DOMA struck down by courts, gay marriage likely legal in CA again

That's nice in a fantasy world.

In real life, I'd love to be able to find one state that's actually, truly free.

But it's not fantasy, thats kind of the basis of the EU (at least in regards to travelling and healthcare).

But do shows us where your libertarian state exists and maybe after you've done that you can tell us how it's "nice" to live in a "fantasy world", although the rest of us know you would struggle to find even one.

I continue to believe the closest we have seen to doing things the libertarian way was early 1900s USA. No business regulations, states could treat whoever they wanted as second class citizens, and non-existent social safety net. I for one am just sad I missed out on my chance to die as a child in a factory in paradise.

I continue to believe the closest we have seen to doing things the libertarian way was early 1900s USA. No business regulations, states could treat whoever they wanted as second class citizens, and non-existent social safety net. I for one am just sad I missed out on my chance to die as a child in a factory in paradise.

The free market has helped us grow out of that. The fact that it has been curtailed by leftists, and, when it comes to the military industrial complex, conservatives, has slowed down growth but hasn't managed to stop it. So we are still better off, at least fiscally, than we were back then, but that's in spite of the regulations you support, not because of them.

The free market has helped us grow out of that. The fact that it has been curtailed by leftists, and, when it comes to the military industrial complex, conservatives, has slowed down growth but hasn't managed to stop it. So we are still better off, at least fiscally, than we were back then, but that's in spite of the regulations you support, not because of them.

No, the free market didnt. In fact in countries where it is still allowed the free market continues nearly the same brutal practices it used to do in the west a 100 years ago. THe pattern has continued ever since industrialization began, as soon as citizens demand and the government starts to enforce basic decency, they begin to flee to the next area they can roll back the clock. As soon as China begins they will just go else where.

I guess "out of sight out of mind" is "growing out of it" to the idealist libertarian mind.

The free market has helped us grow out of that.
No, the Progressive movement helped us grow out of that.

So we are still better off, at least fiscally, than we were back then, but that's in spite of the regulations you support, not because of them.
I dunno. I'm glad to know that my drinking water is clean, the food actually includes what is said on the packaging, and that companies are not knowingly selling me rotten flesh.
I also enjoy established methods to legal recourse (which quite simply didn't exist in 1900 America for the poor), well-maintained national infrastructure, and a social safety net allowing me to leave a violent and abusive job in the knowledge my family would not starve to death.

I realize it might clash with the libertarian paradise you have built in your mind, but I highly recommend that you read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. You can ignore the later parts where Sinclair goes into Commie-mode, but I would encourage you to read the book, look at the problems the main character and his family suffer, and then tell me how the 'free market' would have resolved those problems.

The free market subject to increasing regulation has helped us grow out of the problems we encountered when we were the closest to an unregulated free market? GW is learning!

Where are you slotting the Pinkertons into all that, I wonder?
That's all apparently part of the wonder of the free market system. The strikers should have hired their own armed thugs while similarly paying off the police and politicians to not intercede against them.

That's all apparently part of the wonder of the free market system. The strikers should have hired their own armed thugs while similarly paying off the police and politicians to not intercede against them.

My details on what exactly happened are fuzzy, so I'll get back to it after I research it again.

However, I will say, a proper free market does not include violence. Using violence against someone isn't part of the free market.

@JR- If we weren't regulating it, we'd have grown faster. We've still grown some in spite of people who believe like you do, not because of them.

Wouldn't we still have all the 19th century problems?
Given how much Dommy claims to hate theft, had he lived in the 19th century I'd be willing to place money on a bet that we would see him singing the Internationale.

Oh a "proper" free market, I guess it's easy to support marketplace anarchy when you only picture your dreamworld version of it and not what actually occurred.

@JR- If we weren't regulating it, we'd have grown faster. We've still grown some in spite of people who believe like you do, not because of them.

That's one of the most hilariously sweeping, context-free, baseless bits of wishful thinking I have ever seen masquerade as an actual argument.

I wonder how many stock market crashes, recessions, and disgraced economists it takes to show that the free market system is actually infallible and doesn't require any regulation.

No response on the Pinkertons, then?

Strike is a Bolshie thing. Bleeding-heart liberal leftists are always all teary about strikes, but people who know their history see the spectre of Bolshevik violence, tyranny and brutality behind every strike, and they greet with honor those brave men who stand up armed against that spectre before it completely assumes its victorious, brutal form.

I dunno. I'm glad to know that my drinking water is clean, the food actually includes what is said on the packaging, and that companies are not knowingly selling me rotten flesh.

There is such a thing as fraud, and its a form of theft. Just saying.

There is such a thing as fraud, and its a form of theft. Just saying.
Funny how contaminants in and the debasing of food only really stopped when we got around to regulating the food industry. Now it really only occurs in countries that lack food regulations.
Even if you go into a local 7-11 and get one of those nasty 'Spicy Queso Burrito' baking under the heat lamp, you know that medically, it is safe to eat. (Whether it will make your digestive track hate you is a completely different matter.)

Plus, how would you test food for contaminants? Do you own your own food-testing laboratory?

Yea who actually investigates these things? Its nice to call it fraud and everything but who is finding and punishing that fraud if you gut all the so called worthless regulations?

Calling it fraud is all he can do. Regulations are here to stay and i wouldn't personally trust a business to not intentionally rip me off, they already do so legally, but apparently Dommy does.

Top Bottom