Declassified Bush-Era Torture Memos

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Coming Soon: Declassified Bush-Era Torture Memos

Over objections from the U.S. intelligence community, the White House is moving to declassify—and publicly release—three internal memos that will lay out, for the first time, details of the "enhanced" interrogation techniques approved by the Bush administration for use against "high value" Qaeda detainees. The memos, written by Justice Department lawyers in May 2005, provide the legal rationale for waterboarding, head slapping and other rough tactics used by the CIA. One senior Obama official, who like others interviewed for this story requested anonymity because of the issue's sensitivity, said the memos were "ugly" and could embarrass the CIA. Other officials predicted they would fuel demands for a "truth commission" on torture.

Because of an executive order signed by President Obama on Jan. 22 banning such aggressive tactics, deputies to Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. concluded there was no longer any reason to keep the interrogation memos classified. But current and former intel officials pushed back, arguing that any public release might still compromise "sources and methods." According to the administration official, ex-CIA director Michael Hayden was "furious" about the prospect of disclosure and tried to intervene directly with Obama officials. But the White House has sided with Holder. Faced with a court deadline in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit regarding the memos filed by the ACLU, Justice lawyers asked for a two-week extension "because the memoranda are being reviewed for possible release." (White House, Justice and CIA spokesmen all declined to comment.)

The debate about torture ramped up again last week with an account in the New York Review of Books about a secret International Red Cross report that was delivered to the CIA in February 2007. The report, according to journalist Mark Danner, quotes detainees describing, often in gruesome detail, how they were locked in coffin-size boxes; swung by towels around their necks into plywood walls; and forced to stand naked for days while their arms were shackled above their heads.

"I now know we were not fully and completely briefed on the CIA program," Senate Intelligence Committee chairwoman Dianne Feinstein told NEWSWEEK. A U.S. official disputed the charge, claiming that members of Congress received more than 30 briefings over the life of the CIA program and that Congressional intel panels had seen the Red Cross report. But the CIA insisted that the report be treated as if it had higher than top-secret classification, precluding any public discussion of its contents. That's why declassification of the memos is significant, administration officials say: it would remove, at long last, the veil of secrecy about how detainees in the war on terror were actually treated.

© 2009

http://www.newsweek.com/id/190362

So how soon do you think Obama will be assasinated ?
Sigh and I had looked forward to the "war on the finiancial crisis" so we could start cutting up testicals and drowning people.

Seriously though CIA techniques for enhanced interrogation need to be reviewed and Bush administrations dirty secrets be made public. It will be interesting to see if the US presidental executive power was abused. Realisticly what the US gains in restoring it image it will probably lose out on intelligence some sort of balance must be reached.

I hope to see more digging into the Bush administration.

Wait, proof we waterboarded? Oh Noes!

Testimony of terrorists that make the US look bad?? Who would have guessed?!

According to the administration official
Don't trust him.
according to journalist Mark Danner
Who cares?
detainees describing
Total BS.

Labelling them "torture memos" just puts the icing on the cake.

Oh come on, it was torture, fair and square. I thought we were supposed to be better than that.

I all for this. How can I vote for the legal use of waterboarding by the CIA if i don't know about it?

Wait, proof we waterboarded? Oh Noes!

Sen McCain is full of it when he insist that waterboarding and stress position amount to torture because he had first hand experience and this was passed into law?
CIA destroys over 50 tapes of interrogation when instructed it should not do so?
The President deletes over 3 Million emails and the server side backup are also deleted?

Well at least the CIA were smart enough to delete the tapes, unlike the soldiers at Abugraiub.

Wait, wait...

Let me get my hanky so I can cry for unharmed known terrorists!

Would it be okay to kill civilians by smothering them?
Context is a wonderful thing.

Hey, I have an idea! When someone says something, let's take it totally out of context and then say stupid crap.

Yeah, uh, I don't want you ever see you whining about animal welfare again, Ecofarm.

Sen McCain is full of it when he insist that waterboarding and stress position amount to torture because he had first hand experience and this was passed into law?
CIA destroys over 50 tapes of interrogation when instructed it should not do so?
The President deletes over 3 Million emails and the server side backup are also deleted?

Well at least the CIA were smart enough to delete the tapes, unlike the soldiers at Abugraiub.

Dude, you do know a pretty key difference with what happen at Abu Ghraib. It's not fair to lump the two together.

I might have missed the context. What would you say it was?

Interrogating known terrorists.

But hey, feel free to act as if I think innocent grandmothers should be smothered in their sleep, because that's obviously the same thing.

Yeah, uh, I don't want you ever see you whining about animal welfare again, Ecofarm. -Bill
I'm fine with enhanced interogation techniques being used against animals that are known terrorists.

And I could give a crap what you want.

Dude, you do know a pretty key difference with what happen at Abu Ghraib. It's not fair to lump the two together.

Sure it is. Both are war crimes. End of story.

Interrogating known terrorists.

But hey, feel free to act as if I think innocent grandmothers should be smothered in their sleep, because that's obviously the same thing.

By interrogating do you mean asking questions or do you mean waterboarding, etc.?

Ecofarm said:
I'm fine with enhanced interogation techniques being used against animals that are known terrorists.
Right. You're fine with torture. So no anti-animal cruelty laws for you.

Incoherence, thy name is Ecofarm.

They were capruted on the battlefield fighting against the US in support of terrorists. Further, we have plenty of information on exactly who they are and what they do. If you are actually ignorant about this, feel free to examine the dosier of those who were waterboarded.

Right. You're fine with torture. So no anti-animal cruelty laws for you.

Incoherence, thy name is Ecofarm.

Right. Because I support interrogating terrorists with information that could save thousands of innocent lives, then I must be fine with being cruel to animals. I will not write thy name, Bill, for fear of infraction.

They were capruted on the battlefield fighting against the US in support of terrorists. Further, we have plenty of information on exactly who they are and what they do. If you are actually ignorant about this, feel free to examine the dosier of those who were waterboarded.

Irrelevant, torture is banned under every circumstance, based on the fact that all humans have inherent dignity which cannot be taken away.

I don't think waterboarding is "torture". Certainly not the same as real torture. Tough.

You act as if known terrorists are the same as an innocent little bunny. Sad.

Dosier? How was that information obtained?
Common knowledge. They admitted to and claimed acts of terrorism long before they were captured. Do you have NO idea who was waterboarded? Look it up.

Top Bottom