CQUI - A UI Overhaul (Now out on Steam Workshop!)

Reduce clicks and manage your empire faster

1. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

Great mod , enjoyed it a lot :) Thanks for the hardwork

2. ITcore

ITcore Warlord

Which sql file? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it.

3. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! It looks like the file I was thinking of is minimap.artdef. The other artdef files in the same directory also look promising. Let me know if you make any headway in tweaking those!

4. ITcore

ITcore Warlord

Thank you! First round of testing for minimap.artdef:

Code:
    <Element>
                <m_CollectionName text="Blip"/>
                <Element>
                    <m_Fields>
                        <m_Values>
                            <Element class="AssetObjects::FloatValue">
                                <m_fValue>22.000000</m_fValue>
                                <m_ParamName text="Width"/>
                            </Element>
                            <Element class="AssetObjects::RGBValue">
                                <m_r>0.000000</m_r>
                                <m_g>255.000000</m_g>
                                <m_b>0.000000</m_b>
                                <m_ParamName text="Color"/>
                            </Element>
                                <m_fValue>1.000000</m_fValue>
                                <m_ParamName text="Opacity"/>
                            </Element>
                                <m_fValue>2.000000</m_fValue>
                                <m_ParamName text="FlashRate"/>
                            </Element>
                        </m_Values>
                    </m_Fields>
                    <m_ChildCollections/>
                    <m_Name text="CityBlip"/>
                    <m_AppendMergedParameterCollections>false</m_AppendMergedParameterCollections>
                </Element>
                <Element>
                    <m_Fields>
                        <m_Values>
                                <m_fValue>30.000000</m_fValue>
                            </Element>
                            <Element class="AssetObjects::RGBValue">
                                <m_r>0.000000</m_r>
                                <m_g>255.000000</m_g>
                                <m_b>0.000000</m_b>
                                <m_ParamName text="Color"/>
                            </Element>
                                <m_fValue>1.000000</m_fValue>
                                <m_ParamName text="Opacity"/>
                            </Element>
                                <m_fValue>2.000000</m_fValue>
                                <m_ParamName text="FlashRate"/>
                            </Element>
                        </m_Values>
                    </m_Fields>
                    <m_ChildCollections/>
                    <m_Name text="SelectedBlip"/>
                    <m_AppendMergedParameterCollections>false</m_AppendMergedParameterCollections>
                </Element>
    </Element>
    There is another section of code above it titled "Frustum". I'm not sure what it handles but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I'm looking to do.

Now, the good part. The second part, Collection Name "Blip". Broken into two parts, "CityBlip" and "SelectedBlip". Respectively, they are the city dots on the map and the blinking dots of a selected unit. The value needing change is:

Code:
                                <m_fValue>XX.000000</m_fValue>
                            </Element>
    City Blip is set to 22.0000000 for width and Selected Blip is 30.00000. Halving the values produces the desired effect. I don't know if it impacts anything else (why would it?) so I would say it's safe to push out, if you wanted to. Here's a screenshot.

5. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

Well that was easier than expected then! My best guess is that the frustrum has something to do with that projected shape representing the camera in the minimap

6. ITcore

ITcore Warlord

Yeah, that's what it seems to be.

As for borders only displaying on the land, nothing I have looked through seems to handle that.

7. Brunoflip

Brunoflip Chieftain

Any chance to add Demographics, Notification log and Diplomacy Screen from HB UI from NQ mod pack? Has some really nice features, but you mod is on another lever and I'm so used to it I can't play without it. But would love to see that on CQUI :love:

8. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

While I like HB UI, the goals of CQUI and HB UI aren't quite the same. HB UI is developed for (and by) a community of competitive civ players who write their own rules. If you play in the NQ group, you use HB UI, it's a pre-requisite for the changes in the NQ pack to even work in the first place. That means HB UI is free to expose hidden information without needing to worry about fair play. CQUI, on the other hand, is designed with the understanding that it may be used in games where some players are using a vanilla UI. CQUI's goal is to reduce the friction of the vanilla UI without granting any explicit advantage. I think it's good that CQUI and HB UI are so transparently different in objective, because otherwise we'd just spend all day tying to one-up each other. Instead, there's great potential for both mods to share progress and really cherry-pick an ideal Civ 6 experience.

That's why changes like the demographics screen will probably never get incorporated into the main release, because making something like the demographics panel "fair" would mean gutting it to the point of uselessness. That being said, I'm not opposed to the inclusion of any HB UI changes! I quite like the color coded citizen icons, the notification screen, the diplomacy screen changes, and some of the other minor tweaks too. In fact, your request has incentivized me to PM Hellblazer and see if he's okay with me incorporating some of his work. Fingers crossed!

9. Brunoflip

Brunoflip Chieftain

Yeah, I did like other stuff like the colored citizen (and the highlighted new policies, ...), but didn't want to ask too much ^^

I understand what you mean, but demographics was built in Civ5 so I don't see how much it would break the game (maybe optional? But I'm just an user, I can't imagine how much work this would be and I understand this is more of an hobby, not your job). But I totally understand what you are saying. Anyway, would love to see some stuff from HB UI incorporated and I will be here hoping to see that happen ^^

Since we are here, when are you aiming to release a new version? Are you waiting for a new game patch before or just perfecting what you have for now?

10. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

Funny you should ask! I've written another super long explanation to a passing question concerning exactly this over here

11. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I have a couple of suggestions/requests. First, it would be nice if there was a little separation between Great Persons on their modified screen, something like a thin vertical line. Second, would it be possible to bold the text for resources in the tile pop-up to make them easier to see? Here's an illustration of what I mean...

Normal.jpeg With Bold.jpeg

Thanks in advance!!

12. isau

isau Deity

Hi there, I love the mod! One of my goals as I've been developing Quo's Combined Tweaks mod is to keep it compatible with CQUI so players can reap the benefits of the many improvements it makes.

Up until recently I've been able to keep the mods compatible, but there's a compatibility issue I've run into when adding a small amount of Lua via a GameplayScript. It causes the CQUI Production panel to stop working. I've checked this with both the DLC Jadwiga/Poland scenario and the DLC Vikings scenario and those scenarios also lose the Production panel. Unfortunately I don't have any leads on what causes the issue other than this screamer from Lua.log:

Runtime Error: C:\Users\Mac\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\cqui-master\cqui-master\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:1429: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    C:\Users\Mac\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\cqui-master\cqui-master\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:1429: in function 'CityBanner.UpdateName'
    C:\Users\Mac\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\cqui-master\cqui-master\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:520: in function 'CityBanner.Initialize'
    C:\Users\Mac\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\cqui-master\cqui-master\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:222: in function 'CityBanner.new'
    C:\Users\Mac\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\cqui-master\cqui-master\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:2180: in function 'AddCityBannerToMap'
    C:\Users\Mac\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\cqui-master\cqui-master\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:2203: in function 'OnCityAddedToMap'
    [C]: in function 'func'
    [C]: in function '(anonymous)'

I don't know if this is what causes the issue or if it could be something else.

It may be out of the realm of possibility to fix it, in which case I'll have to abandon the Lua in my mod, but if there's anyway you can look into it that would be amazing. :)

Here are some screenshots from Firaxis-created DLC scenarios showing the issue:

20170220222001_1.jpg 20170220222324_1.jpg

13. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

While I don't think bolding specifically is the best approach, I've created a ticket concerning restyling the plot tooltip for easier readability that hopefully carries the spirit of your change. Let me know what you think of the proposed change!

Yes, unfortunately scenarios are currently broken with CQUI. This is documented in issue #186 and I am, for now, considering it low priority

14. isau

isau Deity

Thanks for the update chaorace. Do you happen to know what it is that breaks when scenarios run with CQUI? I've had my mod around for a few months now and it worked great until I added GameplayScripts with Lua, which is what I think broke it. But when I removed the script it didn't seem to fix it. I've tried all kinds of tests and am not 100% sure that's what the difference is that caused the panel to break. I'm trying to figure out what to avoid that causes the issue. The only other clue I have is it might be a Building that doesn't have sufficient data.

FYI, I also did notice a screamer popping up because I have a District with no tech or civic prereqs, but it doesn't cause any issues. Rather than ask you look to into it, I'm just going to stick a small prereq on the district since all districts in the base game have a prereq. But I'm just posting about it here in case any other people play/write mods where districts have no prereqs.

15. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

I haven't looked into it myself yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt: It looks from that stack trace like the scenario is trying to access some kind of container in the city banner instance definition that no longer exists. Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with the ProductionPanel context, so I don't think that's a very relevant stack trace for anything other than the missing city banners. There's probably some other stack traces in that log pertaining to the ProductionPanel context that could help demystify the other issue. Normally I'd suggest that you download the Civ V SDK so you can have a proper console for debug output, but since it looks like the 6 SDK is dropping tomorrow anyways I'll instead just suggest waiting until that is available

Concerning using GameplayScripts (my experience here is weak, so take this with a grain of salt as well): I've found hotloading to not be a reliable method for testing them. Try reloading your game between changes or you may find some rather unexpected outcomes.

16. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Yes, that would be even better than what I suggested. An excellent plan!

17. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

Before anyone posts it... I know the Australian update broke CQUI. And yes, I am working on a commit that will fix that!

BlackSmokeDMax and TORARADICAL like this.
  18. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

New commit is out, CQUI should work with latest patch now. Yay

EDIT: And now we're on the Steam Workshop too! Updates coming fresh from the nightlies every Friday, direct from Steam :goodjob:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    BlackSmokeDMax, TruthfulCake and isau like this.
  19. Kaushal Patel

Kaushal Patel Chieftain

When I click on 'Group Settings' in the trade screen nothing happens. I clicked on both Group by destination and origin but only thing that changed was the trade routes showed trading post icon.
    Is this a known issue or just a case with me?

Origin.png Destination.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  20. BlackSmokeDMax

BlackSmokeDMax Chieftain

Was just browsing the Steam workshop and was wondering if you'd put this on there. Saw it and got a little giddy! Popped over here to thank you for that! And also to thank you for clearly stating that it's a weekly update!

Thanks again!!

chaorace likes this.