CQUI - A UI Overhaul (Now out on Steam Workshop!)

CQUI - A UI Overhaul (Now out on Steam Workshop!)

Hey folks, sorry for being a bit absentee on here, it's difficult to maintain a presence on multiple forums of discussion at once! I'm currently prepping for the v0.6 release, so keep an eye out. To address the many questions since my last visit:

Hello

Having a tough time in city view with the tile purchase and citizen icons being permanently enabled. Any chance these can get a toggle with a memory state?

This is an intended and major feature of this mod. The amount of overhauling to make this possible makes having it as an option untenable

been using this mod and loving it. btw how to disable default QUI: Show Luxury? i dont want to set as default

Persistent settings are a long-term goal, I'm waiting to see how other people implement it before I try myself, as I've no idea where to start.

Great mod, thanks!

I hope you are allowed to incorporate Divine Yuri's Custom City Panel.
Also I was wondering if there were any plans to incorporate (if allowed) GMiller7138's Unit Report Screen ?
Another request would be (if allowed) Ace Cooper's Next City Plot by Ace

I would like to integrate the custom city panel, but I've yet to receive permission. Ace's mod has already been integrated. I'll check out the unit report screen and see if I think it's up to snuff

I had a thought yesterday when I saw chaorace added the trade route mod, you shouldn't add mods just for the sake of adding them, to make a "super mod" to make it more convenient for people. That's an easy way to end up with outdated mods you can't update.

Chaorace should add mods if he plans to modify them in such a way that it needs to be integrated into the rest of the mod, or the other mod changes in such a way that it breaks compatibility with CQUI. Otherwise, there is not really a need for the mod to be integrated.

I feel that CQUI works best as a coherent whole. I do eventually plan to touch every menu. That's why I'm so eager to integrate other UI customizations: because I absolutely do plan to make tweaks to them myself in the future.

Been using the latest build from github. This has the workings of a major upgrade to the game, kudos.

My one and only suggestion would be the ability to customize what exactly are shown on the city banners. The icons for districts are infinitely excellent. The letters for missing city district buildings are infinitely not. Unfortunately, they stick out like a sore thumb. Different color font for pop growth and border growth and amenities wouldn't go amiss either. Everything else about this is terrific.

Unbuilt building icons have been scrapped. We realized nobody was using it and that it made the banners remarkably ugly.

@chaorace .. another ambush attempt! :)

I miss the Vanilla Great-People HUD structure and its cool "boxes". I wouldn't ming losing the big orbs & still re-use your symbols only in that space though.

So this sample MockUp only does two very simply thing...

-- Recalibrate the space between each panels as to leave just 8 pixels instead of the default 48.
-- Relocate the Prophet to the far right slot. How often should anyone have to scroll away for *IT* in each of their games? Honestly.. maybe ONCE to activate.

There might still be some room to prevent the Musician from being about 60/80 pixels off the right margin, btw.
I understand your initial concept must have been extensive UI components fiddling.. but, as they say -- perfection is rare while Opinions are numerous! ;)
Please??

PS; I've also been considering how to represent the Eras tagging system with specific colors applied to each symbols instead of having to drop a string to indicate it in the panels. Refer to my Z-Eras+Center mod for more details.

So, something funny about those boxes: they're baked into the background texture. I literally can't do anything about them until we get mod tools, sorry! A lot of the chunkiness of the current GP view is necessitated by the multiple strange design choices made for that specific screen. As for moving the Prophet slot to the right, that's a good idea and I'll look into it.

Could you include GPP per turn in the GP screen? I have been looking for a good place to do that. Also, is there a way to have a popup that displays the rewards from projects (ie how much gold/culture/etc and how many GPP you get)? It would be nice to actually see my rewards (it would also be nice to see what the reward WILL be before starting the project but that's a different problem...).

GPP p/turn should be simple enough, I'll look into it. The popup may or may not be possible, but I'll be looking into that too!

Having a tough time in city view with the tile purchase and citizen icons being permanently enabled. Any chance these can get a toggle with a memory state?

This is an intended and major feature of this mod. The amount of overhauling to make this possible makes having it as an option untenable

Fair enough. I still find the mod valuable as a reference for making my own changes, so the work is much appreciated :). I do enjoy most of the other changes, especially the left panel and the general cleanup.

Just to qualify my complaint... it's the GIANT button artwork that's the main source of distaste, not your approach to city management. It's overly busy and it obscures the tile yields. That of course is a separate issue with the original design, but it's much more prominent when it's constantly in your face.

Fair enough. I still find the mod valuable as a reference for making my own changes, so the work is much appreciated :). I do enjoy most of the other changes, especially the left panel and the general cleanup.

Just to qualify my complaint... it's the GIANT button artwork that's the main source of distaste, not your approach to city management. It's overly busy and it obscures the tile yields. That of course is a separate issue with the original design, but it's much more prominent when it's constantly in your face.

Ah, well that might be something I could do something about. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Posted this to the Quick UI board as well, but between that one and this mod I am thoroughly impressed - especially given the short time the game has been out! These mods brings back a lot of the Civ5 UI items that seem to be lacking on launch! Well done.

A few hours into play time and my only "suggestions/annoyances" would be:

• Allow the "Choose Production" button in bottom right to allow *just* the production menu to popup. Right now it brings up the whole 'city' view you've created, and also doesn't auto-minimize once selected
  • The city's growth/housing/border numbers added to the banners is great, but feels a bit messy. Perhaps removing the pop from the housing bit could help? Not sure.

No camera pan in minimap. Is it a bug? tried your latest build

Attachments

• no camera pan.png
    no camera pan.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 247
@chaorace
So, something funny about those boxes: they're baked into the background texture. I literally can't do anything about them until we get mod tools, sorry! A lot of the chunkiness of the current GP view is necessitated by the multiple strange design choices made for that specific screen. As for moving the Prophet slot to the right, that's a good idea and I'll look into it.

Yep.. i know. They use a pseudo-Modal calibration to build that framework (and container) so that it responds correctly to people's screen width.
AFAIC, we can still try adapting the DDS component/texture once we all get our gimmicky hands on the SDK with (hopefully) a proper de-archiver tool for BLP and ARTDEF or more files.
Without such authentic HUD/UI resources, we'd be working blind & certainly return to the Dark Ages of modding. ;)

I don't suppose while you've been swimming through all those lines of code, that you'd found where I could edit something so that yield shows up as default on a new map?? I like to be able to see the whole lay of the land before plonking down my first city. I asked on vans and had a look through everythign that I could (I'm really new at all this), and I may as well have been reading the Quran.. (I don't read Arabic ;)

Supplemental Map-Pin symbols...
Yields!
Please?! :)

Could you explain what you mean by that? What icons would you like to see? Don't know what yield icons would bring to the map pins.

I don't suppose while you've been swimming through all those lines of code, that you'd found where I could edit something so that yield shows up as default on a new map?? I like to be able to see the whole lay of the land before plonking down my first city. I asked on vans and had a look through everythign that I could (I'm really new at all this), and I may as well have been reading the Quran.. (I don't read Arabic ;)

I think there's a ToggleYields or ShowYields function somewhere in the files. A somewhat scrappy but fast way would probably be to just call that in a initialize method.

Could you explain what you mean by that? What icons would you like to see? Don't know what yield icons would bring to the map pins...
Although the other "stock" version of Districts can cover most needs for Pinning the obvious tile content(s).. two more are simply missing entirely; FOOD (Corn) & GOLD (Yellow Mineral).
That's all i meant.. sorry for being cryptic, but chaorace's original set is still perfectly fine as is. I just thought adding a few more (Housing & Aminity, etc) would provide some level of diversity.

Last edited:
Although the other "stock" version of Districts can cover most needs for Pinning the obvious tile content(s).. two more are simply missing entirely; FOOD (Corn) & GOLD (Yellow Mineral).
That's all i meant.. sorry for being cryptic, but chaorace's original set is still perfectly fine as is. I just thought adding a few more (Housing & Aminity, etc) would provide some level of diversity.

I'm just wondering what tile one would place a pin with a food or gold icon on. I added the district ones because they are really helpful for city planning. Would the food and gold icons help with planning? I'm probably just a bit confused and misunderstanding you. :)

Every file with map pin in its name, so manager/popup/list I think, have code for that functionality. You should be fine by just taking those files.

@jacks0n I saw those files in the main Civ VI Assets folder, but I don't see anything in this mod to enhance the map pinning system outlined in the OP:
Spoiler :

• Map Pinning system enhanced: new pins, long pinlists are now scrollable, right click in pinlist to quickly delete pins, enter key now bound to finalizing a pin in pin creation menu.

Top Bottom