Bill O'Reilly Defends Ellen Degeneres

It's true, the world ends in 2012! :eek:

Something along the lines of "homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to work at JCPenney" anti-gay.

Yeah... why?

I'm not in favor of the homosexual lifestyle but gay people are still people and.... I really don't see what working at JCPenney has to do with gayness at all. A person can work right? Whatever their lifestyle?

I think most people here would consider me a social conservative (indeed some people here probably think I'm a social philistine) and I agree with Bill O'Reilly here even though I don't like him.

What's a social Philistine?

I guess its an expression.

And civ_king, you're not that socially conservative. Have we SEEN Jehoshua lately?;)

What the hell is a "homosexual lifestyle"? I never realised I was living a "Gay lifestyle".

Well gays still buy stuff from companies, so I dunno if there's a conflict.

Yeah... why?

I'm not in favor of the homosexual lifestyle but gay people are still people and.... I really don't see what working at JCPenney has to do with gayness at all. A person can work right? Whatever their lifestyle?

I guess its an expression.

And civ_king, you're not that socially conservative. Have we SEEN Jehoshua lately?;)
The "homosexual lifestyle" or "gay lifestyle" is a fairly dated stereotype, there are some respectable gays who aren't promiscuous (I did however see a study that made me ROTFLOL because it showed that "lesbians" are three times as likely as heterosexual women, exclusively WSM, to sleep with at least 50 different men in their life! Study was about sexual diseases in women)

I'm not a fan of the religious fundamentalist lifestyle either, but I don't go round calling it that at every opportunity.

A homophobic term used to by homophobs when they don't want to sound like homophobs.

I don't think that is quite right. I think the entire disagreement is whether or not homosexuality is a sin/choice. This is where disagreements start. If you are inclined to believe it is a sin/choice, then identifying a "homosexual lifestyle" is fair, like identifying a "criminal lifestyle" or whatever.

Of course, I don't think it is a sin or choice, so to me, on the surface, this does sound purely bigoted. But it isn't the comment that is bigoted, but the premise on which it is derived.

If you are gay, then you live a gay lifestyle. If you are Christian, you live a Christian lifestyle. If you are vegetarian, you live a vegetarian lifestyle. Etc., etc., etc...

It doesn't mean anything really.

If it didn't mean anything, there would be no reason for so many to say it so often. I never hear people talking about a "heterosexual lifestyle." All of your examples are choices, and THAT is the difference.

Tell us more about the "Gay Lifestyle", Save_Ferris.

If you are gay, then you live a gay lifestyle. If you are Christian, you live a Christian lifestyle. If you are vegetarian, you live a vegetarian lifestyle. Etc., etc., etc...

I have never ever ever heard any Christian referred to as living a "Christian lifestyle." Likewise, I haven't often seen straight people referred to as living a "straight lifestyle."

The usage of the term is specifically to isolate the situation of gay people to a "lifestyle choice" that they can abandon as readily as their clothes or faith. It is meant to reduce any sympathy otherwise decent people might have for an oppressed minority by implicating that they have brought it on themselves.

And it is utterly despicable for that reason.

I've heard some Christians refer to their faith as a "lifestyle." Usually, it's only in the attempt to make their 2000 year old death cult seem more relevant to the modern world. So yeah, the definition seems pretty hollow.

Not at all. The term "gay lifestyle" creates a separation between homosexuals and the rest of society as if there were a real difference besides sexual preference. You can hardly call sexual preference a lifestyle because it does not require any actions that can resemble that of any other homosexual or any other person for that matter besides that preference. Therefore, it is just as unfair to use the term "gay lifestyle" as it would be to claim the existence of a "black lifestyle". Because making the assumption that blacks live in a different fashion than anyone else would be a gross generalization of habit with no basis, the term cannot exist. The same is true for "gay lifestyle". Christians use it because it sounds less hateful than simply saying "I'm not in favor of gays" but they keep that original message intact.

Something along the lines of "homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to work at JCPenney" anti-gay.
That is rather silly. Gay people are better at fasion then straight people. I mean, if I had to decide which tie I looked better in, I would probably ask a gay guy over a straight one.

When I heard that Bill O'Reilly was defending a gay person, my jaw dropped to the floor. Godwynn opened up the door. Everybody walk the dinosaur.

Tell us more about the "Gay Lifestyle"
From what I've been able to gather, it involves singing, choreographed dancing, & jazz hands, very likely raising an Asian daughter together, being 1/6th of any modern ensemble comedy, & occasionally shaving your partner's chest hair & convincing him he would be a better king than his brother while bathing together.

Then again, I do watch a lot of television.

You forgot the impeccable fashion sense.

Top Bottom