1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Ok thanks. Didn't know if you read the Synthesis thread, that's why I was asking here.

EDIT: Oh, and is Italy playable right now? From the main screen? I don't remember ever being prompted if I wanted to play as the Italians.

2. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

3. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

This.

4. srpt

srpt Deist

5. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

If in Imageshack you click the button on the right that says "Embed this image" there's better formats. The 'Forum' option is what I use.

srpt's picture in better format:

Spoiler :

6. Gruekiller

7. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Going by the screwed up religions it would appear he's playing 3000AD (in which Holy Cities get burned down and the religions go haywire as a result).

8. dcode147

dcode147 Warlord

I agree. The game's crashed for me a couple of times as well. Also when I play as other civs, I see all too often stacks of Roman troops spawned on islands that aren't doing anything.

Idea: AI-Directed Probabilistic City Flips

I think this idea might present a solution to the following 2 problems:
    1) Great UP ideas are rejected right from the beginning simply because AI players wouldn't be able to use them to the UP's greatest extent. (Ex: Roman UP idea that allows for pre-nationalism drafting of units)
    2) Some civs are much more powerful (in a militaristic sense) when played by humans and much less powerful when controlled by the AI. (Ex: Romans, and Arabians)

If in year y, Civ A is controlled by AI and City/Region B is not controlled by human player and Civ A score is > x; then there is z% chance a certain city will flip to Civ A.

Examples:
    - If in AD AD640, Arabs are controlled by AI and Alexandria/Libya area is not controlled by a human player, then 75% chance Libyan cities (Bengazi & Tripoli) will flip to the Arabs.

- If in 50BC, Romans are controlled by AI and Jerusalem area is not controlled by a human player and Rome has higher score than civ controlling Jerusalem, then there there is 75% chance Jerusalem area will flip to Romans and Romans will get small army spawned there.

-If in 150BC, Romans are controlled by AI and Carthage area is not controlled by a human player and Rome has a higher score than Carthage, then there is 75% chance Carthage will flip to Romans and Romans will get a small army spawned there.

- 80BC > Romans > Greece area > Roman civ have higher score than Greek civ>> then 75% chance of Greece area flip

- 30BC > Romans > Egypt area > Roman civ have score than Egyptian civ >> then 75% chance of Egypt flip

Using a series of conditional probabilistic city flips/unit spawns/boosts used for the AIs and directed only against the AIs, you can craft out behavior for the AI that isn't deterministic.

This way, instead of every game seeing Greece, Egypt and Carthage surviving the Roman Empire or every game seeing the Arabs not make it across the Maghreb, at least one out of every couple games, you'll see a semi-historical AI-controlled Roman or Arab empires.

TL: DR

AI Romans and AI Arabs have hard time replicating historical conquests. Giving AI Romans and AI Arabs probabilistic combinations of city flips, unit spawns and/or other boosts only when human-controlled civs aren't directly hurt by the boosts.

This way you don't have to make the Roman and Arab overpowered to play for human players while AIs still play badly with them.

9. Gruekiller

I notice that the Byzantines don't have a name for Tenochtitlan/Mexico City. (I know 'cause they're my vassal and just took the city. xD) Perhaps it should be called Mexikopoulos or something like that?

10. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

I am doing major revisions to CityNameManager in Synthesis, so when I am done with a new CityNameManager, Leoreth can feel free to use it. I'll post it here when I'm done for anyone who wants it.

Oh, and dcode, I like the idea. But why not just conquistador-like events instead?

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No, the city lists are only for the names you get when founding cities. Renaming acquired cities has its own routine that takes care of things like that.

I'm usually reading everything in the modmod forum currently :)

No, it's still only possible to switch to them during the game. Did they spawn for you but you didn't get the option to switch?

12. dcode147

dcode147 Warlord

Hey Leoreth, can you let me know what you think about my last post?

Also what about this idea?
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10160917#post10160917
    I think it might be a good solution to overpowered Medieval Germany.

Also, it seems like like in v1.71 Byzantines still spawn with spearmen in Northern Africa which severely prohibits Camel Archers. I just tested a game, and all I needed was to whip a couple units to easily defend every city from the Arabs. Can you make it so that it is impossible for the Byzantines to refuse the Jerusalem and Cairo flip? (I don't think Alexandria forced flip is necessary as fighting within Egypt is interesint)

13. Visard

Visard Warlord

Could this be solved by creating another terrain type "dry desert", like you did with capes. Normal deserts would always have floodplains when it is next to river. And the "dry deserts" would never have floodplains. So when city is founded on floodplains, the feature is removed. But when city is razed and it is on normal desert next to river the floodplains would return.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The general problem with your suggestions is that (1) they're a lot of work to implement because you have to anticipate several scenarios to pull it off believably, (2) you might still come across situation where the triggered effect doesn't make sense and (3) will be most often incrompehensible to the player, even if his civilization is not affected directly. This is even more the case for probabilistic events. What I can consider is to influence the starting situation more, i.e. making sure certain civs are alive or collapsed when you spawn.

On your Germany suggestion, I can only say what I always say, it doesn't make sense to discuss this until I've started implementing the split I'm planning.

It's a standard flip (it just happens later for flavour reasons), so why shouldn't they be able to refuse it? You usually lack the ability to fight the Arabs off there even without the additional flips anyway to my experience. Can't say anything about the Arab offensive capabilities against a player-controlled Northern Africa, in my games they didn't even try to attack there. I've just made the experience that when I remove the spearmen altogether, both cities get razed with in at least 90% of the games.

Besides, there should be a change to the Arab offensive behavior from 1.72 onwards, because now they get their capital moved and additional troops in either Baghdad or Cairo should both flip.

It could, but changing all relevant tiles is quite an amount of work.

15. keli

keli Prince

why did you remove the resources from northern africa? o_O

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I've removed the ivory because it's ahistorical (there were no African elephants in Northern Africa anymore) and the wheat because Tripolis became too large (it already has the fish available). Both resources were added by me in previous versions by the way, they don't exist in RFC.

By the way, I've found the reason why Russia doesn't go for Kyiv. I'll run a few test games to see how the situation develops.

17. Llama231

Llama231 Warlord

18. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Hmmm...

19. Gruekiller

Played Phoenicia on a 3000 BC start. :D It's the 16th Century and I'm still hanging on to life. I switched over to the democratic civics recently, so my stability is improving.

And who can forget the Caribbean colony of Thapsus?

20. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Wow, nice. But why all those poor city locations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.