1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V Special Edition Announced

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

At least the special edition doesn't include Canada and Brazil and any other civs they could deprive us of for profit.

I approve of this edition. Knick-knacks and a soundtrack are cool with me.

2. Intellectus

Intellectus Chieftain

Tells me that Future age is IN!:goodjob:

Definietly need to buy this game now.

3. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

I'm with Kent here. :lol:

4. Jamuka

Jamuka Warlord

Damn, I already pre-ordered the special edition on steam.

5. dcmort93

dcmort93 The Stig

Well you don't need to wait until next July 1st ;)
    The fact that it's not including the steam special content is concerning. It's like they are purposely screwing over the people that want to buy a hard copy.

6. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

So, let me see. Nifty shiny packaging, bright neato toys, spiffy glam mag, all for an addition cost. We really want our loyal fans to totally ignore the fact that we've refused to actually listen to them and could care less about them. After all, this definitely demonstrates our heartfelt commitment and unabashed love for our fans, it's only going to cost you a tiny bit more.

Yup, this definitely wants me to totally forget about 2k and all the asundry garbage that they've accidently sent our way......

Kudos to the 2k PR team though, nice timing. Totally made me forget about the FAQ.....

7. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Firaxis and 2K are looking to do a pretty good job of milking the bejesus out of Civ 5 and it's not even out yet. They're not quite reaching Blizzard's level of money grubbing (with WoW) but they're working it.

I don't often buy collector's editions and please, $100 for it? That's ridiculous. That's taking advantage of fans.

Between 2K's slime and going with Steam I've lost some respect for Sid and Firaxis.

I'll buy the game, but as a long time paying customer, I'm not liking where this is going.

It's not just Civ5...the whole landscape of PC gaming is sliding into the toilet in new ways. We've been dealing with RTS/FPS hell for years, lack of innovation, stagnation, and abandoning of classic genres/styles, buggy games with release day patches, bastardization of classics (FA3, XCOM fiasco), now any game that's decent is looking to bleed paying customers dry.

8. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

the figurines are cool, but if they are even including the full game in this package, then i recon thats a trap needing to be dodged.

9. Xzylvador

Xzylvador Warlord

Wait... this doesn't come with Babylon?
    So now I have to choose between:
    - Cheap(er) but incomplete game. (Normal Version on Steam)
    - More expensive "complete" game with Babylon. (Steam Deluxe)
    - Very expensive luxury edition of the game (which rocks, by the way!), but doesn't contain the complete game...
    WTF?

10. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

wow that really nice!

ill buy this one!
    ill take 2. (hehe get it get it?)

11. astrognash

astrognash TXT_KEY_CUSTOM_USER_TITLE

Not something I'd personally buy, but I'm glad they're releasing it for those of us who are more hardcore fanpersons than I am. And the Mech is making me happy, because it suggests a decent future era.

12. MazeMouse

MazeMouse Chieftain

Single question: WHen and where can I order?

13. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Good question. :) I don't see it on amazon.com yet.

14. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

Now I have to run around the house finding things to sell and come up with ways to get enough money to afford this.

15. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

You know, some people are really going to hate it, if they actually inlude mechs in the actual game. I wonder how this turns out.

16. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

Art book? Is that a book full of pictures they ship with a game with such depth and complexity?:confused: I do hope that it also contains a manual and tech tree map big enough to use as a sail on a minor boat.

I do like the figurines though, nice idea.:goodjob:

17. Wonderblunder

Wonderblunder Part Time Monster in the Closet

It's probably a book full of CivV concept art and pictures of the final results.

18. Hypernova

Hypernova Warlord

Yes, they really need to answer for why the hell they're doing this. I want a boxed game that is actually complete, and it's amazing that what purports to be a "special" edition of the game (and charges you much more for it) doesn't even include the complete game at all.

19. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I second that.

After playing the next war in bts I couldn't play a game without mechs anymore. Seeing a mech really made my day. If there is a scenario like next war then I'm set :cool: and can't wait for it even more!

20. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

That ad is misleading. Its says nothing about the requirement for internet access and steam registry. People getting a box might think they wouldnt need internet and Steam.