1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Emperor

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's sort of what the whole sport revolves around - the idea that you can pass a ball using your foot. If that's not gameplay, then hitting a ball with a baseball bat isn't gameplay either. Of course what you wrote was written in jest, but..

3. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

my point is that all the defensive stalling makes it boring & irrelevant to the point of not being very different from downtime. it's really not a much less yawn-worthy sport than any others on that list.

street football, indoor football? now we're talking. 100% gameplay. it was blissfully exhausting as I recall doing it back in the days.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

But it is essentially what the sport is. If you're not into it, that's fine, but it's not downtime - it's the meat of the sport.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Oh yes it does, but do you want to watch 'Muricans running about?
    but that's not cricket

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't know so much about Rugby Union. In that, a great deal of time seems to be wasted in intimate physical contact with each other, of various kinds.

I suspect a lot of the players would act in much the same way even with no ball available throughout the game.

I think it's probably just an excuse for people to grope other members of the same sex in public.

7. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

I have a lesbian friend who does rugby. Apparently half of the team are also lesbians.

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I can understand that. When can I join in?

(Nonono. I was joking. I don't want to really.)

9. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It's like Rugby League, but for posh people and the Welsh.

(Rugby League, correspondingly, is like Rugby Union, but for poor people and Australians.)

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

No. I meant I don't know that Rugby Union is noted for being a constant activity game. Meaning that I don't think it is. (And I jokingly referred to the amount of time spent fondling each other rather than getting down to the business of playing the game.)

I don't know much about Rugby Union, it's true. But I have enjoyed watching the Six Nations from time to time.

To be serious, I wasn't being serious. Rugby Union may have more or less downtime than any other particular game. I've not studied the matter with stopwatch in hand.

American football does seem to have an extravagant amount of downtime. But that's because when the ball is in play nearly every team member is running full pelt at the opposing team members. So they need plenty of downtime just to get their breath back. I'm guessing.

11. madviking

madviking north american scum

heh. the one out and out lesbian i know does rugby too :lol:

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Apparently a lot of the interesting stuff happens in between plays, but none of this is ever shown on TV. It's basically, from what I remember, when both teams get ready for the next "bout" or whatever they'd call it. Some guy was telling me, that if you really understand the sport, that's the interesting part - it's when both sides set up. If you really understand the strategies involved, you'll see them set up, you'll see this guy set up here, this guy there, you'll read into the tactics, etc..

But yeah, none of that is showed on TV, at least from what I remember of the summary (written up by a big American football fan, don't remember where from). If what I read is accurate, we only see the "Boom bang" part, and none of the more interesting bits. That's a bit of a turnoff for me, since that is one of the main things I love about soccer - how the teams adjust their shape, formation, etc. to react to circumstances on the pitch. It happens during gameplay, and it's fluid and dynamic, and if you're new to the sport you'll miss most of it..

It likely doesn't matter to casual fans, but it sucks knowing that if I ever got into the sport, that I would be unable to see those interesting bits and follow the game on that level. But that of course is all assuming the post I read about this is accurate. Either way I don't think the sport is really for me anyway - I still can't get over that it's men in tights.

13. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Probably will help me decipher the following passage.

14. madviking

madviking north american scum

15. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Pick the closer side, I suppose. And get a better view just before you die.

And #69 seems to be the perceived pole position for going in deep.

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

That's the Golden Gate Bridge, I take it. And over how long a period are those ~1,000 suicides? Surely not in one year!

What does "as in Oct 2005" mean? Never the number of suicides in that one month!

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think the blue represents the area where Union is the most popular football code.

18. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

I've constantly seen this graph being posted and I wanna ask Australians: is it true and factual?

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Pretty much. The national rugby league competition does have a team from Melbourne (and one from New Zealand), and the Aussie rules competition has two teams from Sydney and two from Queensland (as compared to 10 from Melbourne), but in general rugby league is much more popular in NSW & Queensland, the Aussie rules much more popular everywhere else.

20. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Er. There's no blue. (I know you know this). Which is very strange. Union being clearly the superior game over both Rules and League.

Does the red line represent the area where Union is most popular?