1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization depiction elimination thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Liufeng, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 14
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21-3=18
    France - 12
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 21+1=22
    India - 12
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 14
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 14
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 20
    Sumer - 12

"It belongs in a museum!" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of England. Yes for a very brief and relatively recent period England was obsessed with stockpiling curios and relics from around the world, often without their owners' permission, but it seems extremely weird to base the entire civilization's bonus off of that fact as it really isn't what I would consider to be the defining characteristic of their culture even during their collector phase (it was more "Imperialism" while gathering up all the relics they filched was just a byproduct of that). Next comes Victoria's unique unit which doesn't really make sense as the redcoats were around way before Victoria came to power so making them a unique aspect of her rulership specifically doesn't make sense and they even gave the unit's model the classic tricorne hat and muskets of the revolutionary era rather than anything they would have wielded or worn during her era so you can't even say they're HER redcoats. Next the Royal Navy Dockyard... okay? Seems like a very weak nod at England's historic naval power and trade influence and also isn't particularly emblematic of England as they weren't known for having more or less sophisticated docks than other colonial powers just more of them in more strategic locations. Last thing that bothers me is the agenda. Likes people she shares a continent with? Is that some kind of a joke? Is England particularly well known for getting along with France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, the Dutch, the Italians, the Danes, the Russians, etc? Because if that was England getting chummy with people then their idea of what friends are is way out of wack. The Sea Dog and the first half of Pax Britannica are fine but everything else grinds my gears.

As for Greece I like how they represented the differences in ideology and culture between the city states with their multiple leaders with abilities fitting for their character built on a solid "Greek" foundation. No matter which leader you choose you feel like you're playing Greece while still having enough differences to make them unique.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Really? Firstly, the patriotic presentation of the British Empire, what you call 'glorification' (talking about Pax Britannica in the loading screen, for example) is not meant to be taken seriously- I feel that this is meant to be in line with how the civilisation saw itself. And if that sort of thing bothers you then don't play a game about empire-building and geopolitics!

Besides, what makes Spain any better than Britain? Not only is there the colonialism emphasis, but there is a Spanish inquisition bonus!

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 14
    Egypt - 18
    England - 18
    France - 12
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 19 (22 - 3) Gorgo is a horrible leader choice
    India - 12
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 14
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 14
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 20 (19 + 1) Trajan is a decent leader choice, and I really like how Rome's civ ability and leader bonus enable rapid expansion early on.
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 20
    Sumer - 12

3. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14 - 3 = 11 Too early for their inclusion ! Feels like they added it just for the australian market and for anglo-saxon world centrism ...
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 14
    Egypt - 18
    England - 18
    France - 12
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 19
    India - 12
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 14
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 14
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 20
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 20 - everything in that civ breaths spanish ! Not without saying their historical importance (and it's a portuguese that's speaking !)
    Sumer - 12

4. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 11
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15 (14 + 1) Another simple yet impactful UA. It does a great job on conveying the feel of a civ that's good at advancing technologically and culturally by building a large empire and doing lots of different things.
    Egypt - 18
    England - 18
    France - 12
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 19
    India - 12
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 14
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 14
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 20
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 17 (20 - 3) Civ V Spain was RNG dependent in a dramatic and flavorful way. Civ VI is RNG dependent in a way that feels entirely arbitrary (the location of continent borders). The UA is meant to encourage overseas colonization, but the way it scales (or rather doesn't) makes it simply a luck dependent early game boost.
    Sumer - 12

5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

The additional prod of the Hansa only takes place IF there is a commercial hub adjacent,
    just like historical reality because the Hansa was a cooperative union of merchants causing workshop manufacturing at every hub of their trade from Venice to Cologne and from there all over the coast of the North Sea, the Baltic Sea and landroutes to the Black Sea.

The exact date of the start of the Hansa is a matter of debate (the dispute being which town should get ther honor)
    but can be set at around 1150, just before Barbarossa died.

The Islander likes this.
  6. The Islander

The Islander Chieftain

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 14
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 9 (12 - 1) because zzzzzz.... (and also should haveba french leader)
    Germany - 18
    Greece - (21 - 3) i don't like how pericleses' helmet sits on his head. Is unbecoming for a leader.
    India - 12
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 14
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 14
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 20
    Sumer - 12

Arent11, Yesterday at 2:59 PMReport
    #40Like+ QuoteReply

7. The Islander

The Islander Chieftain

8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 14
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 12
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 18
    India - 12
    Japan - 22
    Kongo - 14 + 1 = 15 (I still think this is one of the best civ designs in the game. The Great Merchant and Great Artist points capture Mvemba a Nzinga's reign bonuses to some degree, as do the free apostles, even if it's a bit irritating (historically speaking) that they cannot win a religious victory, at least that creates interesting mechanics. I like that they can grow truly large cities in the jungle, and I like the Kongolese raffia on Mvemba's leader screen. Also, his leader screen portrayal is actually a bit more accurate in that it's clearly based on a later photograph of a Kongolese ruler--we don't have images of what Mvemba exactly looked like, but Firaxis chose the next best thing, and furthermore, didn't portray him as some weird caricature. The same is true for their attention to the Kongolese civ itself, and I hereby reiterate my earlier appreciation for Firaxis including Kongo and also for paying attention to the details of their portrayal more than expected.)
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 14
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 20
    Sumer - 12 - 3 = 9 (Not only are their bonuses generally situational, but they do not capture Sumeria's pioneering spirit at the dawn of civilization. Instead we have a war cart that kills everyone, which doesn't exactly capture what Sumeria is known for. Their leader is once again the legendary Gilgamesh, but he speaks Akkadian and not Sumerian, and more novel leaders like Shulgi or Ur-Nammu were not used in his place. Agreed with others who say Sumeria in game is the Epic of Gilgamesh civ rather than a historically-aware Sumerian civ. Hoping other ancient civs are portrayed with a bit more attention to detail.)

9. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 14
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 12
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 21
    India - (12+1)=13 Other than Gandhi, it seems like a decent representation of India's history
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 15
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - (14-3)=11 The backstabbing Civ, which just so happens to be Persia..
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 21
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 20
    Sumer - 9

10. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Spain should have 18, China 15.

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 12-3=9 - Their abilities don't say much about France, Catherine de' Medici is not good choice for leader.
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 21
    India - 13
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 15
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 21+1=22 - Their abilities represent how vast Russia is and how it was modernised during Peter's reign. Lavra isn't bad, Peter the Great is perfect choice for leader. His agenda fits him.
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 18
    Sumer - 9

11. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 14 + 1 = 15 (Maybe a little overpowered, but they are really fun to play even going for a SV and the production bonus for war is one of my favorite abilities)
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 9
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 21
    India - 13
    Japan - 21
    Kongo - 15
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 22 - 3 = 19 (Peter really annoys me in this game and I think Russia should have a more modern slant. The Lavra makes very little sense to me.)
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 18
    Sumer - 9

12. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

I'm about an hour and a half early, but might not be up that long. Aside from Norway, none of the civs have been voted out very quickly, which speaks to the quality of the civ design in this game.

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 6 (9 - 3) France has a rich history and culture but at the end of the day, Napoleon is the main reason they're expected on launch day in a game called Civilization. As tired as he is as a depicted figure, removing him feels wrong. Even if they were determined to choose another leader, the history of France provides a ton of candidates of both genders that would be more appropriate than Catherine.
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 21
    India - 13
    Japan - 22 (21 + 1) Their LA will likely get a rework in the first expansion as it fills a gameplay niche rather than existing for its own reasons. Aside from that, every bonus is perfectly Japanese and well represents the nation. Hojo is an interesting, obscure choice and he has been beautifully rendered.
    Kongo - 15
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 19
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 18
    Sumer - 9

13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 3 (6-3) Fully agree with Wingednosering: "France has a rich history and culture but at the end of the day, Napoleon is the main reason they're expected on launch day in a game called Civilization. As tired as he is as a depicted figure, removing him feels wrong. Even if they were determined to choose another leader, the history of France provides a ton of candidates of both genders that would be more appropriate than Catherine".
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 21
    India - 13
    Japan - 22
    Kongo - 15
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 20 (19+1) Peter is great to play in a fast expanding peaceful empire (I founded once more than 100 cities in a Prince huge pangea marathon). Your 6 additional tiles gives you much wood to chop for fast builders and settlers. Your cheap Lava's produce many cultural GP's. And both fit imo very well to historical Russia. Pious amid endless forests and tundra.
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 18
    Sumer - 9

Wingednosering likes this.
  14. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I just realized some scores are still wrong. Here, let me correct it:

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 3
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 18
    India - 13
    Japan - 23
    Kongo - 15
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 20
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 18
    Sumer - 9

Wingednosering likes this.
  15. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

America - 22
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 3
    Germany - 18
    Greece - 18
    India - 13
    Japan - 23
    Kongo - 12 (15-3) Kongo having the largest cities? Mvemba looking like that? No way!
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 20
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 19 (18+1) definitely feels like Spain. Very good job here.
    Sumer - 9

16. miked1991

miked1991 Warlord

America - 23 (22+1) - Well implemented and feels like an American civ to play as or against.
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 21
    France - 3
    Germany - 15 (18-3) - Agenda makes them an auto-enemy every game.
    Greece - 18
    India - 13
    Japan - 23
    Kongo - 12
    Macedon - 17
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 20
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 19
    Sumer - 9

17. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

America - 23
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 18 (Corrected)
    France - 3
    Germany - 15
    Greece - 18
    India - 13
    Japan - 23+1=24
    Kongo - 12
    Macedon - 17-3=14
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 20
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 19
    Sumer - 9

The trouble with Macedon is that it's not really Macedon, it's just "Alexander's civ" as every bonus and unique completely revolves around the brief stint of Alexander the great. I wouldn't mind an actual Macedon civ that much but if they were just going to make it "Alexander's civ" why not make Alexander a leader for Greece as it seems completely pointless and excessive to build an entire civ around a single guy/gal.

While I'm really not a fan of Japan from a gameplay perspective I will admit their design and abilities really do a great justice to the long history of Japan and feel like they encompass each era rather elegantly with simple but flavorful bonuses.

18. King William I

King William I Prince

America - 23
    Arabia - 21
    Australia - 15
    Aztec - 22
    Brazil -18
    China - 15
    Egypt - 18
    England - 18
    France - 3 - 3 = 0 (let's put this one out of its misery)
    Germany - 15
    Greece - 18
    India - 13
    Japan - 24
    Kongo - 12
    Macedon - 14
    Persia - 11
    Poland - 18
    Rome - 19
    Russia - 20
    Scythia - 17
    Spain - 19 + 1 (while I think its one of the weaker civs, the bonuses do scream Spain)
    Sumer - 9

19. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Might as well join in this one.

America = 23
    Arabia = 21
    Australia = 15
    Aztec = 22
    Brazil =18
    China = 15
    Egypt = 18
    England = 18
    Germany = 16 (15+1) Up-vote since they are my favorite of the ones that are currently below 20. I give the leader a pass since that was a different Elimination Game. While the U-boat is a late game naval unit that some people down vote - it is clearly an appropriate unique unit for this Civ and well done. The Industrial focus is well done and representative as well.
    Greece = 18
    India = 13
    Japan = 24
    Kongo = 12
    Macedon = 14
    Persia = 11
    Poland = 18
    Rome = 19
    Russia = 20
    Scythia = 14 (17-3) Too little is known about them. City names are a mess (at least some of which are in Russian). While an interesting choice, and a needed play style, they probably should have just been represented by Mongolia instead.
    Spain = 20
    Sumer = 9

Siptah likes this.
  20. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

America = 23
    Arabia = 21
    Australia = 15
    Aztec = 22
    Brazil =18
    China = 15
    Egypt = 18
    England = 18
    Germany = 16
    Greece = 18
    India = 13
    Japan = 24
    Kongo = (12+1)=13 It's a decent representation of Kongo during Mvemba's time, converting to Christianity and adopting European customs, the use of Nkisi shows that Firaxis did their research
    Macedon = 14
    Persia = 11
    Poland = 18
    Rome = 19
    Russia = 20
    Scythia = (14-3)=11 Generic Central Asian Horse Rider civ, I could have lived without this Civ in the game, leader has a high chance of being fictional (Are the Greeks the best source for the death of Cyrus?)
    Spain = 20
    Sumer = 9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.