Federal Appeals Court Upholds 'Under God' in Pledge...

MobBoss

Off-Topic Overlord
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...pholds-god-pledge-allegiance/?test=latestnews

Federal Appeals Court in California Upholds 'Under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

AP

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the use of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency, rejecting arguments on Thursday that the phrases violate the separation of church and state.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

The same court ruled in Newdow's favor in 2002 after he sued his daughter's school district for having students recite the pledge at school.

That lawsuit reached the U.S. Supreme Court in 2004, but the high court ruled that Newdow lacked the legal standing to file the suit because he didn't have custody of his daughter, on whose behalf he brought the case.

So Newdow, who is a doctor and lawyer, filed an identical challenge on behalf of other parents who objected to the recitation of the pledge at school. In 2005, a federal judge in Sacramento decided in Newdow's favor, ruling that the pledge was unconstitutional.

"I want to be treated equally," Newdow said when he argued the case before the 9th Circuit in December 2007. He added that supporters of the phrase "want to have their religious views espoused by the government."

In a separate 3-0 ruling Thursday, the appeals court upheld the inscription of the national motto "In God We Trust" on coins and currency, saying that the phrase is ceremonial and patriotic, not religious.

Reached on his cell phone, Newdow said he hadn't been aware that the appeals court had ruled against him Thursday.

"Oh man, what a bummer," he said.

Newdow said he would comment further after he had read the decisions.

Hmmm. Is it possible that the 9th circuit has been getting a bit more conservative since 2002?

Anyway, I applaud the decision. Looks like a win for the good guys and the constitution!!

Can we now put this issue to rest and stop these frivilous lawsuits?

Eh, a judicially unsound decision, but I find it hard to get worked up about the Pledge.

Anyways, the dissenting opinion managed to hand a smackdown to Sarah Palin, so there is something good to be salvaged here.

No we'll take it to SCOTUS.

Right. :lol:

I dont think this particular issue is going to get any further than the 9th circuit. I mean really...if a lib issue like this cant pass there it sure as hell isnt going to pass at the SCOTUS level....

Legal or not, the whole "Under God" thing truly is a load of trash. American identity/patriotism does not rest on the belief in God. I don't care too much about the legal particulars, but it should be thrown out!

Try again a few years from now.
I'm sure MobBoss would just put in...

Really, to be honest. This nonsense on the "under god" is just silly nonsense.

Legal or not, the whole "Under God" thing truly is a load of trash. American identity/patriotism does not rest on the belief in God. I don't care too much about the legal particulars, but it should be thrown out!

But generic Judeo-Christian foundational values response!!!

"A win for the good guys"

LOL, yes mobby. All of us rational people are so badddddd...:lol:

Punditry certainly does befit you.

I thought the issue with the pledge wasn't so much it being illegal, as it being archaic and used to pressure children into some ideology. :confused:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...pholds-god-pledge-allegiance/?test=latestnews

Hmmm. Is it possible that the 9th circuit has been getting a bit more conservative since 2002?

Anyway, I applaud the decision. Looks like a win for the good guys and the constitution!!

Can we now put this issue to rest and stop these frivilous lawsuits?

Where in the Constitution does it say Congress can coerce daily loyalty oaths from school children? I see the 9th circuit couldn't answer that either...

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

See Mobby?

They're frauds

If it's in one's side's interest to peer pressure religious believes into children that's a good thing. Children of that age fully understand that those words in the pledge are merely traditional and patriotic.

83% of our peoples is religious, because we like to breed them that way :thumbsup:

In a separate 3-0 ruling Thursday, the appeals court upheld the inscription of the national motto "In God We Trust" on coins and currency, saying that the phrase is ceremonial and patriotic, not religious.

Trusting in God aint religious now? :lol:

Frauds

I think there'd be less controversy if we turned "Under God" into a reference to some force, rather than an embodiment of a force.

"blessed by Fate", "blessed by Destiny", "blessed by fortune", etc. Something along those lines, a disembodied force that really can't be disagreed with except by people who are REALLY anal about it. It'll put this issue to rest(except for the missionary atheists, of course), and there will be no "good guys" or "bad guys."

Not to be an apologist for the status quo, but a person can also omit "under God" from their pledge if they so wish. Just stay silent during that part. I remember I would do that back in Junior High.

Excellent! Conservatives have repeatedly told me that the 9th circuit is always wrong, chock full of judicial activism, so I look forward to the USSC correcting this.

I still like our old currency line, "e pluribus unum" = "out of many, one".

Any Christians upset at the assertion that God is not religious?

EDIT

While I am glad of the decision, the thing that worries me is that IIRC the 9th is the most overturned court in the land.

Top Bottom