• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Flag Burning!

Ajidica, i'm sure there is some expression you dont like,
Sure, but I don't start off my comments by calling them scum. Generaly the scum-threshold is pretty high.

Just in case you care or want to know, I'll throw a link to what I'm referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Desecration_Amendment

Doesn't sound like something that's very American to me.

I don't entirely agree with it, but it is understandable to some degree how burning the flag, the symbol of a country, could be unpatriotic. Though, for reasons described, and I think GW did a decent job with this, it can actually be the opposite.

In the terms of something being unpatriotic in America though, it seems to me that this would be exactly the opposite.

Isn't America supposed to be founded on the idea of freedom of expression? Even unpopular expression? Banning the burning of a symbol seems to run counter to that idea.

I would concerned with a society that puts so much emphasis into a symbol that it is deemed "holy" or "unburnable". That reeks of fascism of me.

Look, conservatives can burn an Iranian flag, lefties can burn an Iranian flag. That's equality. Those who object are just asking for special treatment.

No amendment, it is free speech.
Is it an appropriate tool? If by appropriate you mean, useful, then, no. It mainly turns people off.
It is unpatriotic. If you don't like the system, work to change it. Doing something that insults a lot of people is not very constructive. It is in very poor taste... and will incite some to violence, no doubt... burn at your own risk.

Why would you want to be patriotic to a system you don't support?

MobBoss said:
Flag burners are scum. Nothing good comes from it.

Why is that?

I think it is hilarious how so many people think burning a flag is such an insult, but then they openly show ignorance or derision of the flag etiquette rules by wearing it as clothing.
Yeah, everyone should just be like sheep.
If those flag etiquette rules were established generations ago, you had better not consider their merit individually. All or nothing, baby.
There is no difference between destroying something, and wearing it.
:lol::lol:

Flag burning for me is at the same level of carrying around a sign (Funny ones excluded) at a protest. Too much time, too little imagination.

About whether it's patriotic, who can tell? Most self-proclaimed patriots I know only love half of America, so the non-patriots probably love the other half.

I think Penn and Teller hit the nail on the head with this one.

Link to video.

Yeah, everyone should just be like sheep.
If those flag etiquette rules were established generations ago, you had better not consider their merit individually. All or nothing, baby.
There is no difference between destroying something, and wearing it.
:lol::lol:
So burning the flag is a deplorable act while wearing it as underwear isn't?

And being respectful to the flag is being "like sheep" while engaging in rampant nationalism isn't?

I admire you consistency.

So burning the flag is a deplorable act while wearing it as underwear isn't?

And being respectful to the flag is being "like sheep" while engaging in rampant nationalism isn't?

I admire you consistency.
I didn't say being respectful to the flag is being "like sheep".
Go back and re-read, if you still don't understand what I mean, PM me.
I imagine the remainder of my post made it clear to most.

Top Bottom