Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

I am an idiot. When I see Civ V priced at $49.99, I think I actually believe it costs me approximately $40, not approximately $50. When I see Civ V Deluxe priced at $59.99, I actually believe it costs me approximately $50, not approximately $60.

I am an idiot. When I see Civ V requiring steam, I think I understand that I am being protected from pirating of the software that ultimately raises the cost of the game keeping its price at $49.99/$59.99, therefore saving me money. I don't think it gives a larger bottom line for Firaxis/2k.

I am an idiot. I can't wait to buy Leonardo's Workshop for my Civ 5 game to upgrade all of my units cheaper. Will that be part of the deluxe 4 or deluxe 5 upgrade and how much is that going to cost me?

I am an idiot. I will be the first to say I don't know a thing about steam and didn't hear about it until this thread came out. I do instantly know that I don't like it. It annoys me in the same way that it annoys me that my mother and father (both age 65) still use AOL mail and an AOL browser. I realize that I don't know the first thing about steam, but it sounds like it regulates things the same way that AOL does. I guess I will wait until 2015 and buy Civ V for 10 bucks and all 13 upgrades for 10 cents apiece.

:stupid::agree::high5:

Good post.

DLC? great way to annoy tons of addicted fans here at civfanatics. Well, I surely will wait for a while this time to buy the game. the first few weeks will be the bug ridden days anyway. Civ hasn't come out semi-finished since Civ 3 and why should it be any different this time. Hopefully by then, it's easier to assess whether this steam concept is wroking.

But $10 for one Civ? No way in hell :D

Steam: Never again.

The first and only time I used Steam was with Dawn of War II. I ended-up having to slick my hard-drive and reinstall everything. :badcomp:

I do too much important stuff on my PC to risk losing it all over god-damned Steam.

So no, Sid Meier, I will not be buying this version of Civ even though I've been a fan since 1991.

I need to build me a DOS box so I can play cool games like Railroad Tycoon (1), Covert Action, Civ (1), TIE Fighter.

What really makes me sad is knowing that once Civ 5 comes out that's all that will ever be discussed on this site. I hope that's not the case.

Hi all,

as you can see on my post counter I'am more of a lurker than a poster.
I've got every civ game I played as retail version. I didn't know Steam and so I've got on the side and looked what it takes to open an account, which only seems to be a valid email adress.

Here is my opinion:

The point is not that you'll can buy Civ V on Steam, there will be more distribution ways.
The point is not that you'll have to register the game online during the installation, this sadly is a defacto standard in games today.

The point is that, in order to play a offlinegame you bougth, you'll have to create an online account by a 3td-party firm, where you'll have to sign a subscriber agreement, which terms a up to the 3td-party firm.
The point is that with this subscriber agreement, you'll accept
* that this 3td-party firm can deny you the useage of your bougth game a any given time for whatever reasons.
* they are not responsible for any problem (like a virus) caused by this 3td-party software
* they can do what the want with information collected by this software and the information needed to register, because there is no paragraph in the agreement that says otherwise (or I've overread it, in this case, skip that)
* that this agreement can be changed a any given time and in order to further play that game, you'll have to accept the new one.
The point is that, in order to play the game, you not only need your computer running, but the servers and the software of this 3td-party firm need run too. I acknowlege that there is an offline mode, but even there I am dependent on the 3td-party software running without problems.
And the last point is, that with all this meantioned before, you have to pay the full price for a standalone game, which it isn't.

With this in mind, I'll not buy the game on release day. I will and can wait, till my choice of vendor has it for a price which suits me.
If it'll show then, that this 3td-party software will need to connect regular, which can be controlled by the firewall of your choice, or the game will not run, I'll not have paid the price of a full game.

Thank you for your patience ;)

Hi all,

as you can see on my post counter I'am more of a lurker than a poster.
I've got every civ game I played as retail version. I didn't know Steam and so I've got on the side and looked what it takes to open an account, which only seems to be a valid email adress.

Here is my opinion:

The point is not that you'll can buy Civ V on Steam, there will be more distribution ways.
The point is not that you'll have to register the game online during the installation, this sadly is a defacto standard in games today.

1.The point is that, in order to play a offlinegame you bougth, you'll have to create an online account by a 3td-party firm, where you'll have to sign a subscriber agreement, which terms a up to the 3td-party firm.
The point is that with this subscriber agreement, you'll accept
2. * that this 3td-party firm can deny you the useage of your bougth game a any given time for whatever reasons.
3.* they are not responsible for any problem (like a virus) caused by this 3td-party software
4* they can do what the want with information collected by this software and the information needed to register, because there is no paragraph in the agreement that says otherwise (or I've overread it, in this case, skip that)
5* that this agreement can be changed a any given time and in order to further play that game, you'll have to accept the new one.
The point is that, in order to play the game, you not only need your computer running, but the servers and the software of this 3td-party firm need run too. I acknowlege that there is an offline mode, but even there I am dependent on the 3td-party software running without problems.
And the last point is, that with all this meantioned before, you have to pay the full price for a standalone game, which it isn't.

With this in mind, I'll not buy the game on release day. I will and can wait, till my choice of vendor has it for a price which suits me.
If it'll show then, that this 3td-party software will need to connect regular, which can be controlled by the firewall of your choice, or the game will not run, I'll not have paid the price of a full game.

Thank you for your patience ;)

1. Takes 2 minutes to create a steam account and it's a reputable company that WOULDN'T BE IN BUSINESS, getting various exclusive titles if it really was as horrendous as everyone is trying to make it out to be.

2. I don't think Valve has ever banned a steam account outright, making the person unable to play their games. They WILL ban accounts from playing games online if said person is caught cheating in online games.

3. If you install steam and somehow have magically gotten a virus because of it, you most likely downloaded steam from somewhere other than their site/had it long before you installed steam. Not to mention that it'd be nearly impossible to break into a secure network (without extensive technical prowess) to try to attach a virus to the steam installer.

4. Read the privacy statement.

5. Agh, trolled.

Pumpkinreaper, are you an employee of valve?

Even if you don't buy the Deluxe edition, you can probably acquire the Babylonian Civ sometime after release for 1.99 dollars/euros. The same happened with the Special Forces Edition of Empire Total War, so i guess the same will apply here. So if you don't want to shell extra cash for the 19th civ, then simply buy the standard version wait for the DLC. No big deal really and the game is complete with 18 Civs (as was Civ 4), Babylon is simply extra content, which will be available upon release. Whether its released as a DLC or bundled in an expansion, you will always have to pay for extra content.

The Deluxe edition costs 10 dollars more because apart from having Babylon, it also gives you the entire game soundtrack and a development video of Civ 5. If these items do not justify the extra cost for you, then buy the standard edition and acquire Babylon later on.

I don't see that anyone has mentioned this, so I will. The deluxe price is $59.99/€59.99/£39.99.

Straight from google: 60 U.S. dollars = 47.1179519 Euros

That price is an insult.

:dunno:
The US price excludes sales tax - the € price almost certainly includes it (or VAT as mostly used) and in Germany that would be 19% so the German equivalent would be 47.1*1.19 or €56 - not terribly far away from the actual price.

I like that Civ5 will use Steam. I already use it for several years and I have 190 games from there. I never saw any serious problems with Steam.

People who dont know what Steam is and how it work should read wiki about Steam and maybe install Steam with some free game to try it.

I don't see that anyone has mentioned this, so I will. The deluxe price is $59.99/€59.99/£39.99.

Straight from google: 60 U.S. dollars = 47.1179519 Euros

That price is an insult.

Unfortunately you're right :sad: However all companies do it, so not only 2K. We Europeans do pay more for the same games than the Americans. Its not right if we're all getting the same product. However this will not stop me from enjoying Civ 5 in the same way it hasn't stopped me from enjoying all the other games.

:dunno:
The US price excludes sales tax - the € price almost certainly includes it (or VAT as mostly used) and in Germany that would be 19% so the German equivalent would be 47.1*1.19 or €56 - not terribly far away from the actual price.

I didn't think about that, but still the British price corresponds to 46 euros, and they usually include the sales tax in their prices, don't they?

btw, what are the prices for pc games these days in Europe as it's seems quite high to me. here in Singapore we pay around S$60-70, which is around 35euro

According to my version of Steam the deluxe version of Civ5 costs €54,99 btw.

I don't know about other countries but in Norway new (PC)games cost between 399 kr and 499 kr, which corresponds to 64-80(tax included) usd, or 50-62 eur.

Another question, as I read saves are stored on the steam server, would it be easy to share saves for succession games?

Yes, I believe you should be able to without an internet connection.

Thank you for your input here Elizabeth! It's much appreciated! But in all due respect
can you be more affirmative. "I believe" and "should be able to" are not helpful here.

Can you guarantee that once validated, Civ5 can be played without an internet connection? Can you assure us (patching, MP, mods, DLC, etc aside) that once the initial validation is made, we will Never have to validate or otherwise connect with Steam again?

If for whatever reason, Valve/Steam should stop supporting Civ5,
will Firaxis/2k guarantee that we can still play Civ5?

I hate to say it, but marketing like this will just encourage me to mod Civ4 instead.

Top Bottom