CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

You don't even need to disparage Phillips. The issue is that CNN misrepresented the situation to make a kid look bad. If Phillips lied, that's a small problem (people everywhere lie, and everyone trying to make a political change sacrifices some truth-telling while trying to reach a broader audience). It's the lack of clear fact-checking on CNN's part.

You don't even need to disparage Phillips. The issue is that CNN misrepresented the situation to make a kid look bad. If Phillips lied, that's a small problem (people everywhere lie, and everyone trying to make a political change sacrifices some truth-telling while trying to reach a broader audience). It's the lack of clear fact-checking on CNN's part.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out CNN did do their fact-checking, knew his story was bogus, but just ran with it anyway.

Of course that's because I just always assume the worst about CNN since this is far from the only scuzzy thing they've done.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out CNN did do their fact-checking, knew his story was bogus, but just ran with it anyway.

Of course that's because I just always assume the worst about CNN since this is far from the only scuzzy thing they've done.

I mean they're not Fox News . . .

Maybe you'd disparage him if he went on TV to lie about your kid and your family was getting death threats. He fed the firestorm.

That's the bigger issue, yes. But I also take issue with Phillips continuing to be treated with reverence despite his repeated lies, both regarding this incident and his life in general, being amply exposed.

I also am very disturbed with activism for political change based on lies or ignoring the facts, but that's another subject.

They basically are. The distinction is barely meaningful. They have a track record of slightly more egregious moves than Fox, but largely act the same way.

i mean Fox News is the propaganda arm for whatever GOP talking points are form one day to the next and CNN is that for American corporations. Since the GOP is government and the corporations aren’t I’ll go with Fox being functionally worse. But you do you! The Five need their viewers !

It runs the presidency and the senate right now.

No, it doesn't. Politicians that are members of that party control them.

Aside from that, the GOP is merely a party that operates within the government. It is not the government itself.

No, it doesn't. Politicians that are members of that party control them.

Aside from that, the GOP is merely a party that operates within the government. It is not the government itself.

Ok @Commodore i concede this technicality to you. Good job!:beer:

i mean Fox News is the propaganda arm for whatever GOP talking points are form one day to the next and CNN is that for American corporations. Since the GOP is government and the corporations aren’t I’ll go with Fox being functionally worse. But you do you! The Five need their viewers !

You seem to have the mistaken notion that I willingly view mainstream media.

You seem to have the mistaken notion that I willingly view mainstream media.

I mean I didn’t state that one way or another but whatever.

Whataboutism is strong in this thread, but it's coming from the good people this time so it's okay (even though they invented the concept).

Whataboutism is strong in this thread, but it's coming from the good people this time so it's okay (even though they invented the concept).

No bad tactics, only bad targets, in some people's minds.

On topic though, the media circus around this kid was atrocious, and no better is the fact that certain people, even in this thread, imply it was a-ok because of what hat he wore, or what protest he was at. Smearing some kid in nationwide news with things that aren't even true is wrong, no matter what his political beliefs. I hope CNN had to pay out the nose; I'm just sad that they settled, and that their internal communications were not made public during a trial.

I'm just sad that they settled, and that their internal communications were not made public during a trial.

That's probably why they settled. The optics of this are already really bad, don't think they could afford being the first mass media so publicly outed for this practice in election year. Whatever they paid to make this go away was likely worth avoiding that from their perspective, and they're probably correct in the estimation.

defaming people for profit

Jesse Ventura sued sniper Chris Kyle for lying about him in his book and a jury verdict sided with Ventura. The big media jumped in to lobby to overturn the verdict because Ventura successfully sued someone who defamed him for profit.

Top Bottom