Election 2024 Part III: Out with the old!

Who do you think will win in November?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Tbf Hiding from interviews is likely Trumps only option now. His most recent town hall he short circuited for like 40 min. For all the bluster about Biden supposedly having dementia that's mostly normal old age things Trump just had a tell tale moment of it. It's what my Grandmother used to to earlier in her diagnosis, lose her place entirely. Harris absolutely should hammer on this point though.

Listen to the question.
Listen to the "answer".
Look at the face of the person asking the question ... "day of love"
the audience is pretty classic "wtf is he talking about". LOL he keeps running against Biden.

Listen to the question.
Listen to the "answer".
6 minutes of rambling, grievance, lying and complaining about the 2020 election, without answering the question or saying anything substantive, as usual.

Listen to the question.
Listen to the "answer".
I'm not sure that helped Trump with Hispanics. "Climate change is not important but Kamala Harris will get us into nuclear war!"

She swept away any criticism about her not taking interviews, because now even the FOX News faithful will recognize that they saw her do an interview, because she came onto their network. Even Trump fans will know that she was courageous to come onto FOX and take a tough interview. Bret Baier went after her, as expected from FOX News interviewing a Democratic candidate, and she stayed poised and comfortable, in control of the interview the entire time. Baier was flailing and desperate to land some blow against her, he completely failed and it was obvious.
I think it may help her even with people who don't watch the interview. Just hearing that she was willing to go on Fox may make a favorable impression since for years now, neither side has bothered engaging the other side by agreeing to an interview by the hostile network. It's the opposite of Hillary's "deplorables" comment. It signals that you want to be president for all Americans. It signals that you have the courage of your own convictions. It showed that she can hold her own in an unfriendly environment (women have to prove that they're tough; men enjoy the assumption that they are). In correcting Baier, she got to say things that right-siloed people might not previously even have heard about Trump. It's unlikely, in itself, to have actually won her a vote, but neither will it have lost her one, and it may add in an incremental way to people's positive impressions of her.

She can, for rest of the campaign call Trump a coward, both for dodging a second debate with her and for not being willing to submit himself to such hostile questioning.

Edit: Remorseless made some of the same points while I was typing.

Moderator Action: Back to topic. Several posts deleted. Take it offline if you wish, but keep it away from here. Enough to worry about in this world to have to worry about each other. Cheers - lymond

I think it may help her even with people who don't watch the interview. Just hearing that she was willing to go on Fox may make a favorable impression since for years now, neither side has bothered engaging the other side by agreeing to an interview by the hostile network. It's the opposite of Hillary's "deplorables" comment. It signals that you want to be president for all Americans. It signals that you have the courage of your own convictions. It showed that she can hold her own in an unfriendly environment (women have to prove that they're tough; men enjoy the assumption that they are). In correcting Baier, she got to say things that right-siloed people might not previously even have heard about Trump. It's unlikely, in itself, to have actually won her a vote, but neither will it have lost her one, and it may add in an incremental way to people's positive impressions of her.

She can, for rest of the campaign call Trump a coward, both for dodging a second debate with her and for not being willing to submit himself to such hostile questioning.

Edit: Remorseless made some of the same points while I was typing.
There was another point in the interview where Baier tries to bait her by accusing her of calling Trump supporters "stupid", "dumb" or similar... as in "Are you saying that Trump voters are stupid?" and her excellent response was to immediately become aghast and respond "Of course not, I would never say such a thing about the American people!" To your point, a stark contrast with Hillary Clinton's infamous "deplorables" comment. Harris then went on to reference how Trump in fact, does constantly insult and degrade the American people who he sees as opponents, calling them "the enemy within" and similar, along with the usual barrage of calling people dumb, stupid, etc.

Brett made a huge mistake by interrupting Harris repeatedly. Women hate men who interrupt them or try to "mansplain" something. It may not make much of a difference to Fox viewers, but undecided women might view this and turn away from Donald the clown.

Harris did well in the interview, and hopefully she will bring this up in campaign speeches, pointing out how Benedict Donald is ducking interviews left, right, and center.
So if I'm reading you right: Harris doesn't actually answer the questions that are asked (preferring to answer the one she wished she was) and so thus Baier is "manspaining" when trying to get her to answer what he asked...?
Is this what you mean?

Though I assume there is some sort of strategy here beyond conducting an interview, that I am missing. (rarely do I understand much of anything in this post-ideological world). Presumably it is to willingly get "beat up" on Fox, exclaim how mean they are and this only proves it, and thus have justification to never have to talk to them again. So why do it to begin with...

Ok now for a more serious question:

How does Kamala Harris become any better at interviews after this?

Though I assume there is some sort of strategy here beyond conducting an interview, that I am missing
I think the primary intention was really simple: win over Trump supporters. She's consistently said she wants to earn all votes. This has been said regarding every demographic. I don't really see a good reason to doubt her sincerity about that. Perhaps that it is doubted or frequently not even given consideration of having even potential sincerity is a sign of the times.

The other potentially influential factor, secondary to that, would be to stop the narrative she is hiding from the media. It is more difficult to argue that now.

BTW: times are more ideological than ever before!

Other thing is the interview gets headlines. And she didn't screw it up.

Worst thing a politician can have is a quiet news day. Hence Trump's outrage comments. Gets people talking and spotlight on him.

Tbf Hiding from interviews is likely Trumps only option now. His most recent town hall he short circuited for like 40 min. For all the bluster about Biden supposedly having dementia that's mostly normal old age things Trump just had a tell tale moment of it. It's what my Grandmother used to to earlier in her diagnosis, lose her place entirely. Harris absolutely should hammer on this point though.
I looked a little into this, because it was more fun than most of the **** in the news. Apparently, he does behave like this fairly often while entertaining guests, just not on the campaign trail. But it kicked off when the 2nd member of his audience needed emergency medical care at the event. Assclown he may be, but he's been shot and had people die on him at these things now. Taking things back a notch when he sees people in distress in front of him and trying to vibe it up might be one of the first more human things I've seen him do.

This is my favorite part:
Finally, and relatedly, Defendant claims that the “asymmetric release of charged allegations and related documents during early voting creates a concerning appearance of election interference.” Motion at 5. There is undoubtedly a public interest in courts not inserting themselves into elections, or appearing to do so. See id. at 6. But litigation’s incidental effects on politics are not the same as a court’s intentional interference with them. As a result, it is inf act Defendant’s requested relief that risks undermining that public interest: If the court withheld information that the public otherwise had a right to access solely because of the potential political consequences of releasing it, that withholding could itself constitute—or appear to be—election interference. The court will therefore continue to keep political considerations out of its decision-making, rather than incorporating them as Defendant requests
Finally, somebody turns his "election interference" BS around and says "either choice I make would impact the election (so I'm just going to do my own damn job the way I would do it if you were any other damn defendant.)"

In a segment reacting to his own contentious interview, Baier conceded that Harris may have gotten exactly what she wanted from that interview.
“I think she had a … a mission, that she wanted to do. And maybe, she wanted to have a viral moment, she wanted to have a pushback,” Baier said. “She came to Fox News and she wanted to have a ‘go after Donald Trump’ viral moment that plays on other channels, and on social media. And I think she may have gotten that.”

So, even Bret is saying Kamela got what she wanted from the interview.

Fox News host Bret Baier has said he "did make a mistake" during his interview on Wednesday with Vice President Kamala Harris and that he had intended to show a clip of Donald Trump making comments about "the enemy from within."

Oh, it was just an honest mistake. Oh you silly Bret :)

Baier added that he'd wanted to play both clips to show that Fox News had "asked him the question about that sentence and what he was trying to mean."

Why do people always need to ask Trump what he means just after he said what he means?

Top Bottom