1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill O'Reilly Defends Ellen Degeneres

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IdiotsOpposite, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

What's wrong with bacon eater's lifestyle? If you eat bacon regularly, and so do other people, I don't see the problem with calling it a lifestyle.

What you seem to think is that it isn't correct because the descriptor covers a wide and diverse population of people. What you don't seem to get is, of course it does. With only one thing being described as a "lifestyle" at a time, it's going to cover a lot of people, since a lot of people will do this one action, or have this one interest, regularly. And there's nothing wrong with that. If you eat bacon regularly (I have no doubt you do), then there's nothing wrong with calling what you're doing a "bacon eater's lifestyle". And since that lifestyle is only concerned with bacon, of course you're going to get a wide population of people, very different from you. But, you all share one element in common, and that is you eat bacon regularly, and hence live the "lifestyle".

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

How useful is that descriptor? "The bacon eaters' lifestyle".. So what does that say about me? What sort of lifestyle *do* I lead?

You have *no* idea. If it was an actual lifestyle you'd be able to deduce things about me just by hearing "This guy leads a bacon eaters' lifestyle". But you got nothin. All you can say is "This guy eats bacon sometimes" which renders the word "lifestyle" in "the bacon eaters' lifestyle" useless.

If somebody said "Yeah, that guy totally leads an athlete's lifestyle", that tells you TONS. It's a useful descriptor and a good use of the "lifestyle" tag. That *is* a lifestyle. Eating bacon from time to time isn't.

3. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Of course the descriptor isn't very good at describing an entire person's lifestyle.

But it does a good job of describing that one aspect.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's not what a lifestyle is. A lifestyle encompasses a wide array of philosophies, intents, and actions, not just one thing.

That's why we call it a lifestyle in the first place. "Oh, he leads a marathon runner's lifestyle? That means ____, and ____, and maybe ____, and probably _____" That's a lifestyle.

If you're just using it to describe ONE thing, that's not a lifestyle. Just say "That guy does that thing"; calling it a lifestyle doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Here's what wikipedia has to say about the word lifestyle

It's a set of things. It's a word that encompasses not only that person's outlook and attitudes, but also behaviour, personal identity, etc.

It obviously doesn't apply to "occasionally eating bacon" and by extension to sexual orientation.

6. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Only as much as a plain-old adjective would.

7. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

So, in what way does the gay lifestyle differ from the heterosexual lifestyle?

Do they get up on the other side of the bed? Drink their coffee with milk and sugar, instead of just sugar like real manly men do?

Illuminate me.

8. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Chieftain

Well Ziggy, it basically boils down to this:

Spoiler :

9. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

The use of the "f" word in that comic reminds me of a few tirades in the letters section of the newspaper bemoaning the appropriation of the term "gay" by homosexuals , and how among all their sins they had also stolen this word .

A gay guy replied that he would agree to cease describing himself as gay on the condition that in turn they would recommence the correct practice of using the term ("f" auto censored unfairly as I'm using it correctly) to describe a bundle of sticks

10. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I think it's supposed to go something like this:

Link to video.

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

By that logic, I could say that you have a "ballpoint pen-user's lifestyle". It's a retreat into absurdity.

12. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

13. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Well yeah it's absurd.

Doesn't really mean it's wrong though.

(and it isn't too far off either, I use ballpoint pens for everything :love:)

14. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It's either inconsistent with how the concept of "lifestyle" is properly employed, in which case it is wrong, or the concept of "lifestyle" is itself an absurd and unhelpful mess, in which case it should be abandoned. So there's no real winning here. :dunno:

15. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

Violation of a few (many) federal laws on anti-discrimination anti-gay