[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arakhor found the source which explains the "drinks" thing
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-chart-will-tell-you/?utm_term=.b757f1a97b89

Four and a half 750 mL bottles of Jack Daniels per week is...ridiculous. I don't think I've ever even come close to that.

How is that even possible ?
I consider myself a "heavy drinker", but I couldn't drink that much if I wanted to. I couldn't even want it.
Put aside the cost and the self-loathing next morning, if I drank ten beers today (and I'm not saying I won't/didn't), I really wouldn't like the taste of beer tomorrow. I guess I could drink ten more tomorrow if it was important, but the day after tomorrow I would feel too sick to drink again.

I consider myself a "heavy drinker", but I couldn't drink that much if I wanted to. I couldn't even want it.

Well, I think the point is that this is driven by people who are really bad alcoholics. So you could want to, but you would have to kind of pace yourself and drink more and more and more over a long period of time.

Put aside the cost and the self-loathing next morning, if I drank ten beers today (and I'm not saying I won't/didn't), I really wouldn't like the taste of beer tomorrow. I guess I could drink ten more tomorrow if it was important, but the day after tomorrow I would feel too sick to drink again.

I'm basically the same...I had about 12 shots in one night a few months ago and spent the pre-dawn hours vomiting, and didn't drink at all until a week afterward. But I've drunk more at times in the past than I am drinking now, and I've seen friends drink a lot more too. You can do it, but you have to earn it.

If you're interested in the units system as it applies to alcohol, you can read about it here. I don't drink, so I can't really explain it myself.

I'm basically the same...I had about 12 shots in one night a few months ago and spent the pre-dawn hours vomiting, and didn't drink at all until a week afterward. But I've drunk more at times in the past than I am drinking now, and I've seen friends drink a lot more too. You can do it, but you have to earn it.

Oh, I have earned it. My alcohol tolerance is worrysome compared to what it was a few years ago and I hardly get the typical hangover symptoms -headaches, nausea, vomiting- anymore, but on the third day the less obvious health effects get too much to ignore. Muscle pain, cramps, very low blood pressure...
I also think I get a lot dumber after drinking and it takes at least two weeks to recover from that.

Oh, I have earned it. My alcohol tolerance is worrysome compared to what it was a few years ago and I hardly get the typical hangover symptoms -headaches, nausea, vomiting- anymore, but on the third day the less obvious health effects get too much to ignore. Muscle pain, cramps, very low blood pressure...

I know the feel. I'm basically just extrapolating. I've hung around some people who drink a lot so...

This chart is very scary. Alcohol producers push these narratives because they know their sales are extremely top heavy. Alcoholism and binge drinking are encouraged for these reasons while other drugs are vilified.

I have drunk 10 drinks in a day. But to average that year round? That's nuts.

I also think I get a lot dumber after drinking and it takes at least two weeks to recover from that.
You really do get dumber from drinking in my experience. Coming out of college I was spiraling around the drain that is alcoholism. It took about a month of not drinking before I felt recovered and oh boy it was a minor miracle. I mean in retrospect it seems dumb and obvious but it turns out that a lot of the health problems I was having in that period were all alcohol related. I felt 1000% better physically and mentally after stopping drinking. When you're into heavy drinking you don't even realize what a toll it's taking as it comes on slow and eventually you just accept the general feeling of crappiness and fuzz-headed feeling as completely normal but it isn't.

In addition to thinking more clearly, stopping drinking dramatically improved my mood. When you drink it's like you're stealing all of next week's happiness and distilling it down into one evening. If you drink heavy enough then the entire next week is going to be miserable.

I didn't go full tea-totaller or anything but I stopped binge drinking entirely and now only have alcohol about once a month at most. But it took two or three months of total abstinence to break the mental habit of wanting a drink all the time. Now, a year out, whenever I think about drinking I get a real yuck feeling and so I just don't partake most of the time.

I have drunk 10 drinks in a day. But to average that year round? That's nuts.
Alcoholics. Definitely not normal.

Anyway, ranking medical evidence.

"Hierarchy of evidence pyramid. The pyramidal shape qualitatively integrates the amount of evidence generally available from each type of study design and the strength of evidence expected from indicated designs. In each ascending level, the amount of available evidence generally declines. Study designs in ascending levels of the pyramid generally exhibit increased quality of evidence and reduced risk of bias. Confidence in causal relations increases at the upper levels. *Meta-analyses and systematic reviews of observational studies and mechanistic studies are also possible. RCT, randomized controlled trial."

Last edited:
Oh, it started at T and fell below S in the late 60s.
That's...

...bad ?

What's fun about the video is, he spend five long minutes and forty-nine longer seconds farting on about art should have objective aesthetic standards, but never gets round to actually, y'know, articulating any.

So clearly art stopped having what... it... never had?

What's fun about the video is, he spend five long minutes and forty-nine longer seconds farting on about art should have objective aesthetic standards, but never gets round to actually, y'know, articulating any.
Derp. Everyone knows what objective aesthetic standard he's talking about, it's "those" ones, just ask that guy who said stuff. You know? that guy? who talked about stuff and did things?

With the melting ice in the Arctic Ocean because of the Climate Change, the Northern Sea Route, connecting Europe with East Asia, along the coast of Siberia, becomes economically accessable.
Some maps to show that in the light of future geopolitical effects.

Hereby three maps, centered near or at the North Pole, not distorting distances by the usual Mercator projection, that show how short distances become along the Arctic Sea Route, or Polar Silk Route as the Chinese call it, and the territorial claims.
Ships with Russian LNG from the Yamal Peninsula near Murmansk, need only two weeks to travel to India instead of four weeks through the Suez canal, halving the operational cost and investment for the transport, easily offsetting the nuclear icebreaker cost, because they are hardly needed.
For Putin important enough to visit the LNG port this year. For Xi-Jinping important enough to build up good ties with Norway, Denmark etc.
Also because of mineral resources in the Arctic, including gas, and the military strategic position, the Arctic is transforming from a barren, submarine only ice field, to a competed geopolitical area.
The Northern Sea Route will no doubt strtenghten the Russian position, and good ties between Russia and China. Technically from international law Denmark has a gigantic share of the Northpole area because the Danish Greenland continental shelf extends to the North Pole.

Schermopname (1840).png
Schermopname (1841).png
Schermopname (1844).png

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia-Insight/China-and-Russia-battle-for-North-Pole-supremacy
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/oct/05/melting-arctic-ice-supertankers
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/why-the-kremlin-is-militarizing-the-arctic-2015-2

Last edited:
And somehow countries are claiming the Northwest passage is in international waters...

Do you mean the shipping lanes or the resources ?

The shipping lanes are I guess mostly going through international waters and some points could be within the 12 mile territorial waters, depending on the Ice situation. But even there, innocent passage of civilian ships is allowed AFAIK under UNCLOS (BTW not ratified by the US).

The resources and military is another animal.

The point of the post is the strong reductions in distances and the consequences on the mainstream routes, the fossil consumption of the ships, and to a minor degree also the size of the fleet needed.

I mean the part of the north-west passage shipping lane that cuts right through Canadian territory.

Well, Canada could charge a toll. Or they could go around the Canadian Arctic islands and down the coast of Greenland.

All our allies are telling us we can't charge a toll, because the passage should be considered to be international waters. Or at least that was the last I remember reading of the situation. I think I remember our last Prime Minister announcing that we are going to have more ships up there and stuff. Maybe some stations? There's an occasional story in the media about the government upping their arctic efforts, but tbh I have no idea how much money we have invested or what sort of presence we have there.

I think the key is that going around is not an option during most times of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom