[Feature] Late game content and building changes

New update:
- merged a pull request by merijn_v1: display Hubble Telescope with space background, various fixes related to space projects

Curious about this. I noticed when I built the SDI (or any of the other non-Mars space projects really) in my latest game (two revisions prior to this, so before the Human Genome Project was added), the spaceship GUI would pop up and let me 'add' the SDI to the spaceship. Kind of bizarre. Does the "various fixes" noted in the quote address this?

For the Mars Base viewer screen, do you prefer a seperate screen like the old spaceship screen or a new tab in the victory advisor. (The tab only become available after the Mars Mission is built)

What do you think?

I guess it might be confusing to have to go to a different tab, but if you implement it as before that the tab is automatically opened when a colony part is completed it won't be much of a problem. It's probably better not to have an extra screen.

New update:
- made the AI understand new project effects, and recognise when a project is part of the prereq chain for the space victory
- added specific AI for satellites, letting them defend cities against nukes and attack other satellites if appropriate
- correct prime meridian location: 0° runs through the London tile (due to the fact that the Pacific is compressed, 180° is around Japan)
- correct equator location: upper two thirds of the map are the northern hemisphere, the lower third is the southern hemisphere
- set the northern/southern edges of the map to 75° N/S respectively
- reordered unit classes in the city screen
- renamed Musketman to Musketeer

Last edited:
Nooooooooo why would you absolute madman do something like this?
I love the fact that this is what caught your eye (I also love the fact that Leoreth 'snuck in' the name change in an otherwise unrelated update.)

- correct prime meridian location: 0° runs through the London tile (due to the fact that the Pacific is compressed, 180° is around Japan)
- correct equator location: upper two thirds of the map are the northern hemisphere, the lower third is the southern hemisphere
Is there a reason defining the equator and prime meridian is important for the game? Is it just defining the minimap, or does it affect the AI? (Or is it based on the 'Space Elevator' wonder/project being restricted by latitude?)

There was discussion about that a while back, musketeer is simply the common and correct term for a soldier armed with a musket. There are only few references to the word musketman if you are looking for it.

About equator and prime meridian: the impact on the game is minimal. Longitude and latitude are shown on the tile tooltip so I wanted them to be closer to reality. The only effect on the game is for buildings with latitude requirements: Solar Plant, Spaceport and Space Elevator.

Merged a pull request by Alexius08: fixed musketeers in the 1700 AD scenario

Merged a pull request by merijn_v1: updated Python constants for projects and improvements

That was a very nice article, thank you.

Are the small fixes being noted in the Git Update Log thread also merged with the late game branch, or are they still completely divorced? Just kind of curious because there's some good QoL stuff being pushed out there that would be enjoyable to have while playtesting the late game branch.

I could merge them here, but that will rewrite the branch history and would force everyone to do a force pull or delete and resync the branch, which I would like to avoid.

On the other hand, I intend to keep this branch running for a while so maybe I should keep it up to date with fixes and quality of life stuff. What does everyone think?

In any case, I would like not to do this too often, so I'll at least wait for a while, because there are more things to come in the near future for the develop branch.

By the way, @merijn_v1 , have you considered adding the space pedia background for the Satellite unit as well?

By the way, @merijn_v1 , have you considered adding the space pedia background for the Satellite unit as well?

I did consider it. But I simply forgot about it when I implemented it for the Hubble Space Telescope. It should be a quick update.

Last edited:
Really like the late game content so far. Small thought. I was playing as China, and I understand their research modifier is probably pretty low compared to European civs, which is fair and accurate for the era. But with the cost of late game techs it is very difficult with a relatively lower modifier to boost research output especially since there isn't a whole lot of science-boosting buildings between when you unlock laboratories and the space age. Building all science buildings possible, a strong economy, 90+% research output and good culture/GP output I was still lagging extremely far behind European civs. Now I assume balancing hasn't been done yet but I guess the thrust of my suggestion is maybe putting more science buildings in between labs and the space age.

There are Supercomputers?

Top Bottom