• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Do you believe in the American exceptionalism

Do you believe in an American exceptionalism

• Yes i do believe in an American exceptionalism

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No i dont believe in an American exceptionalism

Votes: 82 71.9%
  • Other (Please explane below)

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
What exactly are you trying to say?
I thought I made it fairly self-evident in my reply to Junius: that I do not consider some accumulation of virtuous acts, whatever the size, to redeem wicked acts that the virtuous acts were in no way dependent upon. It is at least feasible, whatever one's own opinions, to defend, say, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as necessary evils. The quarter million or so civilians who died during or as a result of the Philippine-American War? Not so much.

Funny. The UK has never had any dictators and was formed earlier than the United States was. Even the Kingdoms of England and Scotland only had a couple for a total of eleven years and that was 360 years ago. I'm also of the opinion that it's actually China producing the majority of the world's manufactured goods.
Unfortunately, most of China's "manufactured goods" are total crap, often hazardous, because they don't care... they are exporting it, after exploiting their people, abroad... it's a double whammy.

I thought I made it fairly self-evident in my reply to Junius: that I do not consider some accumulation of virtuous acts, whatever the size, to redeem wicked acts that the virtuous acts were in no way dependent upon. It is at least feasible, whatever one's own opinions, to defend, say, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as necessary evils. The quarter million or so civilians who died during or as a result of the Philippine-American War? Not so much.

Is anyone trying to "redeem" the U.S? It doesn't even seem Junius is.

The pain and suffering nations have inflicted upon one another is tragic and terrible; the U.S. being no exception in that regard, but that doesn't mean we have to dismiss the progress we have so clearly made as a species, especially in the last hundred years.

If you're trying to "redeem" every nation on the planet for its acts of inhumanity then you're going to be severely disappointed.

I believe in American exceptionalism and I believe that any action taken by the American state is justified because it is an action taken by the American state.

No, I'm not joking.

I believe in American exceptionalism and I believe that any action taken by the American state is justified because it is an action taken by the American state.

No, I'm not joking.

I wouldn't expect anything less out of you, or any other American for that matter.

USA #1

Hey, I'm an American, and I think any action taken by the American state is UNjustified unless they spell out damned good reasons first. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't trust people who say "don't worry man, we're good for it, trust us, it's for the best".

Is anyone trying to "redeem" the U.S? It doesn't even seem Junius is.

The pain and suffering nations have inflicted upon one another is tragic and terrible; the U.S. being no exception in that regard, but that doesn't mean we have to dismiss the progress we have so clearly made as a species, especially in the last hundred years.

If you're trying to "redeem" every nation on the planet for its acts of inhumanity then you're going to be severely disappointed.
You misunderstand; I'm not saying that anyone here is consciously trying to "redeem" the United States (Junius certainly doesn't seem to be doing), but that it is dishonest to sweep the destructive influence that any given state, nation or power has had on the human race by discussing history in terms of "overall" influence, as if a (morally) positive historical role can be declared simply by tallying up all the good and bad deeds attributed to that entity.

No, I'm not joking.
It is now my life's mission to get the federal government to officially endorse the work of Gavin Menzies, just to see if I can make Dachs' brains come out of his nose. :D

You misunderstand; I'm not saying that anyone here is consciously trying to "redeem" the United States (Junius certainly doesn't seem to be doing), but that it is dishonest to sweep the destructive influence that any given state, nation or power has had on the human race by discussing history in terms of "overall" influence, as if a (morally) positive historical role can be declared simply by tallying up all the good and bad deeds attributed to that entity.

It's dishonest to "sweep" the destructive influence that any given state has had by saying those states have also had a lot of constructive influence?

It's dishonest to "sweep" the destructive influence that any given state has had by saying those states have also had a lot of constructive influence?
It is dishonest to reduce their entire historical influence, through an "overall" examination, to that constructive "surplus", if you will.

I wouldn't expect anything less out of you, or any other American for that matter.

USA #1
Last I checked, California isn't independent anymore, so unless you think you are above or different from your countrymen, you called yourself arrogant. It really offends me that people think all Americans are social and political ******s, that we just sit back at McDonalds and forget about the world. The fact that we have a black president and are moving in a progressive direction, amongst other things, shows this isn't the case. We don't have to constantly be on the political edge or trend to have valid ideas. Not everyone is a flag wavin', immigrant hatin', Koran burnin' "redneck". The vast majority isn't like that, in fact.

Traitorfish and Theige

I think Britain and the USA have both had an overall positive influence on human development.

/neutral opinion.

Now kiss and make up.

Traitorfish and Theige

I think Britain and the USA have both had an overall positive influence on human development.

/neutral opinion.

Now kiss and make up.
I'm not contesting the conclusion, I'm contesting the logic. It's easy to argue that countries like the UK, US, and so on, have had an "overall" positive influence, but to do so you have to first accept the legitimacy of an "overall" moral influence as a concept, and it's that which I dispute. It's not possible to reduce the complexity of history in such a manner and walk away with anything meaningful, or, in this case, ethically satisfying.

Last I checked, California isn't independent anymore, so unless you think you are above or different from your countrymen, you called yourself arrogant. It really offends me that people think all Americans are social and political ******s, that we just sit back at McDonalds and forget about the world. The fact that we have a black president and are moving in a progressive direction, amongst other things, shows this isn't the case. We don't have to constantly be on the political edge or trend to have valid ideas. Not everyone is a flag wavin', immigrant hatin', Koran burnin' "redneck". The vast majority isn't like that, in fact.
You know how some people miss the point? Yeah, you should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

I'm not contesting the conclusion, I'm contesting the logic. It's easy to argue that countries like the UK, US, and so on, have had an "overall" positive influence, but to do so you have to first accept the legitimacy of an "overall" moral influence as a concept, and it's that which I dispute. It's not possible to reduce the complexity of history in such a manner and walk away with anything meaningful, or, in this case, ethically satisfying.

I don't know why you're making this about "morals" and "ethics."

I'm not all that interested in discussing either, and I'm certainly not interested in imposing my morals or ethics upon men who lived a century or more ago.

I don't know why you're making this about "morals" and "ethics."

I'm not all that interested in discussing either, and I'm certainly not interested in imposing my morals or ethics upon men who lived a century or more ago.
But you said yourself, "America's influence on the planet, overall, has been positive", and what is that if not a moral judgement?

A statement of fact.
In what sense does "positive" constitute an objective description? Unless you're suggesting that the US has a habit of sucking electrons away from other countries, I can't see it as anything other than a moral judgement.

In what sense does "positive" constitute an objective description? Unless you're suggesting that the US has a habit of sucking electrons away from other countries, I can't see it as anything other than a moral judgement.

Compared to the alternative, I have to agree with Theige.

Compared to the alternative, I have to agree with Theige.
As do I... America has brought way more good than ill... The help in freeing hundreds of millions in the Cold War (or at least, giving them the opportunity).
Helping in the defeat of Nazi Germany, pretty huge.
Help in defeating Kaiser's Germany (not as huge, but noteworthy).
And, let's not forget, the massive increase in quality of life around the world, in not only material items, but individual freedom (which to me way outweighs the material comforts our inventions have provided).

For all its warts and pimples, America is still profoundly awesome. This doesn't mean myriad other countries aren't contributing...

:D

You seem to be arguing that we cannot make any moral judgement about an agent when that agent performs actions of different moral value at different times. If we take your reasoning seriously, we could not say that 'Nelson Mandela' had an 'overall positive influence' because Nelson Mandela performed some bad acts rather early in his career (namely, during his period as para-military). That saying 'Nelson Mandela is (or has overall engendered) good' sweeps these instances of wickedness (and we can surely find instances of wickedness in any life) 'under the carpet' . I think this is an absurd conclusion;we can make such moral judgments. Those judgments naturally don't bring out detail, but there is no necessity that they do.

Perhaps a more credible position is to argue that 'America' is not a moral agent. We can only make judgments on morality regarding moral agents, and the only moral agents are people. America, not being a person, is therefore not possible to judge moralistically.

Top Bottom