Brexit Thread V - The Final Countdown?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TUC is presumably Trade Union Congress but what is CBI? Apologies for asking, but that FT article is behind a paywall for me.

Sorry, I've linked to the Guardian instead. CBI is Confederation of British Industry, not usually best friends of the TUC.

edit: Thats an odd paywall. It let me read it after answering a short survey first of all, but if I go back now I get the paywall too.

Ah, so would the US equivalent of that be the Chamber of Commerce?

Possibly?
We have British Chambers of Commerce which mainly represents small to medium-sized businesses, CBI which is big business, and Institute of Directors which is also big business but politically more right-wing. Atm they all just want a deal, any deal except No Deal.

The Chamber of Commerce in the US was founded explicitly in reaction to the labor movement so I think it's kind of a big-tent for all capitalist lobbying. Obviously there are plenty of other business-oriented, right-wing lobbying groups. One of the worst is AEI, American Enterprise Institute, which in addition to peddling nonsense "free market economics" also hires race realists like Charles Murray. They're headquartered about five blocks or so from where I work.

What would be the point of an even longer extension in the event of May's deal (somehow) getting approved this time?

2.2 m have now voted to in the petition to stop bexit.
It was at nearly 2.5 million when I signed it at 9 am this morning — though it took several minutes for the email to arrive so that I could confirm my signature.

Apparently the petition-page actually crashed yesterday, due to the sudden spike in traffic.
They're headquartered about five blocks or so from where I work.
So ... not too far to walk, then — when the Revolution comes...? ;)

As the countdown has been reset back by 14 days, the thread title minght be better renamed:

Brexit Thread V - The Not So Final Countdown?!?

I suppose I should tell the agency to send the cancellation charge,
for the giant cake and jump out dancing girl, to number ten.

The situation right now is exactly why there are two question marks in the thread title.

We have a clear distinction between the Employers Association and the Chamber of Commerce.
That CBI would be like our Employers Association.

The Chamber of Commerce has a Council structure, is under control of the Minister of Economy, does the registrations of companies according to law and gathers statistics, produces reports as advice to the Minister, and functions as a information platform which is especially important for small companies who have not the overhead for all kinds of legal, governmental, environmental, innovation subsidies, etc. Any Service by them is sold for small fees (at cost price).
For example if I want to know who owns a company, I can input their Chamber of Commerce registration Nr and get for a couple of Euro all by law obligated registration info.
If a small company needs legal advice he pays a small sum for a general adviser (no lawyer) or a still low tarif for a real law advice from employees who studied law. All kinds of contracts possible to reduce that tariff.
Innovation is the hottest function of the moment using the base structure all kinds of small scale regional information events. That structure is also used to inform companies on new laws and regulations, and recently for informing companies with Brexit effects, including info on subsidies to deal with it.

So the petition against Brexit has now hit 3.5 million signatures. For those sane souls in the world - go sign it if you have not done so already. 2 days ago it was 14,000. Yesterday morning it was 40,000. And since then it has crashed the website multiple times due to the traffic. But 3.5 million is quite a number. I expect it will be the most voted petition in UK history. And will it make a difference? God knows. But i would hazard a guess at no :(

So the petition against Brexit has now hit 3.5 million signatures. For those sane souls in the world - go sign it if you have not done so already. 2 days ago it was 14,000. Yesterday morning it was 40,000. And since then it has crashed the website multiple times due to the traffic. But 3.5 million is quite a number. I expect it will be the most voted petition in UK history. And will it make a difference? God knows. But i would hazard a guess at no :(

There is nothing wrong with losing in a good spirit when you did your best for that minimal chance you had :)
It is like a small minority protest, just having done your thing, feeling together... showing your own opinion, but not lonely alone.
And who knows how the ball rolls.

There is nothing wrong with losing in a good spirit when you did your best for that minimal chance you had :)
It is like a small minority protest, just having done your thing, feeling together... showing your own opinion, but not lonely alone.
And who knows how the ball rolls.

A lot of my friends back home are hard Brexiteers. I have been doing my best on social media to try and convince those who are sitting on the fence. It all really boils down to "the haves" vs "the have nots". Also, the warning signs were there. It should have been a cause of national outrage that UKIP polled more votes than both the SNP and the Lib Dems and yet only returned 1 MP compared to the others 60 odd. So all those millions were disenfranchised and felt ignored. And people who are disenfranchised and annoyed can come back to bite you in a most unpleasant way. I think France is suffering similar pains in their yellow vest movement. Politics is broken in the UK. I can see real trouble on the horizon. And both major parties are largely to blame. It has stopped being about doing whats in the national interest. And for the tories its about satisfying their hardliner Brexiteers. And for Labour its about allowing the tories to implode over Brexit so they can rule over the ashes.

If the Article 50 petition gets 800,000 more signatures, then it will pass the the 4.15 million signatures on the 2016 referendum petition.

Also, I'd totally forgotten that the Brexit threads have been running to roughly two and a half thousand posts (give or take a few hundred). The most recent milestone was #2750 (Hrothbern) and the author of #2500 was Innonimatu. Would either of you like to start Brexit Thread VI?

Would either of you like to start Brexit Thread VI?
And can the title be 'Gaaaads, please, just make it stop already!!!'

If the Article 50 petition gets 800,000 more signatures, then it will pass the the 4.15 million signatures on the 2016 referendum petition.

Also, I'd totally forgotten that the Brexit threads have been running to roughly two and a half thousand posts (give or take a few hundred). The most recent milestone was #2750 (Hrothbern) and the author of #2500 was Innonimatu. Would either of you like to start Brexit Thread VI?

I'll do it

Well, get cracking then. :)

It all really boils down to "the haves" vs "the have nots".
According to Ipsos Mori, 41% of voters in socioeconomic classes AB voted Leave, while 36% of people in classes DE voted Remain. There's even less of a clear class line if you introduce age: over 55s in classes AB returned 52% for Leave, while under 35s in class DE returned 56% for Remain.

Socioeconomic status is a factor, but it appears secondary to age and education, so can't clearly be broken down into class divisions.

It should have been a cause of national outrage that UKIP polled more votes than both the SNP and the Lib Dems and yet only returned 1 MP compared to the others 60 odd. So all those millions were disenfranchised and felt ignored.
Did people vote for UKIP expecting them to get elected? They tended to poll highest in safe seats but do poorly in competitive seats, and were very generally understood as a protest vote.

Last edited:
Moderator Action: The new thread is here. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom