[RD] curing aging

From the reporter.
This from our graphics department, who put together the map based on the data and report:

"It is because the study keyed their map based on rank while we keyed the map based to the mean score value. Both are correct, they're just mapping different things."
Hope that helps.
Best, Clare
I asked her a few more questions; we'll see if she keeps up the conversation.

Reminds me of a story the narrator tells in the movie Zeitgeist: Moving Forward, where he plays Monopoly with his Grandmother... after he finally wins the game, his Grandmother chillingly tells him... "Now it all goes back in the box"

Such a concise illustration of life. It all goes back in the box... including you.
Yeah... and as the video says: You got to ask yourself the question: What matters?

The thrill? It is as the wind. It will leave you. Especially when you lie in the hospital bed, say consumed by cancer. None of it will be there. NONE It will leave you all alone in the night. Desperate. Desolate. Lost. You, who was at the very top of things, will be at the very bottom of things.

So... what matters?

Because there is something, with will make the most terrible thing imaginable to you not only bearable, but blissful. Not because it is a lie, as your ego will tell you. But because it is a fundamental truth. And I promise you it will have absolutely nothing to do with possession of whatever kind.

So.. what was the point of possession to begin with?
To get high?
Might as well smoke a crack pipe. The way is much easier and the high much higher and the time wasted much fewer.

Last edited:
Yeah... and as the video says: You got to ask yourself the question: What matters?

The thrill? It is as the wind. It will leave you. Especially when you lie in the hospital bed, say consumed by cancer. None of it will be there. NONE It will leave you all alone in the night. Desperate. Desolate. Lost. You, who was at the very top of things, will be at the very bottom of things.

So... what matters?
A life well lived. A world better for you being in it.

Exactly.

But to live well, you have to let go of trying to live for yourself.
Let go of fear and anxiety. Of walls and borders. Of everything that tries to box you in.

And be free. And embrace. And love.

AND - don't confuse being a betterment of the world with being "good". It just will be another infantile kludge to hold on to and get a fix from. Like a crack pipe.

Instead - BE yourself. And that will be hard. In the beginning. But the easiest thing ever, in the end.
Focus on the end to make the start.
Become a circle.
So to be whole.
And ultimately, holy. As GOD always intended, ultimately.

Reminds me of a story the narrator tells in the movie Zeitgeist: Moving Forward, where he plays Monopoly with his Grandmother... after he finally wins the game, his Grandmother chillingly tells him... "Now it all goes back in the box"

Such a concise illustration of life. It all goes back in the box... including you.

Game boxes typically do not attract worms ^_^

Speaking of which, I wonder how the western churches got around the resurrection of the dead stuff, and allowed cremation. Obviously the sceletons won't just regenarate flesh to cover them, but when you are reduced to ash and scattered it will take nothing short of a Dr. Manhattan to come back.

Game boxes typically do not attract worms ^_^

Speaking of which, I wonder how the western churches got around the resurrection of the dead stuff, and allowed cremation. Obviously the sceletons won't just regenarate flesh to cover them, but when you are reduced to ash and scattered it will take nothing short of a Dr. Manhattan to come back.
Huh? There's nothing to "get around". What part of "God is omnipotent" do you not get?

But as for your main point, I think that this is a false choice, in the sense that if you look back at what I was responding to, I believe that you will see that what my comment referred to, is that given the choice between me getting old together with my wife versus me staying young while my wife gets old and dies, versus me forcing my wife to stay young against her will... I'd opt for the first option, as I regard the other two as unconscionable.
Apologies, I didn't appreciate your nuance there. I thought of that hypothetical as so strange that my brain short-circuited as you answered.
Now what you are asking, or at least what you seem to be asking, is something that I believe I already acknowledged and addressed in that same post (or a post shortly thereafter). Specifically, I acknowledged the unappetizing prospect of both becoming invalid, as well as having to care for someone invalid for decades on end. Of course you would recognize, that there is a fairly broad spectrum of "invalid". If at some point, the spouse becomes so far gone that they have to transition to 100% inpatient care, then you are completely relieved of having to be the primary caregiver. Similarly, if you are both too far along in terms of being invalid that you both need some sort of live in nurse and/or caregiver and/or nursing home care, then again, there is no caregiving responsibility.
If you're capable of off-loading their invalidity onto others, I don't think that diminishes the point other than the 'hassle' of taking care of a loved one, which isn't really the main concern. Whether you're losing money to take care of them or vis versa, the healthier partner is forgoing something to care for the weaker. If someone is wealthy enough that they don't really care (either through private wealth or through social supports), it's still opportunity cost. Or, at least, one person has to watch the other be significantly more diminished and incapable. But, you're right, you were answering a weird hypothetical.
That's easy... I'd want to be the one to go first, 100% with no reservation.
Does she agree? If so, logically you have two options if you truly prefer that you go first. Allow yourself to degenerate faster than her, or delay her degeneration. Without active management, it becomes somewhat of a coin-toss.
The point here, of course, is that speeding your own degeneration is not recommended. And, also, that she probably wouldn't agree with your choice. I see no solution but to strive to maintain the partner's health.

Does she agree? If so, logically you have two options if you truly prefer that you go first.
No. If she had her druthers, wed go at exactly the same time, in equal health, somewhere in the early to mid 100s. She's told me as much.

Also... I will share that I find your italics around "truly" to be mildly offensive in this context. You've already apologized to me once, so just know that I'm not trying to extract another.

I just want to remind you of something you're obviously already aware of, but possibly disregarded... that its entirely possible to care for another person more than yourself.

A lot of this thread is talking about the physical toll of aging, but anyone who has seen the mental decline that can happen at the end of life probably thinks the mental toll is more worrying. Some recent research indicates that the gut microbiome may be significant influence on the development of the various forms of dementia that is so prevalent. It also seems like the uterine environment may be significant in the development of autism.

The big question is what can you do about it. I do not know, I feel that having lots of fruit and vegetables is a way of influencing your microbiome, and is a good thing generally. However it is quite possible that the opposite is true.

One of the scary aspects of Alzheimer's is that it seems to occur regardless of general mental habits, affecting both highly mentally active people and those who seem to not be much into thinking.
That said, using one's brain and trying to remain productive and positive seems to be the best bet on that front.

One of the scary aspects of Alzheimer's is that it seems to occur regardless of general mental habits, affecting both highly mentally active people and those who seem to not be much into thinking.
That said, using one's brain and trying to remain productive and positive seems to be the best bet on that front.
Yeah, that does seem to help manage the decline. We know very little about what we can do to influence it, but there is a lot of work going on in that area, I would be surprised if we do not know a whole lot more about how to handle it by the time we are getting to our 70's.

Top Bottom