• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Could You Pass the Latest Citizenship Test?

But they don't get let in if they fail right?

Wrong. to apply for citizenship you have to already be living in the country for quite some time. If you fail you still have your greencard

We should always be fair. And we want the best and the brightest? This test doesn't seem to indicate that. (What happened to "give me your tired, your poor and your huddled masses..."?)

It's just a poem. In any country in history Immigration is relaxed or restricted based on how desirable immigration is/isn't at the time. Some things in life just can't be fair. We can't just strip people of citizenship and make them a person with no nation, and we can't just let anyone with the ability to swim or walk over here to strain our social systems.

But they don't get let in if they fail right? Whereas I am under no obligation to know any of that.

well, you would not kick any Americans who can't pass the test into the Atlantic Ocean and kindly point out to them the general dircetion of Cuba, would you? so it is a bit of a moot point.

I got 90%.

45%

As if I'd want to live in the US though ;)

Wrong. to apply for citizenship you have to already be living in the country for quite some time. If you fail you still have your greencard

aaaaannnnnnd if they fail they.....don't get citizenship amirite? That kinda sucks right?

It's just a poem. In any country in history Immigration is relaxed or restricted based on how desirable immigration is/isn't at the time. Some things in life just can't be fair. We can't just strip people of citizenship and make them a person with no nation, and we can't just let anyone with the ability to swim or walk over here to strain our social systems.

So this test represents an example of an adequate filter for you?

I got 75% I was annoyed with myself for getting 2 of those answers wrong. I went against my first answer and went with a second asnwer and got those wrong. I got the one about who wrote the DOI, my first guess was Thomas Jefferson, but I changed it to James Madison. O also got the one about the original states question wrong. The other 4 I would not have any clue as to the actual date of the US constitution, how many member of the Representative their are , the length of a Senate term and the chief justice of the Supreme Court.

Since I am not able to be a citizen, I will just get there the back way, via a quickie marriage and then divorce. :D

80% I'm from America.. but I'm only 15 so.. I didn't expect to get 100% but they mostly seemed easy.. I mean "what are the first 10 amendments called" A: The Statue of Liberty?! the other options are more logical.

aaaaannnnnnd if they fail they.....don't get citizenship amirite? That kinda sucks right?

They still have another citizenship to fall back on. If you take away an American's citizenship then where the heck are they going to go? Detroit?

So this test represents an example of an adequate filter for you?

Among other things like time requirements. It screens for the ability to read and write in English, a brief history, and knowledge of some constitutional issues. I'm not going to say the status quo is the best situation, but a country just can't hand out citizenship to anyone willing to apply for it.

85% I guess I'm not American enough. But then again who the hell cares who the chief justice is?

Nope, the poem represents the quintessence of America that is immigration. If one is for for reducing immigration, then one is against what America stands for and what it was built on. The predictable plague of nativism that has been inflicted on us throughout our history is just a stain on our past like segregation or slavery.

As for the social systems thing, that's a bunch of baloney; immigration in general is a net economic benefit and counteracts their losses. Immigration is a net economic gain due to an increase in pay for higher-skilled workers, lower prices for goods and services produced by immigrant labor, and more efficiency and lower wages for some owners of capital. If you care about social systems being strained, then worry about the baby boomer generation and how to properly execute them before they bankrupt medicare and social security.

The slow, expensive, bureaucratic process for legal immigration is one of the main reasons why there is illegal immigration; if it were made saner and liberalized, then there would be less illegal immigration.

I got 70%! Woot, I am 10% from becoming an American Citizen!

Note, Im 17 and live in Singapore. So there should be no reason why Americans should get lower than I did.

You answered 95% of questions correctly.

60%

Wouldn't take a couple of hours to remember enough stuff to get me into your country. :evil:

70%
Never been to USA but may visit some time
More than 30 years since I left school in UK

They still remain a 'legal resident' and can attempt the test again.

Since I am not able to be a citizen, I will just get there the back way, via a quickie marriage and then divorce. :D

Marrying a US citizen can make you a 'legal resident', but you don't earn your citizenship that way. You can 'get here' in several other ways also (tourist, work, etc.) and find someone to marry to stay here.

The first green card they get is good for 2 years, then the next one is good for 10 years. They need to simply renew it every 10 years until they take the citizenship test and become a citizen (which most people would try to become a citizen before that first 10 year card expires so they don't have to remember to renew it since immigration does not send any reminders that the cards are due to expire soon).

Top Bottom