flood.

11. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

Really?

Argon-40 represents 99.6% of the planet's argon.

I swore I'd never get into one of these threads...

12. penvzila

penvzila Prince

Young Earth Creationism is typically covered in an introductory philosophy class like Critical Thinking, or Science & Pseudoscience. It's just not an intellectually honest position, and there's not much to do but poke fun at it.

13. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Just because they might add information, but it is not adding new or better information. One of the most widely used examples is the Hox Gene, but that is just duplication not adding new info, which is what is required, For evolution to be true then any mutation must add new information, but that just does not happen. All we see is when we have a genetic duplication that normally does not happen, at best the mutation is useless but at worst the mutation is harmful. The only types of mutations that are beneficial are those that lose some information.
    It is amazing what people can believe when they truly believe in what they believe to be true, they will fight to show what they believe. Also often the peer presure does play a role in society, even in the Scientific community. There have been cases in the past when prevailing Scientific thought has been totally wrong.
    1. Well after the Flood the conditions of the earth were way different than what they are now. We are talking about a catastrophic conditions.
    The Ice Age and the Genesis Flood
    2. About the Koala. It is quite strange that they are mostly eating a plant that is very combustable for a slow moving animal. If this is the result of Evolution, then Evolution is not good.
    Flamin Koalas/Keeping up Standards.
    Cuddly cold-cures counter critics
    You can see that there are good explanations as to why Koalas exist only in Australia adn their special diet.

To the other animals, how many times must I say that took a boat to South America. You also are assuming that the world has always stayed the same, or are assuming that we believe that the earth has stayed the same as it is right now. One being that the earth was once together and that as a result of the catastrophic tectonic changes that the continents quickly grew apart. ALso you forget that animals can migrate wia being stow aways with humans.

14. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Sorry, I thought you were teasing the first time. I've never heard about animals taking a boat to South America. Could you expound a bit on what you mean, because I'm totally unfamiliar with this theory?

And you're also suggesting that continental drift was vastly accelerated ~4000 years ago, but has slowed down?
    ??? You're suggesting that their current diet is a disadvantage to them, I think. If they could have survived elsewhere, we'd expect for Koalas to be thriving elsewhere, and (meanwhile) we'd have the stoner Koalas in Austrailia, too, not doing nearly as well.

But, there's no reason to focus on the Koalas; they're just one of a thousand species that I'm interested in. I think your boat theory is the important one for me to understand. I'm not sure how penguins sailed to Antarctica.

15. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Never this wrong. Remember classical, you're uprooting physics, astronomy, bioogy, and geology all at once from multiple different sides. You're basicly saying everything (or at least a massive chunk) the scientific community is wrong and this is based on the disrepsected research of a few researchers outside of the esatablished scientific system.

16. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

It's one sided, because the only contradictory evidence comes from people who really don't have any formal training or know what they are talking about, suffice to say there evidence is taken and destroyed scientifically, over and over and over again.

It doesn't matter though, to expect a YEC to actually do some real scientific research is to lose a YEC, which is partly why they don't do it. Look at the web sites quoted? All by non scientists(or those such as Hovind with mickey mouse qualifications from the creationist university of x) All by laymen. All easily destroyed. Do you know how many YEC scientists there are? Very few, and I mean very few. Science is there biggest fear. Because with rationality and truth and scientific method comes doubt about something that isn't even a widespread belief amongst Christians in general.

The fact is these people are brought up on a fantasy - and are loathe to actually learn something about the subject at hand, usually isolated deliberately from science, relying on there community to fill in the blanks with what are essentially lies and misinformation - is sad. You want an answer? You have one, there is nothing even remotely scientific about YEC, nor will there ever be without resorting to science, peer reviewed papers, which they are so loathe to do. Study science learn about it, then comment. If your going to convince anyone but the brainwashed who are force fed this from birth, you need to do something other than publish crackpottery. It's only convincing yourselves.

17. ironduck

ironduck Deity

I'm still waiting for replies to post 57.

18. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Unfortunately I have been busy at work and now I am sick. I will try and get to answer as many question as soon as possible, but things have conspired against me so far. That is what happens living in this fallen world we live in. I wish I could do better, sorry about that.

19. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Just as a minor thing, I am curious to your opinion on post #100, you seemed to skip it.

20. GoldEagle

GoldEagle Deity of All Drummers

Sorry to jump in here, but I have a quick question:
    Read 1 Timothy 2:11-12

Do you believe that women should not question their husbands then? Do you believe that women are not aloud to teach the word of God? What do you think about Angela Merkel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.