Clown Car V: 2020 version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules only apply to Democrats, I'm afraid. Republicans don't need to worry about things like looking corrupt, or being corrupt.
Says someone who backed Blaisy-Ford's story in the Kavanaugh hearings and the Schiff investigations. You don't worry about looking corrupt because you do it openly.

BBC said:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Republicans vow to vote on Trump pick

Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell vowed to put President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee to a vote within hours of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death being announced, sparking outrage among Democrats.

Mr McConnell said he would act swiftly, despite the election six weeks away.

In 2016, he blocked President Barack Obama's pick for the court on the grounds it was an election year.
At a rally on Friday - before he learned of Ginsburg's death - he told the crowd whoever won the election "will get one, two, three or four Supreme Court justices", saying November's vote was going to be "the most important" in US history.

Mr McConnell said in his statement - which included a tribute to Ginsburg - that "President Trump's nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate".

The senator had argued in 2016 that "the American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice" which meant "this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president".

But now he says the Senate was within its rights to act because it was Republican-controlled, and Mr Trump is a Republican president.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54216710

I'm not sure what counts as catastrophic but losing Senate, presidency and a large state (Ohio, Florida, Texas) and some if the smaller ones would count.
The Republicans have won the popular vote in only 1 of the past 7 Presidential elections. It doesn't get more catastrophic than that on paper, but the EC has allowed them to squeak 2 additional wins in those contests they wouldn't normally have gotten. Gerrymandering has also given them a massive artificial boost in the House such that they typically pick up about 50% more seat margin with 30% lower vote margin than the Democrats and then the Senate structurally favors rural states due to its composition.

What I'm trying to say is that their brand has been dying for a long time but they've rigged the game. After the Obama blowout, the party even did a postmortem where the leaders recognized they were on a path to permanent obsolescence as their voting base continues to shrink but instead of reforming, they decided to double down on pandering to white voters and winning through manipulation of a rigged system. That's why the courts took on this outsized importance to them and why the party spent the 2010's redrawing every electoral district at state and federal levels that they could so they could maintain minority rule.
I would not bank on that, this tactic (I concede it is a very possible path, maybe likely) will backfire if they do loose. The optics of shoving a SCOTUS pick in after loosing the seats necessary to do it normally would be as bad as the optics of us packing the courts. . . maybe I do hope they do that though, it would help us in the longer run.
I was already in favor of court packing but I think if the senate passes a Trump nominee, court packing is an absolute necessity for the next administration (assuming Trump loses and concedes).

Unfortunately I don't think Biden has it in him to do that.

Last edited:
Says someone who backed Blaisy-Ford's story in the Kavanaugh hearings and the Schiff investigations. You don't worry about looking corrupt because you do it openly.

Oh the projection here is sooo rich

The Republicans have won the popular vote in only 1 of the past 7 Presidential elections. It doesn't get more catastrophic than that on paper, but the EC has allowed them to squeak 2 additional wins in those contests they wouldn't normally have gotten. Gerrymandering has also given them a massive artificial boost in the House such that they typically pick up about 50% more seat margin with 30% lower vote margin than the Democrats and then the Senate structurally favors rural states due to its composition.

What I'm trying to say is that their brand has been dying for a long time but they've rigged the game. After the Obama blowout, the party even did a postmortem where the leaders recognized they were on a path to permanent obsolescence as their voting base continues to shrink but instead of reforming, they decided to double down on pandering to white voters and winning through manipulation of a rigged system. That's why the courts took on this outsized importance to them and why the party spent the 2010's redrawing every electoral district at state and federal levels that they could so they could maintain minority rule.
I was already in favor of court packing but I think if the senate passes a Trump nominee, court packing is an absolute necessity for the next administration (assuming Trump loses and concedes).

'Later in life, Ginsburg the Supreme Court justice became the avatar of a new cause: voting rights — although she enjoyed less success defending this cause to her younger colleagues on the Court. When asked during her Amherst visit to name which Supreme Court cases did the most harm during her tenure as a justice, Ginsburg listed three: the Court’s decision dismantling much of the Voting Rights Act in Shelby County v. Holder (2013); the decision in Rucho v. Common Cause (2019), holding that federal courts may do nothing to stop partisan gerrymandering; and the decision in Citizens United v. FEC (2010), which permitted corporations to spend unlimited money to influence elections.
The common thread uniting these cases is that they are all about elections. Ginsburg spent her final years struggling in vain to preserve democracy against a Supreme Court majority that was often ambivalent toward it.'

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/18/20917...WiZtdvdj4DE-AW55LNAdEJy4kHGxB2LB2epSbJZjmCzDw

She knew it as well.

just think. trump will get to choose the future of this country for the rest of our lifetimes by stacking every court in the land from top to bottom all the way up to the scotus. legacy secured.

just think. trump will get to choose the future of this country for the rest of our lifetimes by stacking every court in the land from top to bottom all the way up to the scotus.

And we will respond by packing those courts and stopping the pretense that they are not just an extension of the political machinations of those involved in appointing them. Why should a population honor minority tyranny through the courts by lifetime appointments from a reactionary, racist, xenophobic, wealth worshipping cult? No. No more.

And we will respond by packing those courts and stopping the pretense that they are not just an extension of the political machinations of those involved in appointing them. Why should a population honor minority tyranny through the courts by lifetime appointments from a reactionary, racist, xenophobic, wealth worshipping cult? No. No more.
this is a cope. fantasies of a power grab that will never materialize. the courts will vote it down. the vision of the future you had for others has become your lifetime reality.

this is a cope. fantasies of a power grab that will never materialize. the courts will vote it down. the vision of the future you had for others has become your lifetime reality.

Tyranny of the minority never lasts.

3 scotus nominations and possibly more to come. the trump presidency will outlive trump himself.

Popular vote doesn't matter. Even Hilary only got 1% of the population more than Trump.

Last edited:
It bugs me that the most prominent never-Trumpers like George W. Bush will come out with vague statements about Trump (who they rarely directly name) being bad for the country but they won't explicitly come out and endorse Joe Biden or campaign for him by targeting conservative voters with pro-Biden/anti-Trump messaging. It's like party over country matters most to them right until the bitter end, no matter how high the stakes.

It bugs me that the most prominent never-Trumpers like George W. Bush will come out with vague statements about Trump (who they rarely directly name) being bad for the country but they won't explicitly come out and endorse Joe Biden or campaign for him by targeting conservative voters with pro-Biden/anti-Trump messaging. It's like party over country matters most to them right until the bitter end, no matter how high the stakes.

I mean the neo cons such as Krystol and company are certainly laying into him and endorsing Biden. Which of course tells me everything I need to know about Biden sadly.

He, at least, knows he's in for a bruising.
You can tell by the tactics he's using,
For he's not so much been
Attempting to win
As he's been pre-excusing his losing.

Another on the same:

Trump's convinced his one chance of not losing--
Casting doubt on the ballots we're using.
Since there's no prospect for
Being chosen by more*,
His (Sad!) hope is confusing the choosing.

*even the less-is-more that won him the last election.

What I see is a bunch of people in the news too small to widen the tent because it would deenergize thier stupider crazies, then annoyed that thier tent isn't including all the people they need to win reliably.

Then you flip to the other network and watch the same dip shirts with different haircuts.

Trump calls his campaign to a huddle,
"Our one hope is I piss in the puddle,
And then make a stink
That it's unfit to drink.
I'll declare the election a muddle!"

The current "Polling map" (as opposed to the "Consensus Map" or "Sabato's Crystall Ball" map etc) on 270 to win is showing Biden with 281 EC. It also lists Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Texas as tossups.

If Texas is a tossup, that's a good sign for Biden.

You want rapists to be legislating from the bench. Got it.

https://twitter.com/ne0liberal/status/1308126588354125824

Now here's an ad for you: Sen. Kelly Loeffler's new spot is all about how she's "more conservative than Attila the Hun," and includes an actor portraying a grunting Attila who delivers orders to, among other things, "eliminate the liberal scribes."

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1308102428240359424

And this is supposed to gain voters how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom