DMOC's DEITY Game #1 - Gandhi

Man, looking at the map screenshot your land really got the short end of the resource stick. :lol:

I don't really have any major advice... not much you can do at this point but run scientists and plant cottages.

In the short term, since you're researching Aesthetics, think it'd be worth taking a shot at the Schwedagon Paya? You have gold, is it worth it the hammers? It seems pretty unlikely that you'll want to adopt a religion for long in this situation, +10% :science: and extra happiness would be a nice alternative to wasteful Paganism.

Of course with Deity AI I have no idea what time it falls at, and it certainly won't right your economy all by itself. Just throwing it out there. :p

Man, looking at the map screenshot your land really got the short end of the resource stick. :lol:

I don't really have any major advice... not much you can do at this point but run scientists and plant cottages.

In the short term, since you're researching Aesthetics, think it'd be worth taking a shot at the Schwedagon Paya? You have gold, is it worth it the hammers? It seems pretty unlikely that you'll want to adopt a religion for long in this situation, +10% :science: and extra happiness would be a nice alternative to wasteful Paganism.

Of course with Deity AI I have no idea what time it falls at, and it certainly won't right your economy all by itself. Just throwing it out there. :p

I am thinking about some wonders but I was actually thinking of the Statue of Zeus. I have Ivory, and monuments, so I was thinking of building it in Vijarasomethingsomething for even more culture.

The main downside to the Schwedagon Paya is that if I go to free religion, that means the AI's won't demand I keep switching to their state religions. I WANT those demands to come for easy diplomatic points (and I'm Spiritual). Yes, kind of ironic I WANT demands. :crazyeye: Although I could build SP for the extra gold if someone else builds it.

With regards to the GS, I reckon you've got two choices, the first one is short term, settle him in the capital for the extra hammer and to keep research humming along. The second is more longterm, but I would advocate it as it has two great effects. My suggestion is to build an academy in Vajayniagara falls (or whatever its called), firstly because due to the food, gold and riverside grassland it could be cottaged for a great science generating city whilst still potentially running some scientists, secondly it frees up delhi to be more of a production city which, with all those hills and cows giving production, i think it is more suited to. And finally an cademy gives you a whopping PLUS4! (that's right ladies 4!) culture(8 after 1000 yrs right?), meaning you may even potentially be able to flip, or at least severely restrict and steal some tiles off of cyrus' nearby cities. You wont get such a big immediate boost, but in the long run this one may pay off BIG TIME! good luck!

you have same luck as gliese with maps :p

the gs is obviously for settling given the low slider and philo. Only question is if in pataliputra or vija...

I'd build both soz and paya for cash, while trying to actually nab soz in vija. After that, chew bubble and head to lib...

*Disclaimer: I'm only an Emperor.*

I've got some doubts about your aesthetics beeline. In my experience Ramesses is highly likely to go there himself and build the associated wonders as well (he's pretty much the biggest wonderwhore in existence, save for maybe Louis XIV), which would decrease the value of aesthetics in trades and you'd have to beat him to the wonders you want.

It's pretty much a gambit what you're doing here. I think he's likely to go either Theology or Aesthetics, there's a chance it might work but you're not certain of it. But that's just my opinion, and I would be at a loss in this situation. So feel free to ignore it. ;)

If you're not planning on producting many units from it, cottage Pataliputra. With an extra two happiness (e.g. a temple and a calender resource) you can grow it to size 8 fairly quickly, working the stone, riverside elephants, 4 cottaged floodplains and two scientists. Gaining two happiness should be doable in the near future. In the meantime, the cottages will grow, and with another 3 good riverside grassland tiles, it could be a great early science/commerce city.

With regards to the GS, I reckon you've got two choices, the first one is short term, settle him in the capital for the extra hammer and to keep research humming along. The second is more longterm, but I would advocate it as it has two great effects. My suggestion is to build an academy in Vajayniagara falls (or whatever its called), firstly because due to the food, gold and riverside grassland it could be cottaged for a great science generating city whilst still potentially running some scientists, secondly it frees up delhi to be more of a production city which, with all those hills and cows giving production, i think it is more suited to. And finally an cademy gives you a whopping PLUS4! (that's right ladies 4!) culture(8 after 1000 yrs right?), meaning you may even potentially be able to flip, or at least severely restrict and steal some tiles off of cyrus' nearby cities. You wont get such a big immediate boost, but in the long run this one may pay off BIG TIME! good luck!

Yes, culture doubles after 1,000 years (and doubles for the NEXT 1000 years as well). The big question is whether settling short-term LEADS to a better long term by having techs quicker.

you have same luck as gliese with maps :p

the gs is obviously for settling given the low slider and philo. Only question is if in pataliputra or vija...

I'd build both soz and paya for cash, while trying to actually nab soz in vija. After that, chew bubble and head to lib...

The city I settle it in probably won't matter much. Why not the capital so it gets an extra hammer and then when I eventually get another academy (maybe 2nd GS?) I could put it in the capital. The capital's going to be my super GP farm city so all the scientists I run could lend to a high research rate.

*Disclaimer: I'm only an Emperor.*

I've got some doubts about your aesthetics beeline. In my experience Ramesses is highly likely to go there himself and build the associated wonders as well (he's pretty much the biggest wonderwhore in existence, save for maybe Louis XIV), which would decrease the value of aesthetics in trades and you'd have to beat him to the wonders you want.

It's pretty much a gambit what you're doing here. I think he's likely to go either Theology or Aesthetics, there's a chance it might work but you're not certain of it. But that's just my opinion, and I would be at a loss in this situation. So feel free to ignore it. ;)

I'm not too sure how Ramesses II behaves in terms of techs. The problem is that I can't think of a better tech for trading fodder. Alphabet is an option, but AI's are far more likely to go to Alphabet themselves before Aesthetics.

If you're not planning on producting many units from it, cottage Pataliputra. With an extra two happiness (e.g. a temple and a calender resource) you can grow it to size 8 fairly quickly, working the stone, riverside elephants, 4 cottaged floodplains and two scientists. Gaining two happiness should be doable in the near future. In the meantime, the cottages will grow, and with another 3 good riverside grassland tiles, it could be a great early science/commerce city.

I'll get to that next round. I'll just finish the second farm I'm making (faster growth) and then it should be cottages from there.

I'm not too sure how Ramesses II behaves in terms of techs. The problem is that I can't think of a better tech for trading fodder. Alphabet is an option, but AI's are far more likely to go to Alphabet themselves before Aesthetics.

On second thought, Aesthetics is probably your best shot because Wang or Cyrus are less likely to go there and Ramesses is not very trade-happy. As you said, Alphabet is much more likely to backfire and there are no other tradefodder techs the AI usually ignores.

Crazy idea: After Aesthetics, go for Drama for extra trade fodder. It's also a way to get a much-coveted Philosophy bulb. CoL is more likely to hit the markets soon as Cyrus already has it and Wang will likely get it soon as well (CS favorite civic?). It would give you more trade options.

if you want trade fodder, 2nd after aestethics, usually is compass. Those two are usually the best bets, but normally you need aestethics to pickup iw so you can research compass.

On second thought, Aesthetics is probably your best shot because Wang or Cyrus are less likely to go there and Ramesses is not very trade-happy. As you said, Alphabet is much more likely to backfire and there are no other tradefodder techs the AI usually ignores.

Crazy idea: After Aesthetics, go for Drama for extra trade fodder. It's also a way to get a much-coveted Philosophy bulb. CoL is more likely to hit the markets soon as Cyrus already has it and Wang will likely get it soon as well (CS favorite civic?). It would give you more trade options.

Wang already switched to Caste System. :cry:

if you want trade fodder, 2nd after aestethics, usually is compass. Those two are usually the best bets, but normally you need aestethics to pickup iw so you can research compass.

I'll think about that. I rarely reserach it early on but once again I'll need to see the tech situation first.

I missed your last update, just read it now, you're doing fine. I wouldn't mind losing that jungle city, once it'll be great, that time is very far away now. You have a rather small empire with reasonable land. In Ramesses you have a very good neighbour, if you time it right you should be able to double your lands by taking him out. I'm undecided myself if you need to wait until the renaissance or if you can take him out earlier with a good stack of trebs.

Thanks for the comments. I'm more inclined to wait until the Renaissance because by then, Ramesses II will probably make more wonders for me to capture. A second reason would be that right now, any more units will kill maintenance. Finally, Gandhi's philosophical trait can help me get the Liberalism techs quickly and get me in the Renaissance.

What happend with civ friday ? Iam really looking for another progres, btw it would be nice christmas gift to see some more of this game :)

Looking at the map, the only person you really need to worry about is Cyrus. Wang has lame land (Not so much lame, but lacking major production and commerce) while Ramesses II will only use his production for wonder spamming. Cyrus has an amazing capital and some pretty good production. If you can take out Ramesses with Muskets or Cavalry, you should try to nab some of Cyrus' cities as well. He'll be a threat.

Looking at the map, the only person you really need to worry about is Cyrus. Wang has lame land (Not so much lame, but lacking major production and commerce) while Ramesses II will only use his production for wonder spamming. Cyrus has an amazing capital and some pretty good production. If you can take out Ramesses with Muskets or Cavalry, you should try to nab some of Cyrus' cities as well. He'll be a threat.

Good, you and I are on the same page here. :goodjob:

I've started playing but didn't finish the round.

EDIT: Okay, the round is over. I'll post it some time in the near future.

Round 5: 875 BC to 110 BC (42 Turns) - India's Two Scientists

Part 1

Turn 125/875 BC

To start off the round, I switched Varanaisi to build a granary. I did remind myself to switch back to building a library for 1 turn to prevent decay later on. I think buildings start to decay after 15 turns on epic speed -- correct?

Turn 126/850 BC

Christianity has been founded in a distant land. Good, that means that the other continent has a second religion to hopefully cause strife.

Turn 127/825 BC

I connected the second cows this turn and I set a trade with Ramesses II for his sugars. Can you believe that I have a monopoly on cows?

Turn 128/800 BC

Wang completes the Buddhist shrine. Not good....

Turn 129/775 BC

I switch to Judaism this turn to please Ramesses II. I didn't want to stay in NoStateReligion because then Egypt could possibly declare war on me. And in any case, I had a feeling that a war between Cyrus and Wang would initiate soon which would eliminate the need to please the two of them any more.

Turn 130/750 BC

And it did!

Turn 132/700 BC

I suddenly get a peek at Ramesses II's research, and I see that he's 1 turn away from finishing Theology. But after that, the image of Theology disappeared! I check the espionage screen and it shows that I am about 10 points behind the threshold to see his research so I have no idea why that happened (and no, the threshold did not increase from last turn). But I'm not complaining.

Turn 135/625 BC

I hate it when these things happen.

This was a tough decision. I could join the war on Cy's side and get a unit up to 10 XP for Heroic Epic. But I would also be getting demerits with WK. In the end, I refused, because Cy already has a -3 towards WK because WK was the one who declared war. A -3 outweighs a -1 in this case. And if I declared war on WK, he would give me a -3. Therefore, if the two made peace, I would be stuck with demerits with Wang and Cy wouldn't have any because he was not the one who declared war.

Ram continues to wonderspam.

Turn 138/550 BC

My first Great Scientist is born. I used him for an academy because my economy was improving and the slider was able to remain at 100% research longer. I also didn't want to bulb Mathematics just yet.

Turn 140/500 BC

I negotiate this deal with Ram since he obtained Currency the previous turn.

Turn 142/470 BC

Finally! :lol:

The next tech was a tough one for me to pick. In the end, I chose Polytheism.

I eliminated Fishing, IW, HBR, and MC from the list immediately. Then, I spent some more time considering the other technologies, but decided that:

• Meditation could come later as it's main purpose for me is to unlock Philosophy
  • Drama could also come later because I wasn't ready to make theatres and the Great Library was a higher priority for me
  • Mathematics was a bit too expensive to research right now, and again, I wanted the Great Library first
  • Alphabet was going to be researched by the AI's soon anyway so why bother researching it?
  • Masonry has little to no purpose at all -- I have a stone resource, yes, but I'm not planning on building any stone wonders or walls

Turn 143/455 BC

A Great General was born in a far away land. Since I have visibility of every single one of WK and Cy's cities, the GG must have been born on the other continent. Good!

At the same time, I finally found WK's stack of doom.

Why is it all the way down there and not attacking the capital directly? I cannot fathom this. :crazyeye:

Turn 144/440 BC

I finished Polytheism and started to research Mathematics to get better chops for the Great Library. However I would switch this in 2 turns (I think) because WK ended up building the Statue of Zeus, so I knew that I needed to hurry to Literature.

Turn 149/365 BC

Cyrus actually loses a city! That's got to be embarrasing for him. :lol:

Turn 150/350 BC

WK and Cy make peace this turn. But...get this...WK actually GIFTS BACK to Cy the city WK just captured!!! Then what was the point of declaring war in the first place? :crazyeye:

Turn 151/335 BC

I finish Literature and start Drama for the Globe Theatre and for trading fodder. Ram also completes the Apostolic Palace in his capital. I vote for him to gain +2 diplomatic points.

Turn 152/320 BC

WK gets the Shwedagon Paya. It seems like the other continent doens't have an Industrious civ over there.

Turn 155/275 BC

Cy finally gets Alphabet! And it only took him close to 4000 years. And the good news? He has no Aesthetics!

Turn 156/260 BC

WK and Ram all get Alphabet this turn! I hope they didn't tech trade behind my back. Anyway, here's the deastating tech situation:

Yeah, I know, not pretty. But it will get better soon! I promise.

I give Aesthetics to Cy:

That's 2 techs he's giving me so I will have to remember that for WFYABTA. The funny thing with this trade is, I didn't even get demerits with WK for trading with his worst enemy! Now that's weird. I can never tell if I'm going to get demerits or not.

Turn 159/215 BC

I obtain my second Great Scientist:

I saved Socrates for a bit, and you'll find out why.

Turn 164/140 BC

Woo hoo! I rarely get stuff like this:

WK is trying to give me a nice, fat, juicy tech for free? This guy is just begging to lose.

Now, up until this point, I had held off trading Literature and Drama since I wanted to be sure that I got the Great Library. After chopping the wonder within 1 turn of completion, I know it is safe to start trading (finally!). I traded with all 3 AI's and will let the screenshots do the talking:

And I do have iron, which was, predictably, in that non-forest tile in Delhi.

Turn 165/125 BC

Like last turn, a lot of things happened during this year. I first completed Meditation and began to research Civil Service in anticipation of going up the Paper-Education-Liberalism route.

And after some nail-biting (I had no control over the other continent's decisions), I completed my wonder, which would hire 2 permanent scientists up to Scientific Method.

Since I finished Meditation, Mathematics, Alphabet, and Drama, Socrates could now lightbulb Philosophy! I was propelled into the Medieval era.

I switched my state religion back to Judaism (I believe I switched out of it at one point in the round, maybe for culture reasons or something), and then did anarchy-free civic switches to Hereditary Rule (thank WK for that :lol:), Caste System, and Pacifism.

On the next turn, I ended the round.

[To be continued in next post]

Round 5

Part 2

Here's some information about the game:

Tech:

Glance:

GNP: :crazyeye:

Delhi (once the settler is complete, I plan to grow the city quite a bit and then hire lots and lots of scientists):

The map:

My projected city site, which will have the Globe Theatre in it for drafting purposes along with farms on its grasslands.

Well, that's all there is. I've got some extra stuff:

• Culture wars are going well and will be with Jewish temples (that have +2 hammers) and theatres coming up
  • City 6 will be coming up shortly to get me to my goal
  • Wang Kon and I now have a favorite civic bonus
  • I can trade gold for Ram's sugar for more happiness
  • Egypt and Persia have 7 cities and Korea has 8, which is a good balance for the AI's

So, what should my plan be? I'm thinking of getting 2 Great Scientists out of the capital to double-bulb Education. In the event that I can get a third GS quickly, should I do something with my next GS (assuming that the 2nd and 3rd GS I obtain can lightbulb Education together?) like settle in the capital for the extra beakers. Remember, the capital has an academy and a library so the settled GS will give out more than its standard 6 beakers even at 0%research. Or, if any AI gets too close to Liberalism, I can use the 3rd GS to bulb Liberalism directly if I avoid Machinery. But the bottom line is that my first GS is coming in 8 turns. What do I do?

That's my plan regarding scientists. Now, what about tech trading? I have Philosophy on everyone and judging by my experiment trades, no AI has started researching it yet. This means I can get big, fat, juicy techs out of them. Some target techs for me might be Currency and Metal Casting (we have gold to make forges more appealing).

So how do you think I'm doing? I'm generating about 110 :science: +/- 10:science: at 100% research and I can run 100% research for about 4-5 turns and then switch back to 0% for another 4-5 turns to even things out. Research will increase with all the happy room we have, and that I have sent my scientists in my other cities to work farms and cottages instead to grow the cities more. Power is lame, of course (see the scoreboard!) but who cares about that? I'm actually surprised that I'm at 0.2 -- I'd be expecting to be at 0.1 (aka 10 percent of their power) at this point. But again, I don't care about my military at all pre-Liberalism so I don't bother building pointless archers/axes/swords/warriors/spears, etc. I mean, my capital is guarded by a single warrior or archer as are most of my other cities. :lol:

The saved game:

Attachments

• DMOC Deity Gandhi BC-0110.CivBeyondSwordSave
    209.5 KB · Views: 116
Top Bottom