Civilizations Reborn

Probable bug of the new withdraw rules: Here I have a situation where my War Galley attacks a damaged barbarian War Galley, chance to win 97%. Barbarians are hit once and we immediately withdraw, still at full strength.

That probably got confused with the war galleys 25% chance to withdraw... But I don't see a reason to withdrawal here.

Attachments

• Ezana BC-0160 Turn 202 high chance to win.CivBeyondSwordSave
    556.8 KB · Views: 68
Yet another hotfix, at this point I'm starting to question how much of the last update I forgot to even test.

Fixed a bug where instead of withdrawing if they are about to die, units with 90% or higher chances of winning a battle always withdraw.
Also I'm not sure what happened but there was code that should have never been able to be compiled in the dll.

I found a bug related to production.
First case (Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG): Building a workboat (and it is the first workboat I am building) and it does not calculate correctly. Workboat costs 40, Muqdisho production is 5 hammers with 2 overflow. That shows 7 in total, yet workboat will be completed in 3 turns and city hammers total going into production is shown as -12008521, see screen.

Another case (Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG) is just presentational and I see them basically since the beginning (had Clergy and Republic civic the entire time, the other ones were changed):
Building a building in Jabuuti and totals are:
Base production 10
+671123018% for Smokehouse from Civics
+25% for state religion (clergy)

Total production: - 18787031.
However, this is just a presentational one, the real production is the correct 12 and the Smokehouse is going to be finished correctly in 4 turns (42 hammers remain).

Screens and save attached.
I am not sure if that's just Civ Reborn or the main branch too (in that case will post it in bugs thread) or if it happens for more civs or civics combination... will experiment more after night.

Attachments

• Ezana AD-0550 Turn 273 production bug.CivBeyondSwordSave
    707.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 181
I found a bug related to production.
First case (Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG): Building a workboat (and it is the first workboat I am building) and it does not calculate correctly. Workboat costs 40, Muqdisho production is 5 hammers with 2 overflow. That shows 7 in total, yet workboat will be completed in 3 turns and city hammers total going into production is shown as -12008521, see screen.

Another case (Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG) is just presentational and I see them basically since the beginning (had Clergy and Republic civic the entire time, the other ones were changed):
Building a building in Jabuuti and totals are:
Base production 10
+671123018% for Smokehouse from Civics
+25% for state religion (clergy)

Total production: - 18787031.
However, this is just a presentational one, the real production is the correct 12 and the Smokehouse is going to be finished correctly in 4 turns (42 hammers remain).

Screens and save attached.
I am not sure if that's just Civ Reborn or the main branch too (in that case will post it in bugs thread) or if it happens for more civs or civics combination... will experiment more after night.
Looks like a side effect of the new Unit Production Modifier I added for use with Religious Persecutors. Working on a fix for it now.

Merged the latest DoC

Reverted Religious Persecutor changes as I could not figure out how to fix the code. I found some errors in the text manager due to poor code placement, but I couldn't find where the game was getting the work boat modifier from. I'll try to reimplement this in the future, but for now there's more important changes to make. This is what I get for doing a rush job under the impression I finally understood how this game handles XML code.

Thanks for the quick fix!
It actually broke the savegame compatibility (a warning for others trying to update). But I should have reported the defect earlier anyway. And that game was a little weird as barbs roamed everywhere.

IMHO, AI Nubia is maybe too strong with all the resources and bonuses. In that game they conquered the whole Egypt (with the help of the Greeks), had 2 cities on the Mediterranean sea shore and 1 city on the Red sea shore. Around that point they still had Shaky stability. The Romans didn't try much against them. In 500 AD Nubians went around the Arabian peninsula and finally declared war on me, taking Aden (I evacuated the troops as there was no point to defend against several War Elephants with Combat II or III and catapults). After that, they collapsed. For the first time I saw a city turned to ruins by the collapse, the villages we were competing for culturally turned to cottages.

Thanks for the quick fix!
It actually broke the savegame compatibility (a warning for others trying to update). But I should have reported the defect earlier anyway. And that game was a little weird as barbs roamed everywhere.

IMHO, AI Nubia is maybe too strong with all the resources and bonuses. In that game they conquered the whole Egypt (with the help of the Greeks), had 2 cities on the Mediterranean sea shore and 1 city on the Red sea shore. Around that point they still had Shaky stability. The Romans didn't try much against them. In 500 AD Nubians went around the Arabian peninsula and finally declared war on me, taking Aden (I evacuated the troops as there was no point to defend against several War Elephants with Combat II or III and catapults). After that, they collapsed. For the first time I saw a city turned to ruins by the collapse, the villages we were competing for culturally turned to cottages.
I've noticed that too. I'll rethink their balancing in the coming days. They're supposed to be weak at first, strong after getting set up, and then rapidly fall behind. Though it seems I gave them too much production.

MY OWN DREAM-LIST:smoke:

1) MODERN IRAQ (1932-cuttent time)
Civ's deposit: now we have FOUR civs in the small IndoChina - so it's possible to add at least one on the big Middle East.
It will be like extra-"wall" between Israel and Iran and also barrier between Turkey and Arabia;

UP: Mystery of the Disobedience (-15% health of enemy's land units per turn in the core are of IRAQ)
UU:
Gulf's Worker (the same as US pioneers have strengh buy cannot attack)
UB: Oil refinery (Factory) // +50% to city commerce if there is acsess to OIL;

Historical Goals:
* New Jihad:
there is no US/European/Russian vassals or defensive partners in the middle East;
* Xuzestân's Agenda: IRAN shoul be vassal of Iraq before 1990;
* OIL-hegemony: have more OIL than any other civ in 2000;

2) CHILE (1810-current time)
Civ's Deposit: parhaps we need ecomic oriented Civ in the South America, so called "Anti-Colombia" (which currently has WAR as the main goal);

UP: Сopper's Nation (+4 commerse and production to any copper tile)
UU:
Armas de batall (сannons with "hill-2" promotion)
UB: Andes' Observtory (give free artist)

Historical Goals
Guerra del Pacífico: Peru should be vassal of CHILE in 1890;
*Pinochet' "Economic Wonder": have more GDP than any Latin-American Civ in 1980;
*Light of Santiago: have more commerce in the Capital than any other Civ's city in the Western Hemisphere in 2000;

3) Grand Duchy of LITHUANIA (1300-1600)

Civ's Deposit: in the old versions Turks-Seljuks destroy Arabian Civ and "prepared" Middle East area for Ottomans and Iranians
I think Eastern Europe need the same nation which have Conqest of its neiboors as priority // LITHUANIA could be opponent of Rus, Russia, Hungary and Germany;

UP: With Fire and Sword (+25% attack-bonus in the enemy's territory bedore ending of the Middle Ages)
UU:
Duchy's Guards (have "blitz" as start bonus)
UB: Duchy's stable (+2 commerce to all horse-pastures)

Historical Goals:
*Act of Krėva:
gift at least 7 units to Poland and have frienship relation with it (1600);
* Yagaylo's Legacy: control more territory than any european civ (1500);
* Vitovt' Rage: destroy at least 20 enemy units until 1600;

Last edited:
MY OWN DREAM-LIST:smoke:

1) MODERN IRAQ (1932-cuttent time)
Civ's deposit: now we have FOUR civs in the small IndoChina - so it's possible to add at least one on the big Middle East.
It will be like extra-"wall" between Israel and Iran and also barrier between Turkey and Arabia;

UP: Mystery of the Disobedience (-15% health of enemy's land units per turn in the core are of IRAQ)
UU:
Gulf's Worker (the same as US pioneers have strengh buy cannot attack)
UB: Oil refinery (Factory) // +50% to city commerce if there is acsess to OIL;

Historical Goals:
* New Jihad:
there is no US/European/Russian vassals or defensive partners in the middle East;
* Xuzestân's Agenda: IRAN shoul be vassal of Iraq before 1990;
* OIL-hegemony: have more OIL than any other civ in 2000;

2) CHILE (1810-current time)
Civ's Deposit: parhaps we need ecomic oriented Civ in the South America, so called "Anti-Colombia" (which currently has WAR as the main goal);

UP: Сopper's Nation (+4 commerse and production to any copper tile)
UU:
Armas de batall (сannons with "hill-2" promotion)
UB: Andes' Observtory (give free artist)

Historical Goals
Guerra del Pacífico: Peru should be vassal of CHILE in 1890;
*Pinochet' "Economic Wonder": have more GDP than any Latin-American Civ in 1980;
*Light of Santiago: have more commerce in the Capital than any other Civ's city in the Western Hemisphere in 2000;

3) Grand Duchy of LITHUANIA (1300-1600)

Civ's Deposit: in the old versions Turks-Seljuks destroy Arabian Civ and "prepared" Middle East area for Ottomans and Iranians
I think Eastern Europe need the same nation which have Conqest of its neiboors as priority // LITHUANIA could be opponent of Rus, Russia, Hungary and Germany;

UP: With Fire and Sword (+25% attack-bonus in the enemy's territory bedore ending of the Middle Ages)
UU:
Duchy's Guards (have "blitz" as start bonus)
UB: Duchy's stable (+2 commerce to all horse-pastures)

Historical Goals:
*Act of Krėva:
gift at least 7 units to Poland and have frienship relation with it (1600);
* Yagaylo's Legacy: control more territory than any european civ (1500);
* Vitovt' Rage: destroy at least 20 enemy units until 1600;
Truth be told, I've very much been considering adding Peru and Chile for quite some time now but kept pushing them back. When I get back to adding civs they will probably be the ones I start with. Suggestions like these always help massively in creating new nations, as I'm not very good at research. Would you mind doing one for modern Peru as well?

Truth be told, I've very much been considering adding Peru and Chile for quite some time now but kept pushing them back. When I get back to adding civs they will probably be the ones I start with. Suggestions like these always help massively in creating new nations, as I'm not very good at research. Would you mind doing one for modern Peru as well?
Well... I don't really think that new Peru is so important for current Map
Current Incas + their re-birth in XIX century are enough for this Area:)

I haven't tried out your modmod, but hope to do so over the holidays. I really like how you took a regional approach to Central-Eastern Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

In Latin America, and for what it's worth, I think it would be really interesting to see Peru and Chile as you suggest. Maybe also Bolivia and Venezuela? I understand they are not global players in any sense, but they're regionally important to represent the history of the continent, in the same way that you addressed this in Africa.

The main issue I currently have with adding new Civs is that the scoreboard text is already very small and adding more civs will end up necessitating it becoming even smaller. I've been trying to figure out how to make the scoreboard scroll the last few days, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I am putting the scoreboard and upcoming update on hold to address some of the previously raised concerns.

Taking inspiration on Crimean Lord post and 1SDAN response, here goes my suggestions:

1) Hittites

Spoiler :

Spawn/Location: 2000 BCE/Hattusa (Ankara title)
The estimated date of arrival of Hittites in Anatolia. Taking this spawn date, which is somewhat earlier than the actual foundation of Hittite Kingdom in Hattusa (1600 BCE), would allow precious extra turns in-game playing this civ. When the Hittites collapse/are conquered, Hattusa could be auto-razed or change its name to allow ancient Ankara.
Leaders: Labarna (stone age), Suppiluliuma (classical age).
Color/Symbol: Brown or Cyan (a tribute to the Hittites of Civ 3)/ Lion or Sphinx face inspired by the ones at the gates of Hattusa.
Expansion stability: Core: central Anatolia/ Historical: rest of Anatolia and Syria.

UP: Forerunners of the Iron Age: mines give + 1 production and commerce
UU: Heavy Chariot/Hulluganni (identical to the barbarian unit)
UB: Bloomery (replaces forge, avaliable at Bloomery but doesn't give an engineer slot).

UHV:
1) The Hittite Empire: (control 3 cities in Anatolia and Levant in 1300 BCE) and have an army of 5 Heavy Chariots.
Straight-foward objective of making their historical empire, including their famous chariot armies.
2) The Dawn of Iron Age: be the first player to research Alloys, Bloomery and advance to the Classical Age.
Refers to the traditional scholarly understanding that the Hittites were the first civilization to develop the smelting iron process.
3) Neo-Hittite Revenge: raze one of each Babylonian, Egyptian and Greek cities by 700 BCE.
Ahistorical objective. The idea is to reverse the fate of the Hittites, which historically were conquered by the Assyrian Empire (in-game, Babylonia). The Egyptian city is included considering their rivalry, and the Greeks is a reference to the Trojan War, as Troy possibly was a vassal of the Hittites.

Additional notes: considering that the Hittites were known for their metal working development, it could be interesting to add a cooper/iron resource near central Anatolia that disappear by 1000 BCE.

2) Celts

Spoiler :

Spawn/Location: 1200 BCE or 800 BCE/Austria (could be either Noreia [1N of easternmost Alps title] or Vindobona)
Spawn date represents the emergence of Hallstatt culture. The earlier date refers to the proto-Celts of Urnfield culture, while the latter is clearly a Celtic culture.
Leaders: Brennus (stone age), Boudica (classical age), someone medieval?
Color/Symbol: same of the minor civ (Green and Celtic knot)
Expansion stability: Core shifts during the game, similarly to the Phoenician civ. Initally the limited to the Hallstatt core, then shifts in 500 BCE (La Tène) to Gaul, then shifts to British Isles (when a palace is built there or is 275 CE (end of Gallo-Roman Gallic Empire), finally shifting to Ireland, Scotland and Wales around 500 CE (Anglo-Saxon invasions). Historical areas initially cover all the ones within Celtic maximum expansion (most of Iberia, Gaul, British Isles, Northern Italy, Central Europe, Balkans and Central Anatolia) but are reduced to only Gaul/Northern Iberia by the time of the British Isles core shift. The last core shift turns all Continental European and English areas foreign, with the exception of Brittany and Cornwall that still are Historical.

UP: Power of the Druids: unimproved forest titles beside a city gives + 10% unit production and + 2 culture when worked.
UU1: Galic Swordsman (replaces Swordsman, can be built with cooper, have a free March promotion).
UU2: a medieval unit, possibly Saethwyr (Longbowman, would work quite similarly to Indian Patiodha), Schiltron (Heavy Spearmen) or Gallowglass (Heavy Swordsman).
UB: Dun (replaces walls, gives + 1 culture and free Woodsman I promotion).

UHV:
1) Europa Celtica: Have 3 cities in Gaul and at least more 3 in any of the following regions: British isles, Iberia, Northern Italy, Balkans and Anatolia in 270 BCE and have a capital in with refined culture in the British isles by 1CE.
2) Brennus Legacy: sack or raze two capitals by 280 BCE.
Reference to the historical sack of Rome and the Celtic atempt to make the same in Delphi.
3) Celtic Christianity: build four Christian monasteries in four different landmasses by 800 CE.
The UHV would allow more activity to the early medieval and offer an victim to Vikings raids. The idea is to represent the Irish missions. Tipically, the four landmasses would be Continental Europe, Great Britain, Ireland and Iceland (refering to the supposed Irish monks that lived there before Viking expansion).

Additional notes:
* We could also re-introduce the Stonehenge wonder. It could have a requirement of being built with x forest titles within the city radious or that it only could be built in landmasses of xx titles maximum (think about Britain) to ensure that the Mediterranean civs could not buid it easily.
* AI Rome would possibly need a conqueror's event to cope with the new Celtic civ. It could be triggered in 50 BCE (Caeser conquest's) and would spawn legionaries in Gaul and Britain (England).
* Many of these ideas were inspired in older comments here in the forum, so I thank all suggestions made until now.

I would also suggest the following civs, however their case for inclusion is not that strong and so I have a less detailed proposal:

3) Assyria

Spoiler :

While I think Assyria would be an obvious inclusion to the mod given its historical importance, the main problem is that Mesopotamia is quite small in the current map.

Spawn/Location: 2050 BCE/Ninua (Nineveh)
Leaders: Shamshi-Adad (stone age) Ashurbanipal (classical age)
Color/Symbol: Yellow/Sun of Utu/Shamash (like in Civ V) or a Lamassu.
Expansion stability: Core: Northern Mesopotamia, Historical: Southern Mesopotamia, Syria and Levant.

UP: The First Empire: gain Great People points/technology points when conquer a city for the first time; cities do not offer resistence when conquered.
UU1: Kallapu (replaces spearman or light swordsman, likely similar to Immortal)
UU2: Siege Engine (replaces catapult, 100% attack on cities but cannot withdraw)
UB: Karum (replaces Lighthouse, available with Arithmetics, can be built inland and have + 10% gold for trade routes)

UHV:
1) The World's First Empire: Control Mesopotamia, Levant, Syria and Egypt in 670 BCE.
2) Enlighted Imperialism: Build the Hanging Gardens and The Great Library in Nineveh.
3) The Assyrian Church of East: Found Ortodoxy

4) Songhai

Spoiler :

Spawn/Location: 1100 CE or 1430 CE/Gao
Leaders: Askia
Color/Symbol: Dark Red or Orange/ same of Civ V?
Expansion stability:

UP: ?
UU: Mandekalu (replaces lancer)
UB: Mud Pyramid Tomb (replaces monument, gives aditional culture)

UHV:
1) Become the largest African civ by 1500 CE
2) Have a Islamic Grand Mosque and 4 libraries by 1529 CE
3) Control Marrakesh and have two vassals by 1590 CE

5) Zulu

Spoiler :

Spawn/Location: 1709 or 1812 CE/Kwa-Bulawayo (Natal)
Leaders: Shaka
Color/Symbol: Black/Indigenous shield
Expansion stability:

UP: ?
UU: Impi (replaces Heavy Spearman or Pikeman, + first strike, withdraw chance and bonus fighting gunpower units)
UB: Ikanda (replaces Barracks, +25% unit production)

UHV:
1) Have a larger army than any other African nation in 1848.
2) Have three different capitals by 1873.
3) Do not allow any European or Boer cities exist in Southern Africa in 1890.

Finally, given the recent discussion about the Latin-American civs, I will elaborate some proposals (mainly Chile and Peru) and soon will write here.

UU1: Galic Swordsman (replaces Swordsman, can be built with cooper, have a free March promotion).
UU2: a medieval unit, possibly Saethwyr (Longbowman, would work quite similarly to Indian Patiodha), Schiltron (Heavy Spearmen) or Gallowglass (Heavy Swordsman).

a) we definitely need a better name than 'Gallic Swordsman' -- that's been around since the days of Civ 3, but to this day I have no idea what it's specifically supposed to represent.

b) for the second unique unit, I'd strongly recommend a 'scythed chariot' to represent the armies of Boudica/Boadicea (who fought the Romans in the second-largest chariot battle in recorded history). Specifically, I'd suggest designed a 'scythed chariot' that causes collateral damage, but is weaker on attack, less chance of withdrawal, and (above all) is dirt cheap. The Celts don't have a very strong production base, but they should be able to field a sizable chariot army to ward off the Roman legions.

a) we definitely need a better name than 'Gallic Swordsman' -- that's been around since the days of Civ 3, but to this day I have no idea what it's specifically supposed to represent.

b) for the second unique unit, I'd strongly recommend a 'scythed chariot' to represent the armies of Boudica/Boadicea (who fought the Romans in the second-largest chariot battle in recorded history). Specifically, I'd suggest designed a 'scythed chariot' that causes collateral damage, but is weaker on attack, less chance of withdrawal, and (above all) is dirt cheap. The Celts don't have a very strong production base, but they should be able to field a sizable chariot army to ward off the Roman legions.

a) I agree. I'm far from being a specialist in Celtic or ancient history, so I'm afraid I cannot give a definitive suggestion. Remembering from my old days playing the mod Europa Barbarorum I/II for the Total War series, I found different names for the generic warrior who fought with swords: Batoroi or Bataroas ("combatants") Botroas ("sword soldiers") and Gargokladioi ("fierce swords"). Note that I don't known if these names are historically correct. Personally, I would take the Batoroi/Bataroas, which seems to refer more to the longsword carring warriors of Gaul.

b) I liked your idea! For the unit name, I also found two options in the same source as above: Esseda or Cidainh. Again, I don't really know which one is more historically correct.

Maybe use the Gaesatae as the UU?

For the chariot unit, I belive there's already a Celtic Chariot (forgot the name though) in-game, though it's unused.

Maybe use the Gaesatae as the UU?

For the chariot unit, I belive there's already a Celtic Chariot (forgot the name though) in-game, though it's unused.

Perfect, we could use it. The fact that the current Gallic Swordsman art is a semi-naked dude that carries an axe fits well the Gaesatae!

About the Celtic chariot, I didn't knew about that, only the Hittite one. If the art exists, even better, so it is easier to add it.

Another possibility for the name of the Celtic chariot UU is carbantos which was the Celtic word for a war chariot and entered Latin as carpentum.

Even if there actually isn't a Celtic chariot already present in-game I have checked History Rewritten and can confirm that their version of the Celts features a chariot UU, in this case called the cidainh, so those graphics can likely be borrowed if need be.

Top Bottom